Went from perfect service to...

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I went from perfect service in almost every area to no service in a lot of places where it used to work great. I have a V1 iPhone that I got in October of 2007. I was wondering if it's dying out or if it could just be AT&T is just slacking on the service.

Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone heard of this?

Nope, I've been on firmware 2.1 since it launched.
maybe its just a service issue... you can try resetting network settings... it won't delete anything... it may re-arrange your icons but it may help...
go to settings>general>reset>network settings

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
maybe its just a service issue... you can try resetting network settings... it won't delete anything... it may re-arrange your icons but it may help...
go to settings>general>reset>network settings
Thanks but that didn't quite seem to fix it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Any physically rough handling, even slight?

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
No damage whatsoever, it's been in a case the day I got it and maybe has been dropped twice. If the problem continues I'll try a new sim card. Thanks for the suggestions.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I noticed this problem with my 3g the first few weeks I had it. I took it to AT&T store and they did switch out the sim card and they sent some kind of signals to my phone for better reception capabilities they said? But it worked, I haven't had the problem since. I would take it in.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
i fail to see how the SIM card can affect service other than completely failing and thus preventing the device from being identified on the network (resulting in absolutely no signal). add to it if the SIM is not being constantly swapped/removed or otherwise abused.

anyone want to enlighten me, and in turn the OP, as to how some of you came up with this conclusion?

but for my line of troubleshooting, have you changed cases on it recently or anything? any accessories at all? is it just a single location, or is it getting poor reception everywhere you go compared to before? basically, has anything at all changed just prior to you noticing poorer reception?

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
but for my line of troubleshooting, have you changed cases on it recently or anything? any accessories at all? is it just a single location, or is it getting poor reception everywhere you go compared to before? basically, has anything at all changed just prior to you noticing poorer reception?
Nothing has changed. It still gets perfect signal in a lot of places, but I'm just noticing that now it gets no service in a bunch of places where it used to get full.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
Nothing has changed. It still gets perfect signal in a lot of places, but I'm just noticing that now it gets no service in a bunch of places where it used to get full.
sounds like it's just the network then, not the phone. or those places installed some kind of radio emitting device nearby that may be interfering with the signal in those locations.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
i fail to see how the SIM card can affect service other than completely failing and thus preventing the device from being identified on the network (resulting in absolutely no signal). add to it if the SIM is not being constantly swapped/removed or otherwise abused.

anyone want to enlighten me, and in turn the OP, as to how some of you came up with this conclusion?

I have no idea why, I am just saying what they did with my phone when I went to AT&T, they changed the sim card and sent signals to my phone, I don't know why or how it worked? but I haven't had a problem since.

sllmhjn

Mar 24, 2008
India
There seems to be some change in the RF network settings by the network operator! Some change in the existing infrastructure should most likely be the reason for the same.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
There seems to be some change in the RF network settings by the network operator! Some change in the existing infrastructure should most likely be the reason for the same.
So that means....?

taylo105

Sep 6, 2007
im having a similar issue. i got my v1 iPhone on iPhone day. just upgraded 2 days ago to the 3g with my buddy. added his number onto mine for a cheaper rate plan. but my phone has been slipping outa service a lot. at my house i receive full service. i can come back to my phone after a few minutes and itll say no service. my friends phone will have full service. if i restart the phone itll then work for awhile. its just weird how both of us have been having this problem.
could it be the sim card issue like listed above? Im gonna take it into AT&T soon and see if they can shead some light on this. because its realllly annoying