Were never getting our updates. Must read!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
so after this latest announcement from STEVE JOBS I have come to the conclusion that Apple will never give us mass sms, cut and paste ECT. I believe that all future updates will only be revenue generators for Apple like OTA ringtones and stuff like that that we have to pay for. If they were planning on doing this it would be done by now. Apple is only concerned about their bottom line. They are not going to spend the money on man hours and development for something that is not going to give them any sort of return on their investment. It sucks for us but its good businesss. Just the way it works. Anyone agree?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Im starting to think the same as well. After the price drop and lack of updates, I have begun to really look at Apple in a different light.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
so after this latest announcement from STEVE JOBS I have come to the conclusion that Apple will never give us mass sms, cut and paste ECT. I believe that all future updates will only be revenue generators for Apple like OTA ringtones and stuff like that that we have to pay for. If they were planning on doing this it would be done by now. Apple is only concerned about their bottom line. They are not going to spend the money on man hours and development for something that is not going to give them any sort of return on their investment. It sucks for us but its good businesss. Just the way it works. Anyone agree?
Welcome to the consensus of early August, 2007.

"Hey now, heeey now -- don't dream it's OOOOVER"

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
i encourage disagrement. thats what makes the posts interesting. However, you are required to back yourself up with some sort of tangible and logical argument.
I don't think he's required to back anything up. :)

With that said, I honestly don't care. I love the iPhone the way it is. Would I like updates with more feature, sure, but am I going to post things like this complaining about it, no.

Joe

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
I don't think he's required to back anything up. :) Joe
Thanks Joe ..... I really didn't read any "tangible and logical" information in the OP message that made his words valid.

On the other hand ... there have been 2 updates since June 29, 2007 ... maybe not to everyone's liking, but you can't argue this fact. Also, it was mentioned this past Wednesday that the Starbucks integration would be included as a software update to the iPhone (ala the iPod Touch) by the end of this month.

I guess that's the only tangible and logical info I have that leads me to disagree with the OP.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
JiggyMatt,

I agree with you. Apple will create revenue models to exploit more $$ from us. I'm not holding my breath for the features you list. The copy&paste is a thorn in my side.

I may drop iPhone and go back to my Treo 700p and buy a new Nano.

Dave

P.S. I had my iPhone at my Dad's cabin this past weekend and not being able to play Bejeweled "off-line" to pass the time - was a big disadvantaged to me.

iCheez

Sep 4, 2007
JiggyMatt - Are you new to Apple products?

If a product did everything you wanted, why would you buy a new one next year?;)

I'm going back to looking at the iPhone as what it is, a handheld computer. In that line of thinking, Apple offers small updates such as security settings and even iTunes updates for free. We've already seen this with the iPhone. On the other hand if it's a larger undertaking creating an OS change or major application change, they charge for it. Which I see no problem with this.

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Apple pissed me off so much, I'm thinking of taking my iMac and Airport Extreme back.

I really love the iPhone. So much so that it made me buy a new iMac, which I really enjoy for the most part. But I feel like Im being screwed. They haven't come out with any real updates for the iPhone. It's BS!

I think I will take the imac and router back...get my 1700 back from Steve Blow Jobs.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I mildly disagree with the OP. I do think we are going to get a little more over time. I don't think that everyones hit lists will make it, for the simple reason that we are a small voice. IF we could somehow get a larger publication like USAToday or CNN.com to put this on the front page again we might have a chance.

This next patch to the phone will be telling. I don't like that Apple does not include update notes, something I have gotten very used to seeing with other companies, but we will see. I have a little faith left in them b/c they are still signing agreements with the overseas markets to get the phones into the hands of people over there. They will need a positive flow of information heading over with it. Updates with features will go a long way to show commitment to the device. The showboater that SJ is indicates to me that he will not want this to flop.

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I don't disagree with OP, but I went into the iPhone expecting this. I have no problem spending $2-$5 for new iPhone apps that I want. First thing I said to myself when I got my phone was wow Apple really has a new platform to take the iTunes model to a whole new level.

