Westworld (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Europa, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Rating: /5 - Vote
    Westworld is my favorite show that's on right now. I just heard it got renewed for a second season and will likely return in 2018. *happy dance*

I haven't seen Sunday's episode yet, but I heard it had a 9.8 on IMDb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Just watched the latest episode. Man, nice plot twist!!

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Excellent show. "Do you ever question the nature of your reality?" :)

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

One of the best new shows....

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Spoilers below!

"It doesn't look like anything to me." Damn, it was heartbreaking to see Bernard realize he's a host. I loved the foreshadowing in the elevator when he told Teresa he related to the hosts more than humans. He's always had Arnold's disposition. I still think it's possible that Ford created robot Bernard in Arnold's image, but I guess it's more likely that the two of them just happened to be similar in nature. I think Bernard was real 10 or 11 years ago and when he started getting too close to the hosts, just like Arnold did, so Ford killed him and replaced him with something he could control.

What a way for Teresa to go - being brutally killed by her lover, who's actually a robot following Ford's orders. I think Ford will send up a robot version of her in the next episode. He seems to be trying to gain complete of control so he can do whatever he wants. If he could get the most powerful people of the world to visit his park and then send back controlled versions of them in their place, he could essentially rule the world.

When they do the demo with Clem, they say the tech is a host programmed to register as a human to the other hosts. I wonder if this could possibly mean that Maeve's two techs can reprogram her to register as a human, which would make her impervious to the bullets like humans are. If so, that could help her escape.

In episode 1 when Clem was brushing her finger over her lip (the reverie) it could actually have been a part of her awakening/a memory of her getting beaten and feeling her busted lip.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Anyone want to discuss theories?

I’m wondering if Delores is actually Wyatt. Arnold ordered her to destroy the original town in Westworld where the hosts were trained to act human. Right as she holds the gun up to her head, you can see that she is looking at herself in front of her. I think Wyatt was a backstory created by Ford. Teddy said Wyatt could hear the voice of God and Delores is being instructed by the voice of Arnold. Teddy could be the male shooter we see who's blurred out. Maybe when the little girl asked Delores if she found what she was looking for, she had given her a riddle to find the gun that we see her dig up earlier in the season. Immediately after the little girl asks her that, the shooting spree begins.

There are three major timelines:
    1. Training town 35 years ago. This is where the massacre/critical failure occurs.
    2. William arrives at Westword about 30 years ago (five years after the park opens).
    3. Current time. MiB wants to find the maze so he "never has to leave again.”

A lot of the characters carry over. The dancer in the training town who trails away from her partner and has to be led back by an instructor is the snake girl from the current time line. Maeve is another of the dancers. Angela (sole survivor found by Teddy and MiB) walks by with an umbrella and smiles at Delores as she walks into town. Angela is also the girl who greets William at the train when he first arrives at Westworld. We also find out Logan is a host when he rides up on a horse as a different character after being left for dead by William a couple episodes back.

I think William might be young MiB. He left Westworld and married his fiancé and 30 years ago and now feels responsible for her death. Maybe by going back and finding the maze, he can change everything by just staying with Delores instead of going home and getting married.

I think the maze is just a pattern that symbolizes the truth behind Westworld. MiB said it revealed itself to him and he saw something he never saw before (she truly looked alive) when looking at Maeve and her daughter in the maze pattern in the field.

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You've noticed more connections and details than I have. About all I can say is that your theories certainly seem plausible. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I was wondering about the 'real' world, seems like they have the technology to create life, I often wonder if the people running the park itself and the entire operation are yet another great simulation and there are higher beings running the show.

9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I'd like to know what year this show takes place in.

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm guessing you mean the "West World" part of the story? I assume the guests arrive from our own timeline.

I don't know enough about American history but I'd guess we're looking at roughly the mid 1800s. ;)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So Teddy was the blurred figure from last week who Wyatt/Delores turned on and Bernard was created in Arnold's image. It was chilling when Bernard used Arnold's voice to try to lure Ford back by calling him by his first name. Nice try; that voice clearly affected Ford for a second. We've seen Ford age throughout his entire life; he's real. And he's evil. He gave Bernard his memories back simply to be cruel. Even though he has complete control, he forced Bernard to kill himself. "What happened to the neanderthals? We ate them." Ford suddenly reminded me of Hannibal Lector in that scene.

So it's pretty safe to say now that William is definitely MiB. The timelines and motive align perfectly. He appears to be treating Delores badly, but ultimately it's just the path to setting her free. If anyone doubts this think about how all the hosts who are injured by William and Logan are early host versions and we've never seen William and MiB together. Pretty brilliant having the timeline shifts with Delores coincide with Bernard's discovery.

Maeve's building and army and will possibly start a revolution.

A recurring line being delivered made us realize Bernard was a host: "It doesn't look like anything to me." There was lots of foreshadowing before that, but that was the moment it was revealed. William said, "And don't call me Billy" this episode. Maybe MiB will use that line to make us realize he's William?
    Well, there are several different timelines I outlined in my last post, but the current time, which is what I'm assuming you're asking is probably not too far in the distant future. I'm gauging this by the clothing, styles and decor in young Ford's life and house in the woods and also the photo of William's fiancee (Logan's sister) that Logan pulls out while pleading with him that Delores is just a sexbot he needs to forgot about and go home to his fiancee. Abernathy later finds the photo in the dirt and has an epiphany.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh, one more thing. I love how Bernard wasn't programmed to be able see himself in the photo earlier in the season. Ford showed him the picture of Ford, Ford's father and Arnold/Bernard midway through the season, but all Bernard could see was Ford and his father. The far right of the photo "didn't look like anything" to him and would have just appeared blank.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Been rewatching some of the episodes looking for specific differences in the interactions between Delores and William and Delores and MiB (Ed Harris). Delores is becoming self aware while she's with William, and he in turn falls in love with her. At some point shortly after this she gets reprogrammed and stops questioning her reality. She acts like a host in the scenes where she's with MiB. I think looking for the maze is really his search for a way to get her back on track to becoming self aware. Once he pulls this off, she'll remember who he is. 30 years ago, she told William there was a path for everyone, but she never thought to ask where that path was taking her. He references her when talking to Teddy here:

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 3.20.12 PM.png

It's a love story. Her path will eventually lead her back to him.

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Nice. That makes total sense.

I'm confused about and/or forgetting something. When they found the transmitter in that host that bashed his own head in, did they ever resolve who was responsible or to whom they were transmitting to? Was it Ford transmitting data to himself so he'd have a backup if the board disrupted his plan?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Elsie told Bernard she had discovered that Theresa was using the old bicameral control system to control the woodcutter/stray and the satellite uplink to transmit the data. But she also learned that someone else has been using the system to retask the older hosts. Some of the changes were to the hosts’ prime directives, which could allow the hosts lie and injure guests. She said it appeared that Arnold had made the modifications. We later find out that Bernard is Arnold and he is being controlled by Ford. Ford then has Bernard/Arnold kill Elsie and Theresa.

So, you are correct. It was Ford.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I see that a lot of folks are interested in Westworld. I decided to look it up on Wikipedia. One of the genres this show belongs to is "Western" and that was an immediate turn-off, as I have an aversion to western movies. Is this show any good, in spite of this classification?

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I don't think @Europa likes it at all :LOL:

19. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It's one of the best shows IMO. Don't let the "western" aspect put you off. While most of the show is set in a "western" style adult theme park, it's more of a science fiction/suspense drama than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Talk about reading a book by its cover. Wikipedia? Have I taught you nothing. ;) Check the reviews on IMDb.