What amazes me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It blows my mind that I still hear about people who have not modded their phone yet because of lame reasons like they're too afraid, it's too hard, or they think it's dumb/not worth it. How could anyone pass up hundreds of free programs, like GBA/NES/PS1 emulators, mass texting/forwarding, MMS texting, Etch a Sketch, free ringtones, or GPS? Or great games like iSnake, Labyrinth, or iPhysics? I cringe to think of ever going back to my stock iPhone with basically only YouTube and Safari for fun. I would die.

Anyone who hasn't modded yet is seriously missing out. And anyone who hasn't done it and ridicules others who have done it is, in my mind, an idiot.

EDIT: A lot of people seem to think that I am calling everyone who doesn't mod their iPhone stupid. I am not saying that. I have underlined the misunderstood quote in red, which is calling people who RIDICULE OTHERS for not moddong idiots. People who selectively choose to avoid modding I don't think are idiots, I am just impressed that they avoid something so easy and wonderful.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
I totally agree with that. I love riding the train in the morning and playing a lil mario or black bass on nes LOL also I'm really loving that iphysics right now. I recommend if you haven't modded yours yet to go and do it its an amazing phone with all these apps on it but if you chose not to do it that's fine to just don't talk smack about the people who did. We all spent our own money and can do whatever we want with our iPhone I'll never go back to a stock iPhone though.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
It blows my mind that I still hear about people who have not modded their phone yet because of lame reasons like they're too afraid, it's too hard, or they think it's dumb/not worth it. How could anyone pass up hundreds of free programs, like GBA/NES/PS1 emulators, mass texting/forwarding, MMS texting, Etch a Sketch, free ringtones, or GPS? Or great games like iSnake, Labyrinth, or iPhysics? I cringe to think of ever going back to my stock iPhone with basically only YouTube and Safari for fun. I would die.

Anyone who hasn't modded yet is seriously missing out. And anyone who hasn't done it and ridicules others who have done it is, in my mind, an idiot.
So are you saying its totally safe and there are no possible side effects to modding/adding 3rd party apps? If so, how difficult is it.

I'm not missing doing any of that to my iPhone. I don't need to play games on it and I don't need a GPS or tip calculator and any of those hundreds of other apps. Why do I need them? My iPhone already does everything I needed it to do or I wouldn't have bought it.

I don't need MMS, I don't need copy and paste, I don't need fancy ringtones, the iPhone has it's default and they work just fine. I don't need GPS, I already have a REAL Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS that works perfectly.

So yeah. I'm happy with my iPhone the way it came from the factory. It amazes me when people seem to be amazed at why I don't need them.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
It amazes me that people seem to think calling others idiots based on their choices and needs is the thing to do.

Not everyone feels the need to mod. If you've done so, why be so critical towards the people who haven't or just don't want too! ?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm glad you're enjoying modding your phone to the hilt, but if someone doesn't want to do that then that is their choice. There's something to be said for downloading and installing a new firmware. It's sort of like Christmas morning everytime. And the best thing about it is, that it doesn't void the warranty.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
This is like calling anyone who drives around in a showroom-condition car a moron - just because they don't have some stupid furry dice and a leopard-print steering-wheel cover!

Bonkers.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What amazes me is that you took the time to make this post instead of putting another program on your phone. What purpose does this serve?

I mean really, what lick of difference does it make to *YOU* what *I* have or don't have on my phone? Sometimes I really don't think people think stuff through before posting...

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ

I have this thing. It takes up a lot of my free time. It's called "my life". When you're older (no sarcasm or insult intended) you'll understand. It's the cliché of all clichés but it's true. When I was younger I though older people just weren't trying hard enough to "stay young" but that isn't how it happens.

Seriously, enjoy messin' with your phone or what ever else you enjoy. You'll miss it one day.

Nothing better then waxing poetic about crap that don't matter, it's a right of passage so leave the guy alone.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
For what it's worth, my $0.02 on the subject is while jailbreaking adding third party apps has become almost trivial, there are still some instances where it renders your iPhone in a state where you have to restore. Some people don't want to go through that and don't have the time. While I don't think I could live without my phone being jailbroken anymore, some people don't need it and good for them.

I have a technology problem so I've alway got to have my stuff hacked to heck and back again. Otherwise I'm not happy :)

test5477

Dec 10, 2007
I have jailbreaked my phone but did not use the apps after the first week. Also It effected the performance of my phone, it crashed, apps quit and overall just not worth it to me.

Also, the OP is out of line posting like he did. Personal taste and choice are just that, whats good for you is not going to be for everyone. Grow up.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The only people I called stupid are the ones who ridicule others for modding. For those who just simply haven't modded, I say to each his own, but I don't understand why you would pass up such a great thing. But I still have respect for you and it's your own choice. I think people are misunderstanding my post.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

i wouldn't call them stupid for not wanting to manipulate their phone to work in a way that it wasn't YET intended. everybody knew 3rd party apps were an eventuality. I applaud those who are patient enough to wait. Me, I went ahead and bought a phone I didn't have to hack. I do miss the iPhone a little bit though.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i wouldn't call them stupid for not wanting to manipulate their phone to work in a way that it wasn't YET intended.
Once again, I DIDN'T call people who don't mod their phone stupid! Only people who RIDICULE others for doing it. That's a big difference.

The only thing I say to people who avoid modding their phone is: Why? You're missing out!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not missing doing any of that to my iPhone. I don't need to play games on it and I don't need a GPS or tip calculator and any of those hundreds of other apps. Why do I need them? My iPhone already does everything I needed it to do or I wouldn't have bought it.

I don't need MMS, I don't need copy and paste, I don't need fancy ringtones, the iPhone has it's default and they work just fine. I don't need GPS, I already have a REAL Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS that works perfectly.

So yeah. I'm happy with my iPhone the way it came from the factory. It amazes me when people seem to be amazed at why I don't need them.
He took the words right form my mouth.

I admit that jailbreaking is very easy. I'm not scared of it. And using SSH is a blast. But every time I jailbreak, I get unwanted, unexpected restarting, freezing, and major instability. The solid features of a stock iPhone are worth more than that to me.

I have no problem with people that jailbreak. If they enjoy using those applications, that's all fine with me. But it's my decision whether or not to jailbreak, and I choose no.

I'm not going any further with this thread. It's going to give a lot of people reason to fight with each other. Personally, I think this is a pretty pointless thread. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

- John

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
i paid 400 bucks for my phone, it better do more than just surf half the web, make a phone call, and text 1 person at a time.

Modding = <3

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
The only people I called stupid are the ones who ridicule others for modding. For those who just simply haven't modded, I say to each his own, but I don't understand why you would pass up such a great thing. But I still have respect for you and it's your own choice. I think people are misunderstanding my post.
Hey Wild, do you listen to Medeski Martin and Wood?