Well i just found out that....

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
i bet u that chick is trying to scam you well * get commission for something so u sign up with her right now somehow haha

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
He is getting his words mixed up I think. He means you are eligible for a FREE 3G iPhone if you bought the original iPhone after May 28th (It's actually the 27th). This has nothing to do with the discussion.
not free at all, they take back your v1 that you purchased since basically they are giving you a extended return period and they credit the cost difference back to you.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is from Information Week for what it's worth.

"If a person bought an iPhone on or after May 27, then they get to upgrade at no additional charge, and get a refund for the difference between the price of the old iPhone and the subsidized 3G model, minus a 10% restocking fee."

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
not free at all, they take back your v1 that you purchased since basically they are giving you a extended return period and they credit the cost difference back to you.
Yes that's what I mean, you'd have to give up your first iPhone for sure.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
This is from Information Week for what it's worth.

"If a person bought an iPhone on or after May 27, then they get to upgrade at no additional charge, and get a refund for the difference between the price of the old iPhone and the subsidized 3G model, minus a 10% restocking fee."
right this is what I wrote 2 pages ago

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't know why you people are getting so many different ideas into your heads. The 3G iPhone 8gb is going to be 199 and the 16 gb is going to be 299. That is it. It doesn't matter who you are, who your carrier has been, what kind of phone you've had. THAT IS IT! And you will sign a 2 year contract. REGARDLESS of your previous contract with AT&T or whomever. Your contract will then end 2 years from that date, no later. It's not an additional 2 years. IT IS TWO YEARS STARTING FROM THE DAY YOU GET THE 3G! It amazes me that everyone is so worried about it. The price for the iPhone isn't a discounted price. That is just the price. lol
The price is MOST DEFINITELY a subsidized price. IF you currently have an iPhone DATA plan on your AT&T account, you will qualify for the $199/$299 price. IF you don't have an iPhone data plan on your account, and you are a current AT&T customer, then you must qualify for an upgrade price to get the $199/$299 price. Currently, there is no "full price" set for AT&T customers that don't have iPhone data plans and don't qualify for an upgrade. That price has not been set or released by AT&T.

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
How about my situation guys: I bought the iPhone on iDay and I have proof (receipts, iPhone plan, etc.) but a few weeks ago my iPhone was stolen by some kids and I bought the cheapest phone I could find at AT&T and am currently waiting until the 3G iPhone. Can I still get the discounted price?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
How about my situation guys: I bought the iPhone on iDay and I have proof (receipts, iPhone plan, etc.) but a few weeks ago my iPhone was stolen by some kids and I bought the cheapest phone I could find at AT&T and am currently waiting until the 3G iPhone. Can I still get the discounted price?
I think you can, just make sure youre still on an iPhone data plan though.

james_s_collins

Jun 21, 2008
In UK on July 11th iPhone 3g will be available as PAYG

Hello,

In the UK, the exclusive carrier, o2, has confirmed that the 3g iPhone will be available on pay as you go on July 11th; basicaly this means that you don't need to sign up to a contract, you just top up monthly with however much you'd like. Major downside is that the phones on PAYG cost up to three times as much as a subsidised handset; I would guess the 3g is going to cost me £300 or more..something like $600.

The benefit for us guys of pay as you go is that we can buy the phone and unlock it, then use it with any carrier. Of course, there will be less chance of a hack coming out quickly as you guys in the USA will all have to sign up for new contracts with AT&T, so the hackers will have no motivation until their contracts are up.

I'm hoping that turbosim is still an option on the 3g, but knowing Apple I think they may have closed that loophole? Maybe not, though.

J.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
The price is MOST DEFINITELY a subsidized price. IF you currently have an iPhone DATA plan on your AT&T account, you will qualify for the $199/$299 price. IF you don't have an iPhone data plan on your account, and you are a current AT&T customer, then you must qualify for an upgrade price to get the $199/$299 price. Currently, there is no "full price" set for AT&T customers that don't have iPhone data plans and don't qualify for an upgrade. That price has not be set or released by AT&T.
Cols-how about this scenario. I bought a BB pearl in April (or so) os '07. Then I gave in and bought an iPhone late Sept of '07. I currently have iPhone data on my old voice plan that I kept, and my ATT account shows I am eligible for upgrade Dec 24, 2008. Do you think I will get the cheap price now or have to wit until December? thanks!

itsrainingkids

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
I am so sorry you have to go through the same thing I do! I have made 5 calls to ATT and 1 personal visit. The truth is you can call 10 people at ATT and get 10 different answers. The best I can tell you is to call ATT one last time. Make sure the person on the phone notes on your profile that you are eligible for an upgrade due to the fact that you are a loyal ATT customer and you in good faith paid your bill for your iPhone> That's it....That's all we have when we are paying our bill and our phone gets stolen. We are not trying to sell the unlocked 16g on Ebay for $1000 with 26 bids. We are just trying to make sure we are eligible when the new 3G comes out.
I'm sorry your phone got stolen. Mine was too! At first it was deemed lost but upon further inspection it was stolen by a bunch of 17 year old "bunnies" (please insert derogatory term here)!
I will post later my experience with ATT, but please make ATT commit to honoring your upgrade before you get off the phone.
Good Luck,
Colleen