Were You Pleased with The New iPhone Update 1.1.1 ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Were You Pleased or Displeased With iPhone Update 1.1.1 ???

• Pleased

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • Displeased

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Didn't Update

Votes: 33 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ucla24

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I don't see any reason to update iTunes or iPhone software. This update provided nothing worth giving up my mods and apps.

Swagfndr

Jul 30, 2007
Laguna Heights CA
My iPhone is stock and I liked the update. I use the ihone for what it is, a cool new toy to play with at work. The Volume was the biggy for me. It was the complaint that I always mentioned to everyone when they asked about the phone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I like my apps and my unique customized iPhone over anything that this update is offering. I won't update unless I can get it all back.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
There should be an "indifferent" category. I updated, it's fine, I'm not super-excited about it but not bummed either. I voted "pleased."

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
There should be an "indifferent" category. I updated, it's fine, I'm not super-excited about it but not bummed either. I voted "pleased."
I second that. Though I'm leaning more on the side of displeased overall the update didn't do anything for me. And WiFi store will prob never get used.

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
i didn't update because i want my own custom ringtones which i don't have to pay for and third party apps such as summerboard, nes, im and what not. waiting for the dev team to hook it up:laugh2:good luck dev team

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
Apple wants me to give up all my cool 3rd party apps and free ringtones for the sole benefit of giving them MORE money via iTunes over WiFi. BOOOOO!

I have NEVER bought music over iTunes, and if they keep this up I probably never will. I will wait for the jailbreak and iBrickr folks to update then maybe I will apply 1.1.1. BTW, my iPhone is NOT unlocked....

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Displeased doesn't even describe my true feelings.

I am without question disgusted beyond belief. :(
Me too. Apple has gone out of their way with this update to make it difficult or impossible to install 3rd party apps. It's locked down as tight as the iPod Touch, which to date has not been jailbreaked. Think about that.

I don't think the outcry has even begun, as most people are just assuming that AppTapp and iBrickr are going to be updated quickly. I don't think that is going to happen, and least anytime soon.

The iPhone "hype" if you will is not nearly intense now as it was on June 29. As such I don't think the iPhone devs are going to go at it with same level of frenzy like they did the first time around. And I wouldn't blame them after Apple slammed the door in their faces.

I'm thinking of offering my 1.1.1 iPhone to someone in exchange for 1.0.2, for like $100. That's how much I can't stand 1.1.1. Not the touted new features in 1.1.1 mind you, I certainly don't mind new features, but the fact that 1.1.1 places the iPhone back into its tiny little walled-in garden.

Methinks this will have negative ramifications for Apple, though it might take a few days for reality to set in for a lot of folks. And this is not counting the fact that the update is apparently rendering some unlocked/unmodded iPhones inoperable with AT&T.

--
Mike

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
I will not be updating. I liked my additional apps and I am going to keep them.

I have customized my phone to my liking. I have never bought anything from iTunes and will proably never will.

If this is the end to custom apps, iPhone sales will drop.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Me too. Apple has gone out of their way with this update to make it difficult or impossible to install 3rd party apps. It's locked down as tight as the iPod Touch, which to date has not been jailbreaked. Think about that.

I don't think the outcry has even begun, as most people are just assuming that AppTapp and iBrickr are going to be updated quickly. I don't think that is going to happen, and least anytime soon.

The iPhone "hype" if you will is not nearly intense now as it was on June 29. As such I don't think the iPhone devs are going to go at it with same level of frenzy like they did the first time around. And I wouldn't blame them after Apple slammed the door in their faces.
I think that what the developers do will depend on how difficult it is for them to find workarounds for 1.1.1. If it turns out that a substantial number of modded iPhones were really rendered permanently inoperable by the update, that will certainly dampen enthusiasm overall.

