Were You Pleased with The New iPhone Update 1.1.1 ?

Were You Pleased or Displeased With iPhone Update 1.1.1 ???

• Pleased

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • Displeased

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Didn't Update

Votes: 33 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Methinks this will have negative ramifications for Apple, though it might take a few days for reality to set in for a lot of folks. And this is not counting the fact that the update is apparently rendering some unlocked/unmodded iPhones inoperable with AT&T.

--
Mike
There are, what, more than 1 million iPhone out there now? Only a tiny fraction of those have been hacked/unlocked. Most iPhone users synced up Thursday, said "oh cool, iTunes," and went on about their day, blissfully unaware of the shitstorm brewing on EIP.

Web sites like this tend to magnify problem, making them look more widespread than they really are. My guess is that this is barely even a ripple on the Apple pond.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
Sucks, man. Best of luck in getting back up and running. I saw the same post you did and probably would've synced immediately if I hadn't been at work.

But didn't I see an earlier firmware downloaded and mirrored from somewhere after the last update? I may be wrong, but doesn't anyone have the package offline? Doesn't seem like rocket science to have captured the download package and rehosting it, although I am no expert in this. I would think that the dev folks would have done this to reverse engineer their apps. No?

LOL... no, it's not even funny.

There were many reports BTW like that on modmyiPhone. Someone suggest (in just, obviously) that the people were being paid by Apple to trick others into updating. While that is obviously not true (I would hope) I still find it hard to believe how anyone could make a mistake like that.

But of course if you asked me on Wednesday if I was going to update I would have said, no--not until it was confirmed that it doesn't kill 3rd party apps (even if we had to restore, which I expected to have to do). I guess I should revisit what I consider "confirmed."

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Sucks, man. Best of luck in getting back up and running. I saw the same post you did and probably would've synced immediately if I hadn't been at work.

But didn't I see an earlier firmware downloaded and mirrored from somewhere after the last update? I may be wrong, but doesn't anyone have the package offline? Doesn't seem like rocket science to have captured the download package and rehosting it, although I am no expert in this. I would think that the dev folks would have done this to reverse engineer their apps. No?
Yep the 1.0.2 software was available for download, and I made sure I DL'd it beforehand, as there were indeed remarks that you could reload it (hold down shift when pressing Restore in iTunes). While the shift trick works, restoring to 1.0.2 fails.

So I am hoping, if jailbreaking proves to be problematic and a long-term goal, that there is some sort of "Restore to 1.0.2" hack that appears first. I'd be perfectly happy if I could just go back to 1.0.2.

Of course if it does prove impossible to jailbreak the iPhone I would imagine 3rd party development will start to dry up, as the target audience is probably going to dwindle. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen!

--
Mike

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Damn man, that sucks.
I actually restored my phone a couple days ago in anticipation of the update, and waited before trying to mod my phone again.
Then last night, I couldn't even get iTunes to say that the update was available. even right now, it says 1.0.2 is the latest software and to check back on Oct. 1st.
So I found someone that posted the location of the update and started the 150MB download, and in the meantime started reading the posts of those that had already gone down that road.
I am DAMN GLAD i wasn't able to run the update. As much as TV out would be neat, VNSea, and Voice Notes is more important to me.
I'm writing another one of my infamous letters to Apple again... no doubt that it probably goes to no one and they never see it, but I wm writing it none the less.
It goes without saying that Apple has made this one of the fastest selling phones on the market, but it seems that their consumer's calls and cries are ignored to stay more focused on their bottom line.
Personally, I think the iPhone is a great product, but missing the mark in a few respects that no one would have expected, since the things forgotten are so common place now.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I just wanted to know if people were pleased or displeased with iPhone update 1.1.1 ? Please explain what you liked or disliked about the recently released iPhone update. Also, please post if you decided not to update and why..M
I was very pleased. This is the first cell phone I have ever owned where the company is actively developing for it and actually adding features.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
wish i could update mine. too bad its already unlocked. and i on cingular/att contract. i don't even care about 3part app. i don't even use it. all i care is the ringtone, but i don't get that many calls

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I voted Pleased and I did update, but it's not really the correct answer.

I am NOT pleased at all by the bricking of 3rd party apps. As others have mentioned in these forums, if Apple was showing stronger, faster support - even giving *hints* at what's to come, this would be much less of an issue. But as it stands, with only 1 new app and multiple missing features ongoing in 3 months, and no word of anything else, it's fairly disappointing. I'm hoping we'll be unbricked and Apptapping again soon enough which would render this less of an issue.

That said, right after I bought my phone, I was sitting around one day at home saying how cool it would be to have an online iTunes directly on the phone with a similar interface to the YouTube app. While it took way too long to get here, I really like the iTunes app. It's much less cluttered than the iTunes store these days, and gets you to key places very intuitively. Browsing for songs is more fun than it is on the computer.

What I hope this means is that Apple does want to continue supporting us with new Apps, but they just want to take their time and nail the interface as best as possible before releasing anything. So it's just going to take longer to get stuff. What I *think* it actually means is they continue to not know exactly what to do software-wise with this incredible hardware they've released. And/or are simply incapable of producing on the fast pace that the users are demanding.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I want to say something about the programming that goes into the iPhone on Apples' behalf.
It takes a while to develop full blown apps that stay within the guidelines set by Apple and that utilize the hardware to the best of it's ability. That means that probably MOST of what did show up in the 1.1.1 update was probably on the drawing board close to the time (or even before) the iPhone's actual release. So obviously, playing catch-up to customers demands as far as software functionality takes time.
It's probably going to be around the first of the year before they actually get around (if they plan on it) to the requests for multi texting, copy paste, and other requests.
That being said, it's obvious that some of the programming was done very recently, do to the blocking of third party apps, and bricking of unlocked SIMS. And, since the new firmware hasn't been hacked yet, that means that the encryption was also increased. Was this done diliberately? Personally, I say yes, but it's possible that it was a coincidence.
So, patience is a virtue at this point for both sides of the fence. Have to wait and see if Apple actually comes out with something that doesn't directly work towards their revenue, and to see if the new encrypted OS can be hacked by the people that broke the code last time.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
It makes it a lot easier for me to buy songs I like on iTunes without the hassle of always having to boot up the computer and deal with the syncing immediately, etc. I am happy with the iPhone overall, and I really can't complain about it!

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Let's see... First I received an email that mentioned there was a confirmed report here on EIP that AppTapp still worked after the update.

Then I came here and read for myself the very same confirmed report. Yes I should have waited, but I didn't think anyone could make a mistake on something as impossible to miss as this.

I was wrong. If you read the first few pages of the 1.1.1 thread you will see how that person has now changed his post. While I of course blame myself, I am still a little ticked that this person recklessly posted that 3rd party apps were OK--how the heck could you ever have thought otherwise if you actually tried it?

--
Mike
Yeah, it sucks, I know.

There's a lot of misinformation on the Web, whether it's from people who are intentionally trying to mislead or people who make honest mistakes. Even sites like Wikipedia, which is widely quoted online as an authority, has a lot of incorrect facts.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Yeah, it sucks, I know.

There's a lot of misinformation on the Web, whether it's from people who are intentionally trying to mislead or people who make honest mistakes. Even sites like Wikipedia, which is widely quoted online as an authority, has a lot of incorrect facts.
Hold on one minute...I just want to make this very clear...everything that is on the internet is the truth...please ask Al Gore...he invented it.