Well I think I made a big mistake today.

fastv6

Jan 19, 2008
Well I might have made a big mistake today.I bought an iPhone today and the ad read"Brand New Apple iPhone 8GB - Unlocked".It looked brand new with the plastic still on the screen and in pristine condition.The guy said he only took it out of the box to jailbreak and unlock it.When I picked up the phone it already had the installer app on the screen and the guy showed me YouTube was working and wifi worked with no problem.I told the guy I was already an AT&T customer and I asked him if I just put my sim card it it would it work right away.His answer was yes,just put my AT&T sim card in the iPhone and I would be ready to go.Well I get home and put in my sim card and what do you know,it says NO SERVICE !

After checking things out I found out it was originally a 1.1.2 firmware phone that he jailbroke and downgraded to the 1.1.1 firmware.The Modem Firmware says 04.02.13_G.So my question is this,is there a way to use the phone to make and receive calls with my current AT&T sim card without somehow activating the phone on iTunes?I don't care if it's unlocked for any sim,I just want to use my existing AT&T sim without activating through iTunes.

I searched the site and either I overlooked the answer I am looking for or I am just plain stupid.Sorry if I overlooked the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I don't really know much about this, but do a search for Anysim on google and on this site. That should help you I think.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you're already an AT&T customer you shouldn't need to unlock. You will need to update to 1.1.2.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
You need to make sure you are still on iTunes 7.5 and do not update to 1.1.3

Even if something happens to your phone you can always restore and jailbreak yourself. We have the "How To's" here at the EIC.

Also welcome to the forum.:laugh2:

fastv6

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks to all who replied,and thanks for the welcome KNK.This looks like a great site and everyone seems eager to lend a helping hand.Too bad the other sites I belong to aren't like this one.

I am looking into the things everyone suggested and I will keep you posted.

Thanks again to all.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you must use iTunes. If you don't have a computer or refuse to use iTunes then you have no businesss owning an iPhone... Only heartache will follow..

fastv6

Jan 19, 2008
you must use iTunes. If you don't have a computer or refuse to use iTunes then you have no businesss owning an iPhone... Only heartache will follow..

OJsakila:

Just an FYI.I have a computer and iTunes.Just didn't want to activate through iTunes.

Thanks

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Sounds like you need to bypass activation. The person who sold you the phone might not have done it right. You will need to re-jailbreak the phone which would require you downgrading to 1.1.1, jailbreak and install OK to prep and upgrade to 1.1.2 and use windows.bat to bypass the activation. Use Chris716's jailbreak guide. that should help