Well, I'm officially out..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Firstly, I want to thank the mods here for lifting my ban. I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed, and I acknowledge my level of iPhone invective had become feverish.

This will probably be my final post here, as I'm no longer an iPhone owner. I ended up just 'giving' the device to my nephew over the weekend -- the expression on his face was priceless. Anywhooo... I had just reached my own personal tolerance with the device, it's limitations and 'MY' perceived lack of a productive future with it.

This was my first dip back into Apple products since my old MacII ci, of which took me through most of college and got me hooked on producing electronic music.

Sadly, 'my perception' of Apple's smugness and lack of consumer advocacy put me over the edge, and in the end the device was just making me angrier and angrier. I am reunited now with my trusy Treo750, who took me back without so much as a, "how could you"? How sturdy this device is, both in form and in character. A device that needs no slinky black dress to prove it's stuff out in the world.

The iPhone dresses up nice, but leaves you coming up with 'I have an early meeting' excuses in the middle of dinner.

It's someone elses Monkey's Paw now.

Thanks for you attention to my original email, mods of this site. You've proved righteous. I just hope the device you moniker your site after proves to be just as so.

- I'm out
dbx

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Sorry you had such a bad experience.

I still love me. in fact, my wife is down 2 notches on my rating scale now.

You know, I was at a Birthday party for mt Step Father over the weekend. We all had phones out and everyone was looking over my iPhone. Hands down, it had more features and was faster than My Brother's BlackBerry, My uncles new Nextel phone, and 2 Motorola Razors, one which was on AT&T and the other on Verizon.

Good luck, and hate you feel so cheated and hurt. I however don't. I got exactly what I wanted and more.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sorry to see you go, but glad you've got a great fallback plan. The Treo 750 is an excellent phone, that will be made better once Palm releases WM6 upgrade and adds support for HSDPA. I believe the ROM is floating around the web now if you feel daring. When it comes to keyboards, the Treo 750's QWERTY is unmatched (although it might have competition with the Q9 coming).

Thanks for your comments regarding our moderation here at EIP. Much appreciated.

Good luck with the Treo 750. See you over at ET!;)

-Chris

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Firstly, I want to thank the mods here for lifting my ban. I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed, and I acknowledge my level of iPhone invective had become feverish.

This will probably be my final post here, as I'm no longer an iPhone owner. I ended up just 'giving' the device to my nephew over the weekend -- the expression on his face was priceless. Anywhooo... I had just reached my own personal tolerance with the device, it's limitations and 'MY' perceived lack of a productive future with it.

This was my first dip back into Apple products since my old MacII ci, of which took me through most of college and got me hooked on producing electronic music.

Sadly, 'my perception' of Apple's smugness and lack of consumer advocacy put me over the edge, and in the end the device was just making me angrier and angrier. I am reunited now with my trusy Treo750, who took me back without so much as a, "how could you"? How sturdy this device is, both in form and in character. A device that needs no slinky black dress to prove it's stuff out in the world.

The iPhone dresses up nice, but leaves you coming up with 'I have an early meeting' excuses in the middle of dinner.

It's someone elses Monkey's Paw now.

Thanks for you attention to my original email, mods of this site. You've proved righteous. I just hope the device you moniker your site after proves to be just as so.

- I'm out
dbx

Ummmm...it's a cell phone. While I'm admittedly ignorant to the backstory, I'm amazed that a gadget was apparently cause for so much drama.

K THX BYE.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Ummmm...it's a cell phone. While I'm admittedly ignorant to the backstory, I'm amazed that a gadget was apparently cause for so much drama.

K THX BYE.
Your amazement not-with-standing, a $600.00 cell phone backed a multimillion dollar marketing campaign, to me would evoke an emotional response. Those things combined would give the expectation of something great and hence, a letdown would ensue when said device proved less than awesome.

However, if you're chill with things just the way they are then I bid, "You Da Man".

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
That sucks, Sorry to hear you had such negative experiences with your iPhone. So far i am pretty happy with mine, but i don't need it to do any more then what its meant to do. So its more then enough phone for me.

Glad you have such a great phone such as the treo to fall back on, I was looking at 750 but thought it was to much of a phone for me (lol)

I honestly would of been happy with the new LG CU500, but i said what the heck.. ill try the iPhone.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Your amazement not-with-standing, a $600.00 cell phone backed a multimillion dollar marketing campaign, to me would evoke an emotional response. Those things combined would give the expectation of something great and hence, a letdown would ensue when said device proved less than awesome.

However, if you're chill with things just the way they are then I bid, "You Da Man".
I guess I just accept things for what they are. There are far bigger things to worry about in this world than whether or not a piece of electronic gadgetry is the be-all/end-all. At least it's certainly not to the point where my conduct on a public forum would justify my being banned.

Perhaps your should re-evaluate your priorities.

K

Kamer

So far i am pretty happy with mine, but i don't need it to do any more then what its meant to do. So its more then enough phone for me.
You can buy a phone that does EVERYTHING the iPhone can for half the price, and that phone will also have pic/video messaging, ringtones, mp3 player, voice recording/dialing etc...

I completely agree with the original poster. I sold mine after 3 weeks. I wish I would have found this site earlier. The phone looks great, but fails big time when it comes to performance. The only thing that it's great about it is the web browser. Other than that, it's YEARS behind other phones in technology.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Hey man yo did the right thing. If the phone or gadget didn't work for you the best thing to do is get rid of it and move back to what works for 'ya. An expensive experiment but hey you only live once.

Take care and good luck!