I'm thinking of offering my 1.1.1 iPhone to someone in exchange for 1.0.2, for like $100. That's how much I can't stand 1.1.1. Not the touted new features in 1.1.1 mind you, I certainly don't mind new features, but the fact that 1.1.1 places the iPhone back into its tiny little walled-in garden.
I'm a bit surprised why you installed it, since the new features and the ramifications were well known within a few hours of its release. I know that it's often hard to resist temptation, but if I were happy with my modded iPhone I would have waited a few days at least.

Methinks this will have negative ramifications for Apple, though it might take a few days for reality to set in for a lot of folks. And this is not counting the fact that the update is apparently rendering some unlocked/unmodded iPhones inoperable with AT&T.
It all depends on what happens with iPhone sales and reactions. If Apple thinks that only a tiny minority of buyers will be upset by the upgrade, they probably won't change anything in the short term. And that may be the case - I suspect that only a small number of people have modded their iPhone relative to the > one million sold.

I'm also not convinced that Apple will never offer a SDK. They must have one for internal use. It'll be interesting to see what happens after Leopard ships, and especially if the newly-rumored PDA turns out to be real.

Meanwhile, I did install 1.1.1, and I'm somewhere between indifferent and slightly positive. I may occasionally buy songs over Wi-Fi iTunes and a couple of the other features are OK.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes I waited yesterday and read you guys posts. I am passing on the update for now even though I would like the volume fix and whatever else there is besides wi-fi store. I am truly sorry about the bricked unlocked phones and the 3rd party apps not working is unforgiveable.

On a side note, tinman, I saw yesterday how you got screwed into updating by listening to false reports.... When I saw what happened to you, I became extremely hesitant...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm a bit surprised why you installed it, since the new features and the ramifications were well known within a few hours of its release. I know that it's often hard to resist temptation, but if I were happy with my modded iPhone I would have waited a few days at least.
Let's see... First I received an email that mentioned there was a confirmed report here on EIP that AppTapp still worked after the update.

Then I came here and read for myself the very same confirmed report. Yes I should have waited, but I didn't think anyone could make a mistake on something as impossible to miss as this.

I was wrong. If you read the first few pages of the 1.1.1 thread you will see how that person has now changed his post. While I of course blame myself, I am still a little ticked that this person recklessly posted that 3rd party apps were OK--how the heck could you ever have thought otherwise if you actually tried it?

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Let's see... First I received an email that mentioned there was a confirmed report here on EIP that AppTapp still worked after the update.

Then I came here and read for myself the very same confirmed report. Yes I should have waited, but I didn't think anyone could make a mistake on something as impossible to miss as this.

I was wrong. If you read the first few pages of the 1.1.1 thread you will see how that person has now changed his post. While I of course blame myself, I am still a little ticked that this person recklessly posted that 3rd party apps were OK--how the heck could you ever have thought otherwise if you actually tried it?

--
Mike
Same with me. I saw somebody say apptapp still worked so I got the update.

Ugh now its a POS device.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Same with me. I saw somebody say apptapp still worked so I got the update.

Ugh now its a POS device.
LOL... no, it's not even funny.

There were many reports BTW like that on modmyiPhone. Someone suggest (in just, obviously) that the people were being paid by Apple to trick others into updating. While that is obviously not true (I would hope) I still find it hard to believe how anyone could make a mistake like that.

But of course if you asked me on Wednesday if I was going to update I would have said, no--not until it was confirmed that it doesn't kill 3rd party apps (even if we had to restore, which I expected to have to do). I guess I should revisit what I consider "confirmed."

--
Mike

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
I guess I am in the minority here I like the iTunes mobile store and have no complaints about the update. I did have my phone modded when I first got it but I decided to go back with the phone in its original form and have no problem with what the phone does stock.
I just use the phone for music, internet, phone, lists, and calendar reminders for me what else does it need to do!

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
You know, I can only count on 1 hand how many people have actually bought music from iTunes. Now with Amazon and a few other places opening up 75 cent songs I will not need to buy anything from there.