What about a 5-inch screen

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by bogie1519, Apr 25, 2013.

1. bogie1519

bogie1519 New Member

Does anyone think Apple will ever come out with a 5in screen for the next iPhone.
    I know its been talked about on every forum. Iv'e had every iPhone since day one. so i'm not
    a johnny come lately. But lately the grass is looking greener on the other side. No way i go Android
    so that leaves Nokia 920 windows 8 phone. did i just say that. i'm using a windows 8 pc and even with all the bashing it's not that bad. office 360 and skydrive are big improvements. didn't mean to ramble on. my point is imho if Apple would come out with a 5in screen it blows all phones out of the water and they would break all sales records...

anyone have any hands on experience with the Nokia 920 phone.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Five inches? Not in the foreseeable future.

3. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

I don't believe the 5s will have a 5in screen. For the same reasons Apple gave for delaying its release of an LTE iPhone, going to 5 inches will require design balance (battery, pixel density, CPU).

I'd like to see a 5in iPhone. I've really come to enjoy the larger Android devices such as the S3 and Nexus 4. Other than a different perspective of how mobile computing can be done, I found the experience relatively seamless in jumping between the two.

I've used a Lumia 822. Although it doesn't have the screen size of a 920, it does have WP8. WP8 is very immature compared to iOS. You'd be just as satisfied by the current BB10. iOS and Android are the most mature OSs available today.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't understand the fascination with huge screens on mobiles. It wouldn't fit in our pockets, couldn't be used single-handedly and it would look ridiculous when we held it up to our ears. The existence of iPad mini and Apple stating how they want to maintain one-handed usability are pretty good indications that they aren't going to cave here.

5. Nikhil Gorwani

Bronze

It doesn't seem likely that Apple will come out with a 5in screen.

6. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I gotta say, I'm REALLY wanting a bigger screen. I have big hands and LOVE the look of the Galaxy S III. However, I think the S4 is getting too big. I think once a phone hits 5 inches, it's getting too large. I can't go Android, though. The only thing that's keeping me with the iPhone right now is the Apple ecosystem (can't really afford to re-purchase all the apps I use), the seamlessness of iCloud, and the fact that I'm a Mac guy and so much of my software works with my iPhone. It's no longer because I think that the iPhone is a superior device.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone (I've had every version but the 3GS), but other phones are catching up and passing the iPhone. Amongst the top four phones (S4, HTC One, BB Z10, & iPhone 5 according to Cnet), the 5 has the WORST ppi in the bunch! The "Retina Display" has been surpassed big time. Colors seem to pop more on the S3. The display on the 4s/5 is not lacking, and I know that the iPhone has other things that are better (camera, for instance), I just don't thing there's a gap anymore. It's all down to preference at this point.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Kevtrinh

Kevtrinh New Member

Bigger screen, bigger iPhone! No thanks! Not for me! I'm happy with the 4 inches IP5. It's easy to pocket, one hand usage is great. If I really want a phablet, I would get an iPad mini!

8. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

I've had an iPhone from the beginning, although I've skipped generations here & there. I currently have the 4S... but I would LOVE a bigger screen. I'm old, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. LoLz

9. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I would like to see a 4.7 inch screen like my Nexus 4, which I am able to use one handed. I find that my iPhone 5 is just to narrow. If it was a bit wider, it would be great, maybe a 4.3/4.5......

~S

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I feel ya. I'm currently testing an Android phone and really like the larger screen. I also love the automatic word wrap in the browser which reformats the text when you zoom in. None of the third-party browsers for iOS has this ability to word wrap. It's great for tired and/or older eyes.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

And there is no option for word wrap in Cydia, either. Why is this not a possibility on the modified iOS?! It's the one thing Android has that I really, really want.

12. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

The word wrap thing isn't really an issue to me. I usually go for the mobile sites anyway. And if I do have to deal with the full site I usually go for the reader feature which makes the text a lot easier to read. As far as having a bigger screen. I had the Note 2 and the screen was amazing. Watching videos, reading books, and viewing web pages was a great experience. What wasn't great was trying to use the diaper with one hand. Even with the one-handed mode turned on, holding the phone with one hand is awkward. The phone wouldn't fit in my cup holder in my car. The keyboard wasn't easy to type on either. Let me explain this because it would seem that it should be easier with the bigger screen but it wasn't. The compact keyboard of the iPhone allows me to type quickly and accurately without moving my finger great distances. The larger the keyboard the more your fingers have to stretch when typing and the harder it is to be accurate and fast. At least it is that way for me. Typing in landscape mode was even worse.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was thinking about word wrap yesterday and couldn't find a site that the iPhone didn't already have properly formatted. I do usually use mobile sites, so it's not really a problem for me. Come to think of it, the site that really got me coveting word wrap was eiC. That was back before the mobile template was made, so it's since been resolved. I can't think of a single reason to switch to Android at this point. That was the only thing that tempted me, but it was no where near enough to make me switch. I have way too much to lose and nothing to gain...as long as I can keep my jailbreak. That being said, I'd still rather use a stock iPhone than an Android.

14. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

After all the hullabaloo about using the iPhone with one hand and using your thumb to navigate the device I can't see Apple going with a bigger screen.
    I've been using the htc one for the past month and its a lovely phone with great sound out of those front facing dual speakers but trying to do anything with one hand is near impossible, so I'm back to my ip5 the only thing I want to change is the colour I went for black when i first got my ip5 and I want to change to a white one.

Sent using iCafe app