Well this is great..

Sep 29, 2007
Well I will give you my situation. I have restored a multitude of times and even went up to 2.0.2 just to find more problems and guess what I get in return. No 3G anywhere at all...

Now with a situation like this, Id unjailbreak my iPhone and go get a new one but I know that will do nothing as I am not the only one.

I live in Jacksonville Florida which is a big city and we have great 3G coverage but not for the iPhone 3G I assume. I have a Blackjack also and I have 5 bars on 3G on AT&T while on my iPhone 3G I have 0 or if I am lucky outside 1. Those were the good days but now my 3G on my iPhone 3G is gone completly. I have 5 bars of Edge now instead of 0-1 bars of 3G. However my Blackjack is still showing 5 bars of 3G and is reaching 3G speeds on internet browsing.

So please Apple, why must I buy a 3G iPhone when the 3G does not work in a 5 bar 3G area? My brother and mother both have the 3G iPhone, 3 of my friends at school do too and they have the same problem now.

I would blame this on AT&T but however they have great service where I live and great customer support as of now..

I hope that lawsuit does something about this because this is horrible. I am paying $10 extra for Edge data network.

Note:
-3G is turned on were not stupid
-Mine is jailbroken on 2.0.1 ( I was unjailbroken on 2.0.2 but I just had worse 3G problems and went back to 2.0.1)

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
sorry to hear about your problem

here in Tulsa Oklahoma I have great 3G coverage always Full Signal Bars

I love it

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Similar problem here. I had 5 bars on 3G back on my RAZR V3xx and now I have 1-2 bars on my iPhone...

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
If I were you, I'd return it (assuming you are within 30 days) and stick with your BlackJack. Why pay the extra $10.00/month? I guess I'm lucky. No problems of that magnitude for me here in Atl.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I'm in Jax also... I had a blackjack and about the time that Cingular made the change to ATT was when I started to notice ridiculous dropped calls. That's what prompted me to go with v1 and now 3G iPhone. I haven't had any issues with being on 3G. I travel around the city and never notice being on EDGE. I have noticed like 3 mysteriously dropped calls since going to 3G two weeks ago. I'm on 2.0.1 and never jailbroken.

Might just be your phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The latest 2.0.2 update was specifically for those new 3G owners with problematic coverage, getting little to no signal where they normally would have full signal.
The only thing I can recommend to anyone still having problems is to restore it again and if the problem persists, contact Apple Support.
Personally, it looks as though there is a software problem with the phone's 3G radio talking to the towers. Maybe its because Apple put a power limit on the chip, limiting its capabilities... Pure Speculation at this point, but a very plausible one.

Sep 29, 2007
I'm in Jax also... I had a blackjack and about the time that Cingular made the change to ATT was when I started to notice ridiculous dropped calls. That's what prompted me to go with v1 and now 3G iPhone. I haven't had any issues with being on 3G. I travel around the city and never notice being on EDGE. I have noticed like 3 mysteriously dropped calls since going to 3G two weeks ago. I'm on 2.0.1 and never jailbroken.

Might just be your phone.
I live at the beaches which may be why but I still have 5 bars on my blackjack. I in a way work for AT&T its kinda weird and a long story so I have a bunch of different phones but only one I pay for is the iPhone and its "my" phone. So I can say that there is no bad signal where I live its just all the iPhones have horrible signal around where I live.

However downtown I had 5 bars today but my school is near a cell tower so..