What a businesss in it to make money? The shame! Get real, I do not see whats the big deal to pay a few bucks for iChat if you really want it. The thing I am surprised about it how slowly Apple seems to be taking advantage of it, but I guess it makes sense they want to get it in as many peoples hands as they can.

I am also sure Apple will offer some apps for free.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
While I do think Apple's businesss model is becoming more dollar-centric and less idealistic (which really could have been a illusion all along), it's a little premature and reactionary to assert that we will get no meaningful updates for software driven product that's very much in it's infancy. I think we all agree this device NEEDS c/p, file management, and Flash support. I think a decision to not offer these functions will hurt future iPhone device acceptance. To suggest that it won't be done due to man hour commitment is totally ignoring what seems like common sense. Don't forget that Jobs may not have used the most tact in the way he initially dealt with the whole suck it up attitude, but his attempt at rectifying the situation has been swift and pretty smart. Whether or not we'll get all the functionality we want remains to be seen, but we ALL knew what we were buying when we signed the contract and bought anyway. I continue to love my iPhone. I may be a little disillusioned with Apple at this point, but no more so than any other tech company.

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I disagree whole heartedly. Yes there was a lack of updates yesterday and I'll give you two very good reasons for that:

1) iTunes Wi-Fi Store. This had to have taken quite a bit to develop for both the iPod touch and iPhone. This is also something that can act as a "Zune Killer" since Microsoft put Wi-Fi in the Zune but the bone heads left out the ability to purchase music. They beat MS to the punch by getting a Wi-Fi store out to the market first.

2) OS X Leopard. Many people forget that Apple makes computers and operating systems too. They pulled developers off of Leopard to get the iPhone out the door on time. They no doubt sacrificed a few features to get it out on time. Now they have a deadline (next month) to ship Leopard so efforts need to go back to it. Once Leopard is out the door I think you'll see more focus able to shift back to iPhone. I have no doubt we'll see some very cool updates for the iPhone in the months to come. Just my opinion though.

Im starting to think the same as well. After the price drop and lack of updates, I have begun to really look at Apple in a different light.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
Not to be a prick, but you paid for what you paid for. Did the box say, FUTURE UPDATES? NEW SOFTWARE? NO, we all got what we new we were getting...

Would I want and love MMS and all that neat stuff? YES!

But I did know what I was buying when I brough it.

I do think it needs some bug fixes like mail/Ipod.

BUT, I'll wait and see what the ringtone and wi-fi add on does.

Also while yes APPLE is making money off the Wi-Fi iTunes, I still think it's an awesome and NEW feature we were given with out knowing.

Finally, what do you all expect, APPLE IS A BUSINESS NOT NOT FOR PROFIT. Sheesh it kills me when we all (yes me included) get on some rampage about price drops and this and that, because in the end folks Ijobs and Apple are in it for the bling blin $$$$$$$$$ Like every other company.

Love,

IKross

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I think that Apple will eventually release major updates, and the reason I think this is because there are a lot of people out there that won't buy an iPhone because it doesn't have MMS, copy & paste, and file storage. If they update these type of things and give the iPhone most of the features its lacking that many other smartphones have, it will bring more customers to Apple, so it's not entirely like they won't be getting money from making these updates, it wouldn't be directly but they would get the money. And if money is the main issue, why not go ahead and build them and then sell them via iTunes! We all know there would be tons of people buying these updates even if they charged us! Thats what that $100 rebate could buy us! haha.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
i encourage disagrement. thats what makes the posts interesting. However, you are required to back yourself up with some sort of tangible and logical argument.

tangible |?tanj?b?l| adjective perceptible by touch : the atmosphere of neglect and abandonment was almost tangible. • clear and definite; real : the emphasis is now on tangible results. noun (usu. tangibles) a thing that is perceptible by touch.

Tangible is a nice big word, but not appropriate here while trying to check someone about their opinion. I've never been able to touch one of my opinions or posts here. I'm just saying.