What are my options for a phone with neg. black issue?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I've never really noticed until it was pointed out that this was not supposed to be like this. I just thought it was the way the phone was.

I've had my 4gb iPhone since about a week after it intially came out. The phone has never been hacked or anything and it's running the latest 1.1.1 firmware.

I bought my iPhone from an ATT store and all of the phones I've bought over the last ~14-15 years of service with them have all had a 1 year warranty on them. I'm not sure what or how my warranty will work since it's not ATT's phone.

I'm not sure what they'll do. Will I have to pay to have it fixed or what?

Any advice?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While I am not entirely sure what a "negative black issue" is (I'm assuming you're not seeing a true black color but an off-black instead?) but the iPhone comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. If the issue is anything that has to do with failing hardware then Apple should fix it for free according to the rules of their warranty. I recommend going to an Apple store and having a genius take a look as soon as possible.

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Since noticing this I've started reading around the internet and have read that when some people have went to a Apple store for help with the issue. Some of the genius' would not trade out or admit there was a problem and I don't want to get into a debate over what I feel is a problem.

Is there a video that I can download off iTunes that replicates the problem? I've only just recently started watching a few videos but they are not very good candidates for showing the problem. The quality of my videos are pretty poor.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Not really sure what your problem is yet... But if its like YoungBinks described it could be that when you have a LCD display Black then back it with a backlight.. it does that... Seems pretty normal to me if you really think about it, but then again.. Im really not sure if this is your problem or not..

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
This has happened to me. It IS a legitimate problem. I went to Apple.com, scheduled a Genius the next morning. I showed him this page. If all is working right the box furthest left should be darkest. On mine it was not because the screen was screwed up. The Apple guy compared to his phone and another employees phone and then replaced it on the spot. Just say that your dark videos are nearly unwatchable and show them the website.

cjmal

Oct 1, 2007
Like the poster above me said, this is definitely a problem and is the exact same problem that affected the iPod touch, although it seems that the iPod's screens have been fixed and the iPhone's haven't. Check out the photos below (these aren't my photos by the way). I'm receiveing my phone today, I really hope mine doesn't have this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: