Went to a Cingular/AT&T store in Cleveland.. asked about Waiting List

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey all,

I have 2 things to say:

2) Does anyone have an email address to cingular and/or Apple to contact them..

get back to me on those please
Thanks ;)
I don't think you can expect too much information from them. Everything seems to be pretty hush-hush around Cingular and Apple right now.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Hey all,
1) here in Long Island, New York, all my friends are not interested in the iPhone and i am not hearing many people talk about it. More shocking, when i bring it up, some people have never even heard of it! could this be good news for me or is that just no big deal....also there are like 5 cingular stores and an Apple store all no longer then 30 min from my house. i guess im just lucky....
I have the same situation going on near where i live. there's a smaller cingular store around the block and a bigger one about a mile away. i didn't get the impression that there was much demand at either of them. to me, the cingular stores may be a "diamond in the rough" type situation where everyone is clamoring at the Apple stores and you just sneak around back and pick up your iPhone in 10 minutes and you're out.

i think it's a lot more riskier, but the payoff would be great.

i'm still waiting for an OFFICIAL release date before i plan anything. being in LA there are about 4 or 5 Apple stores within driving distance and countless other AT&T stores. i'll have to weigh my options then.

MICHAELKENNETHTX

May 31, 2007
Hey all,

I have 2 things to say:

1) here in Long Island, New York, all my friends are not interested in the iPhone and i am not hearing many people talk about it. More shocking, when i bring it up, some people have never even heard of it! could this be good news for me or is that just no big deal....also there are like 5 cingular stores and an Apple store all no longer then 30 min from my house. i guess im just lucky....
2) Does anyone have an email address to cingular and/or Apple to contact them..

get back to me on those please
Thanks ;)
In Dallas, iPhone is going to be huge. Went to Apple store again today and they said they are getting a lot of questions about release. While I was there, the iDude registered me on a contact list for Apple and another site for Cingular to contact at first announcement. I don't know the site since the clerk brought it up for me. If you go to the store, I'm sure they will register you as well.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I have the same situation going on near where i live. there's a smaller cingular store around the block and a bigger one about a mile away. i didn't get the impression that there was much demand at either of them. to me, the cingular stores may be a "diamond in the rough" type situation where everyone is clamoring at the Apple stores and you just sneak around back and pick up your iPhone in 10 minutes and you're out.

i think it's a lot more riskier, but the payoff would be great.

i'm still waiting for an OFFICIAL release date before i plan anything. being in LA there are about 4 or 5 Apple stores within driving distance and countless other AT&T stores. i'll have to weigh my options then.
Same thing here. Went into local At&T store today and talked to the manager there and he said he has had a few people asking about the iPhone but not a bunch. He doesn't expect it to pick up even after hte release date is announced

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
In Dallas, iPhone is going to be huge. Went to Apple store again today and they said they are getting a lot of questions about release. While I was there, the iDude registered me on a contact list for Apple and another site for Cingular to contact at first announcement. I don't know the site since the clerk brought it up for me. If you go to the store, I'm sure they will register you as well.
haha, the iDude...nice. never heard them called that before. :p

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Welcome to EIP!

This sounds like good news to me. I'm hoping every store will be selling them on a first come first serve basis.
I agree that this would be excellent, and I am hoping there will be plenty to go around. Hopefully the $600 price tag will push most people away, leaving more for us. That said, although this is what we want to hear, there have been mixed reports. Some have said that demand will be greater than supply, while others, such as the one on which this topic is based, state the opposite. We can only hope, and will have to wait and see.

As for the waiting lists, I have heard that most of them have been thrown out, and I, as well, hope that these will not be accounted for. I don't see how they would be able to use them, though, because I believe AT&T told their stores not to make waiting lists. The store near me stated that they had so many people (50) on the waiting list that they stopped it. I don't know if this means they will still use it but only sell to those 50, or if it is completely scrapped. I hope the latter.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
AT&T stores do NOT have waiting list, those are strictly forbidden for launch products. Many have call lists. I.e. when the first shipment comes in, everyone on the list will be called, but it's still first come, first serve. If you're first on the list, but last in the store, you're SOL.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
waiting list? i hope they have enough...still waiting on a wii haha
AT&T stores do NOT have waiting list, those are strictly forbidden for launch products. Many have call lists. I.e. when the first shipment comes in, everyone on the list will be called, but it's still first come, first serve. If you're first on the list, but last in the store, you're SOL.
We were on a call list for the Wii, got a call, and picked it up. :laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
that's good news. I hope they stick by that policy (especially for the next month or so).:laugh2:

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
waiting list? i hope they have enough...still waiting on a wii haha
that is my worst fear. if the iPhone is anywhere near as bad as the wii in terms of supply we'll NEVER get one.

there is one key difference between wii and iPhone. when wii was released, not even Nintendo knew the thing would be as popular as it was. i read an article that said that they did NOT anticipate the immediate demand for the wii.

everyone and their mom knows the iPhone will be a massively popular product, and i'm hoping that the supply available on release day reflects that.

i won't bother looking for the link, but there was an article that quoted a well respected IT financial analyst for Piper Jaffray (who would have some sort of decent 'inside' information), saying that there would be sufficient supply to meet the demand on release day. i'm crossing my fingers that this is true.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
that is my worst fear. if the iPhone is anywhere near as bad as the wii in terms of supply we'll NEVER get one.

there is one key difference between wii and iPhone. when wii was released, not even Nintendo knew the thing would be as popular as it was. i read an article that said that they did NOT anticipate the immediate demand for the wii.

everyone and their mom knows the iPhone will be a massively popular product, and i'm hoping that the supply available on release day reflects that.

i won't bother looking for the link, but there was an article that quoted a well respected IT financial analyst for Piper Jaffray (who would have some sort of decent 'inside' information), saying that there would be sufficient supply to meet the demand on release day. i'm crossing my fingers that this is true.
Me too!:sick:

tompayne

Bronze
Apr 12, 2007
i thought this was interesting. 200,000-300,000 a month would put over 100 iPhones in each store, if distro was equal.

MICHAELKENNETHTX

May 31, 2007
you know, it seems that Apple will have plenty of units to cover national demand. The more units are out in the public immediately, the better the pr built-in value

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States

I sure hope so, too. There are many people saying stuff like this, so I hope they are right! :)

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
To compare numbers:

Wii-first 12 months: 6 million units sold.

iphone-first 12 months: expected 10-12 million units.

These figures are rough, but expect twice as many iPhones as there were Wiis. I think these two items are Apples (heh) and oranges as far as the marketing strategy, price and end consumer, but hey at this point why the hell not compare em!

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I agree that we really can't compare the Wii with the iPhone. I don't think people who need a new cell phone will be as willing to wait months to get an iPhone as people who want to play a video game are. If Apple doesn't produce enough iPhones for people to get them in a reasonable amount of time, I think they will lose a significant number of sales to their competitors.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Well, shortages didn't seem to hurt the Wii. They still don't have enough, but it's getting rave reviews.
yes and no. there is a certain amount of opportunity cost lost by not having the supply available right away. there is always a certain percentage of buyers that become frustrated with the shortage and will move on without ever making a purchase.

so, while it may keep people 'interested', shortages aren't always best for the bottom line.