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

K THX BYE.
I guess I just accept things for what they are. There are far bigger things to worry about in this world than whether or not a piece of electronic gadgetry is the be-all/end-all. At least it's certainly not to the point where my conduct on a public forum would justify my being banned.

Perhaps your should re-evaluate your priorities.
Well, it's not just a cell phone! Really!

If you use a laptop for your work and rely on it, then switch to another kind of laptop (say Mac to PC or PC to Mac) and all of a sudden you can't do your work, you would be quite upset. These devices can do MUCH more than just a cell phone, so they approach the laptop example.

As far as losing it on a forum, it is a forum for the device, so one should express themselves fully about said device, while staying within the rules. But regarding the re-evaluation of priorities comment, if he lost it in a forum on something else, like politics or healthcare or whatever, because of the iPhone, then that would require looking at priorities. However, showing passion within each forum for the topic of the forum (without becoming obscene) is certainly something we should applaud rather than ridicule.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
... everyone was looking over my iPhone. Hands down, it had more features and was faster than My Brother's BlackBerry, My uncles new Nextel phone, and 2 Motorola Razors, one which was on AT&T and the other on Verizon.
I don't wanna come off as a iPhone hater. I love my iPhone. I just get chills when people make statements like the above. Exactly what features are we talking about? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the iPhone and some of those other phones.

The iPhone's allure is in the design and operation (and future?), not that it outperforms other smartphones. Not yet at least.

I have a Nokia (dumbphone) given to me by my job and the iPhone here side by side and I can locate a contact in the Nokia (same list in both) and dial it about 5 times faster just by hitting letters on the keypad.

But... it's nowhere near as fun! :) Or as cool! :)

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I don't wanna come off as a iPhone hater. I love my iPhone. I just get chills when people make statements like the above. Exactly what features are we talking about? I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the iPhone and some of those other phones.

The iPhone's allure is in the design and operation (and future?), not that it outperforms other smartphones. Not yet at least.

I have a Nokia (dumbphone) given to me by my job and the iPhone here side by side and I can locate a contact in the Nokia (same list in both) and dial it about 5 times faster just by hitting letters on the keypad.

All I have to say is my friend has a Treo700 on Verizon's network and is running Sling Mobile. He was literally sitting there watching his recorded tv shows on the train ride from Philly to New York with very little latency.

It was pretty much around that time it really began to sink in how feature deprived the iPhone was; as I sat there struggling to text with my wife.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007

The Razor Phones we compared Internet Access and speed. Navigating menus and stuff to get to other functions. Text Functions

My Brothers Blackberry we compared ease of email use, Text Messages.

Remember the 2 Razors were by different carriers too.

I have to say,.. I love both Razor Phones I have. Using Motorola Phone tools and syncing with Lotus Notes for work and other functions were great. But over all phone function beats the other phones I've used.

I've only used a few Smartphones. But both were with Verizon. But they were messy in design and even the phone functions were not as easy to use.

I love my iPhone, can you tell. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
All I have to say is my friend has a Treo700 on Verizon's network and is running Sling Mobile. He was literally sitting there watching his recorded tv shows on the train ride from Philly to New York with very little latency.

It was pretty much around that time it really began to sink in how feature deprived the iPhone was; as I sat there struggling to text with my wife.
Having used Slingbox Mobile on the Moto Q, I can attest to the "cool" factor. I was able to control my DirecTV Tivo box and watch recorded shows or live TV -- all from my Moto Q. Sling Media spoke about wanting to support the iPhone if/when Apple were to open up to 3rd party apps. I think EDGE would be a major hurdle for usability.

-Chris

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007

Prmdbr, I think it all depends on your vantage point. In regards to phone usage, it's the most intuitive phone I've ever had and best iPod. I think Slingbox is a very nice idea, but if I really want to do that on the iPhone, I can watch a feature length movie or nearly any TV show, I just have to get it into the format for the iPhone, plus no latency at all and a larger screen than any BB or Treo.

I'm not sure what issue you're having in regards to texting, but the smart keyboard on the iPhone is simply amazing. I do wish you well and hope that the Treo works out well for you. I simply could not stand too much about the Treo.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Right now the iPhone wins more on looks than brains while other smart phones are the opposite. The hope is that the iPhone, which is also quite young and has good genes, will grow up to become a gorgeous AND brilliant adult ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I wouldn't compare a regular phone (RAZR, or even a WM Smartphone with no touchscreen like a Motorola Q) with an iPhone. They're too different, although each has its place.

Instead, put it next to something like a 3G WM phone with 640x480 touchscreen, Opera browser, and what real users have: free or cheap customized launch screens and apps.

Today-Screen additions such as calendars, photo contact and weather plugins, Microsoft Live Search and Google maps (they finger flick on WM phones too), Flash and TCPMP to stream the real YouTube, etc.

Use a nice launcher and you can even click on a screen full of icons if you wish to act like an iPhone. Throw in Voice Control so you can voice dial, or even control your audio playlists. Add Skype or Slingbox for more fun.

True, comparing them out of the box, iPhone is more useful in some ways. But that's changing as carriers begin to load WM phones up with Opera, Picsel doc viewer, and third party launchers, and push for more finger control.

I think Apple will always have a good market share, but won't have the only easy touch UI for long.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I wouldn't hold anything against anyone who wants to make the switch to another mobile phone.

If you require MMS, copy & paste, and the ability to edit MS Word/Excel files, then the iPhone isn't for you.

No mobile phone is perfect; not the iPhone, not the BlackBerry Storm. The upcoming Nokia will be perfect for everyone. Different phones for different people.