We've been punked! Cisco owns iPhone

idannyb

Dec 15, 2006
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cell...mark-belongs-to-cisco-222336.php:embarrassed:
It's not what any of us expected. The iPhone is a voip phone made by Linksys. Cisco, their parent company, has owned that trademark since 1996. And they're announcing their product in a few hours.

All through this, I'm reminded of the Brucesploitation era. When Bruce Lee died, imitators, under names like Bruce Le and Bruce Li came out with their own films to fill the void. Fans would hear the name, glance at the spelling, see the false idols, and move on. How can anything live up to the name?

So the iPhone is a VOIP handset, and not by Apple. Now, the bigger story presents itself: What will Apple call its cellphone? – Brian Lam

More: The iPhone is Dead: What Will Apple Name Its Cellphone Thingy Now?

P.S. Macheads--including those from Macrumors, Think Secret, TUAW, and Cult of Mac--know Apple likes to release gear on Tuesdays. So they probably didn't expect an Apple iPhone today, even after my original post. If you did read into it incorrectly and feel like I misled you, apologies for the discomfort.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Cisco totally took advantage of that name to create hype around a very boring product. The executives over at Cisco must have been laughing it up for quite some time.

tambermn

Dec 15, 2006
www.theradepoint.com
I'm sure they are getting a kick out of it, but is it going to help their sales? They have known for years that the rumors were focused on Apple and they did nothing to dispel them, now people are pissed and probably not going to buy.

Connectz

Jan 10, 2007
Like I said in another thread, they (Cisco) seriously needs to up the "iPhone" moniker because NO ONE will buy that garbage they (Cisco) is putting out.

Would any of you buy this garbage?

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
They are just drawing attention to themselves in a negative way. I'm sure you can chaulk it up to bullying Apple into signing the final agreement. On the flip side, I bet the lawyers at Apple are probably asking for a few changes to the agreement. This latest move just puts pressure on Apple to, as they say in Friday Night Lights, get r done.

Looking at both products reminds me of the jingle, "one of these is not like the other"..

I cannot think Apple would announce the iPhone to the world if that agreement was done (or VERY close).

-Chris

BTW- Friday Night Lights is a great, yet under watched show on NBC. Airing on Wednesday night, it is must see TV.

badczech

Jan 11, 2007
Connectz...The Cisco iPhone will sell plenty. It is targeted towards Mobile Business in that it can connect to a Corporate VoIP network, connect to a POTS copper network as well as a Cell Network all at the same time. Just because its ugly and doesn't have some 'cool' Apple ********* with an Emo haircut holding it doesn't mean it won't sell.

Cisco has owned the trademark for iPhone since the 90's...long before Apple had become the "i" company it is now...long before the iPod.

Maybe Cisco should just buy Apple to put an end to it. :p

integrity

Mar 13, 2007
Cisco totally took advantage of that name to create hype around a very boring product. The executives over at Cisco must have been laughing it up for quite some time.

I think the executives at Apple were doing the same thing. I'm sure they were thinking they would never have to pay a penny to Cisco. Educating the public for free using this fiasco definitely helped their cause.

gmplr831

Mar 12, 2007
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cell...mark-belongs-to-cisco-222336.php:embarrassed:
It's not what any of us expected. The iPhone is a voip phone made by Linksys. Cisco, their parent company, has owned that trademark since 1996. And they're announcing their product in a few hours.

All through this, I'm reminded of the Brucesploitation era. When Bruce Lee died, imitators, under names like Bruce Le and Bruce Li came out with their own films to fill the void. Fans would hear the name, glance at the spelling, see the false idols, and move on. How can anything live up to the name?

So the iPhone is a VOIP handset, and not by Apple. Now, the bigger story presents itself: What will Apple call its cellphone? – Brian Lam

More: The iPhone is Dead: What Will Apple Name Its Cellphone Thingy Now?

P.S. Macheads--including those from Macrumors, Think Secret, TUAW, and Cult of Mac--know Apple likes to release gear on Tuesdays. So they probably didn't expect an Apple iPhone today, even after my original post. If you did read into it incorrectly and feel like I misled you, apologies for the discomfort.
Its not that Apple wanted to have their name stolen, or cisco to come out with the same product, it just worked out that way i suppose.