What are good apps that i can get if i do jailbreak, can I restore if it goes bad?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
ok, i have had my phone for just about a month...and a lot of people are talking about jailbreak and how good it is
What are some good apps that i can get if i do jailbreak? If i do i and mess up all i have to do is a restore?

I don't want to mess up my phone my parents would kill me.

Last edited by a moderator:

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
I jailbroke my phone, installed apps, changes themes and was happy for about 4hrs. Then i did a restore and have not looked back. I had no use for any of the apps and different icons were not worth the risk of an unstable phone. That is not to say that apps harm your phone, but a slight chance is more than I want for my device. Apple service vs. iBlackjack, I choose service.

Some people, most users here, swear by apps. They are just not for me. Most likely the worst thing that will happen is a restore. So be sure to sync before you jailbreak.

Good luck and have fun!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
In the worst case, you could destroy your phone. But 99% of the time, if anything goes wrong, you can restore.

Everyone sees jailbreaking differently. Some people cannot live without 3rd party apps. But I can't stand jailbreaking because every time I do it (I've done it 11 times) my phone starts freezing up and becomes really unstable.

If you are to jailbreak your phone here are some of the few apps I like:

- Sketches: Sketches is like an Etch-s-Sketch, but allows you to take photos
and trace them, use different backgrounds to draw on, use different colors and sizes, and export your drawing to the camera roll.

- Customize: By far my favorite app. Customize is exactly what it says it is: it allows you to customize you phone. With it you can change your carrier logo, the color of your SMS bubbles, your slider images, etc.

If you have Firmware 1.0.2 or previous, you'll have to use one of the methods that is done via an application on your computer. But if you have firmware 1.1.1, go here and you'll be able to jailbreak right from Safari. (On your iPhone.)

tran_man

Sep 28, 2007
I did the jailbreak on my 1.1.1 about 6 times and I've restored it everytime. It just makes my iPhone perform less than ideal. There are a bunch of free, cool apps that I would love to use but not at the expense of having such an unstable phone. One of these days I'll jailbreak my phone again.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
I am running 1.1.2 firmware with the jailbreak and i have had no problems with my phone with this jailbreak.

With the old TIFF exploit jailbreak it ended up making me unable to connect to itune but all i had to do is restore, which is moderatly painless.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Let's put it this way: more than a quarter million unlocked iPhones out there. Every one of them is jailbroken, and I've yet to hear any of them complain about performance or stability. There are probably another 100-200 thousand of jailbroken iPhones (but not unlocked). Do the math.

I am on 1.1.2, and it is of course jailbroken. Stable as can be (more stable than ever, actually--and 1.1.2 has a real performance boost, in that the CPU is running at a higher speed).

I for one am not about to wait till March 2008 for third-party apps blessed by Apple (and it could take even longer for a variety of useful apps to appear). If I wanted a 2008 iPhone I would have waited till 2008 to buy one.

--
Mike

jrbnc

Sep 14, 2007
I had installed Sketches a month or so ago. I tried to help a friend install but they don't see it under the apps list. They have the bsd subsystem and all the other sources available.

Did sketches get removed from the app list?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Let's put it this way: more than a quarter million unlocked iPhones out there. Every one of them is jailbroken, and I've yet to hear any of them complain about performance or stability. There are probably another 100-200 thousand of jailbroken iPhones (but not unlocked). Do the math.

I am on 1.1.2, and it is of course jailbroken. Stable as can be (more stable than ever, actually--and 1.1.2 has a real performance boost, in that the CPU is running at a higher speed).

I for one am not about to wait till March 2008 for third-party apps blessed by Apple (and it could take even longer for a variety of useful apps to appear). If I wanted a 2008 iPhone I would have waited till 2008 to buy one.

--
Mike
With all due respect, there are more responses in this thread currently that bring up stability as an issue than posts that say it isn't.

On unlocked iPhones....who can they go to for service really. AT&T? Nope. TM? Nope. Apple? Nope.

Weigh the risks if you are going to jailbreak is all I can say. I am of the opinion that there is nothing out there right now that makes even the slightest risk of a brick worth it personally.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I've never had a problem with my 1.0.2 jailbroken and highly modded phone. The problem is I could'nt resist the temptation to update because everyone was talking about louder ringtones and such.... Whatever... I wish I had never upgraded to 1.1.2 last nite because all day today I could'nt hear the ringer and now I'm stuck looking at that silly ass homescreen..."where are you plainjane?"
agrhhhh.... I can not figure out how to go back or how to jailbreak this firmware like Tinman speaks of... Guess I gotta start "searching" for a way....