Wet iPhone

BiGZeus

Sep 19, 2007
right my phone got wet and was sent away for repair its broke they say void on warranty so my insurance covered it i will get a new phone on monday anyway everything works on it accept the power button, is there a way to fix it? or anything like that you know of.

anyway the phone turns on when plugged into iTunes and my pc but when i take it away about 5mins latter or so it resarts and i see the Apple logo then blank screen Apple logo blank screen again and again any ideas on a fix ?

fourtheye28

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Whoa there slow down buddy! I've heard good things about placing it in rice or silica balls. Good thing it powers on or you'd have to dip the motherboard in distilled water...

Vidiot

Jul 2, 2008
I'm not putting it in a sealed ziploc bag with a soft piece of bread might help. Basically look up a way for something next to it to absorb the water, like fourthey said :).

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
drop a drop of bleach down the earphone hole where the indicator lies. Send the phone back.

Or see if you can put it in DFU mode. Unlock it. Sell it.

BiGZeus

Sep 19, 2007
wat 2 do

Rright I will start again:
[1] my iPhone got wet and was returned to Apple <--- uK
[2] it was returned and was decided it was not covered on the phone warranty because of water damage, but my insurance covers phone damage.
[3] The phone was sent back a week later, and an insurance claim was accept a new one will arrive Monday 7th 08.
[4] I want to fix it to sell tbh but as the power button does not work and when unplugged from iTunes and my pc it will last 3mins or so and it seems to restart over and over again but doesn’t go into the iPhone its self just get the Apple/black screen/Apple/black screen.
[5] is there a way to fix this, or do I sell on eBay broke or send to 1 of these mobile phone recycling places who will give me £70 broken then when new 1 arrives on the 7th sell that brand new on eBay and on the 11th I get my 3G iPhone. =] I’m done

Also for some odd reason when plugge into my pc it stays on fine and works great? why =[

i tired leaving the cable in when itook my phone to work i didn't get very far =[ and it was heavy !

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Tip:
Punctuation really helps us help around here :)

Yeh if you use the bleach trick, it turns the water indicator back to it's original colour of red, and then Apple don't know that it has been broken by water.

BiGZeus

Sep 19, 2007
2late as it has been to the Apple guys

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Tip:

Yeh if you use the bleach trick, it turns the water indicator back to it's original colour of red, and then Apple don't know that it has been broken by water.
How about using correct wording.:laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Tip:

The original color actually isn't red, it's a metallic white. Also, Apple is a singular entity of a company, so Don is right with the "doesn't". Either way, red is the color when the indicator has been triggered.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
The original color actually isn't red, it's a metallic white. Also, Apple is a singular entity of a company, so Don is right with the "doesn't". Either way, red is the color when the indicator has been triggered.
*shuts mouth and states at the floor*

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It's all in good fun man. Just messing around with you a bit.

See, I almost asked what you were doing for the 4th before remembering you're on the other side of the pond. :laugh2:

JoeyOso

May 5, 2009
Fishing + iPhone = bad time

This isn't the first phone, that I've dropped in the pond while fishing....Just the most expensive. I caught a nice record bass and was insistant on getting a picture. So, bass in one hand iPhone in the other it slipped and tumbled down the bank and into the water. I grabbed it out immediately and it was still working long enough to snap 2 quick pics. From there it went downhill fast and quit working completely. Faded screen and then the white screen others have mentioned. I popped out the sim card, and tried to shake and blow out as much water as I could to no avail. I read about the rice and silica packets (got about 8 out of my wife's shoe boxes) on this site and after a cool hair dryer (30-45min) I put the phone in tupperware with 4 bags of rice and the packets. I left the phone in there for the rest of the day and overnight (approx 18-20hrs). This morning I plugged it in and powered on. After about an hour of charging, there appears to be NO ISSUES! :laugh2: I think the key is to not attempt to power on the phone until the interal components are completely dry which could take hours or days, but I'm not tech inclined it's just my assumption. Thankfully I foung this remedy and this site.

jesse285

Jul 23, 2009
I dropped my iPhone in a cup of water. its been a few days and it works fine when i have it on the charger but when i disconnect the iPhone from the charger it goes blank with just the white Apple on the screen? Could it be the battery or is it just screwed? Thanks

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Try putting in a bag of uncooked rice and let it sit under a lamp for at least a week. You need to let it really dry out and don't try to turn it on during that time. Some people suggest leaving it in your car for a couple of days in a bag of rice.....you could put in under the seat. I wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight.