What are people looking forward to the most about the iPhone 5?

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Meh. Not bothered about battery, I can always charge. I want to do it for test purposes alone, sad I know, but it'll be my device which I've paid for, thereforee I should be able to do whatever I like to it.

Over clocking a smartphone like the Galaxy S2 doesn't make it slightly faster... it becomes much faster. Admittedly it can become unstable if you take it passed 1.4Ghz, still jaw-droppingly fast, though.
Hey bud I don't mean it in any disrespect in my previous comments I really want to know how you get on with it :). I myself feel it's to risky.
So please let me know how you do get on :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I used to overclock my computers all the time. Phones, however, are a different matter. There's no easy way to add a giant heatsink to a phone and I have no wish to cut my battery life and possibly damage the phone itself. It's an interesting hack, I suppose, but nothing more than that.

I also have no wish to use a hot, unstable phone.

Reactions: debest74

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Meh. Not bothered about battery, I can always charge. I want to do it for test purposes alone, sad I know, but it'll be my device which I've paid for, thereforee I should be able to do whatever I like to it.

Over clocking a smartphone like the Galaxy S2 doesn't make it slightly faster... it becomes much faster. Admittedly it can become unstable if you take it passed 1.4Ghz, still jaw-droppingly fast, though.
It's not like the speed increases exponentially. Going from 1 to 2 GHz would be twice as fast, but it would also be unstable, have horrible battery life, and decrease the life of the hardware, so it just isn't logical to me.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I'm waiting to see it on Sprint. With the better prices on plans I'll just wait for the JB for free tether and jump ship quickly to Sprint. If push comes to shove I'll just end up buying an EVO on Sprint and using it exclusively as a mobile hot spot and continue using my current iPhone like I use it now doing everything over data with Google Voice.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Or I might buy that EVO from a current Sprint customer who can't get an early upgrade subsidy. I'll get the used EVO at a reduced price so they can upgrade to the iPhone 5 and continue with my plan for mobile hotpsot.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hey bud I don't mean it in any disrespect in my previous comments I really want to know how you get on with it :). I myself feel it's to risky.
So please let me know how you do get on :)
I know, don't worry. I highly doubt we will gain kernel access on the iPhone 5. So I can't see it happening anytime soon :(

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
It's not like the speed increases exponentially. Going from 1 to 2 GHz would be twice as fast, but it would also be unstable, have horrible battery life, and decrease the life of the hardware, so it just isn't logical to me.
For this reason alone, Apple will forever be playing catchup to Android. At least when it comes to hardward. unless they change and go with a removable battery. lets not forget the quads are coming out soon on Android and with that the cell phone will now have dynamic lighting and 1080p HD displays.2560 x 1600 display with 1440p HD

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, it's about time with quad-cores. It took dual-core to achieve anything close to smooth scrolling on Android. Think of what quad-core could do! It could create a cool ecosystem and user experience! :D
Oh, wait...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
For this reason alone, Apple will forever be playing catchup to Android. At least when it comes to hardward. unless they change and go with a removable battery. lets not forget the quads are coming out soon on Android and with that the cell phone will now have dynamic lighting and 1080p HD displays.2560 x 1600 display with 1440p HD
That's a fair statement, couldn't agree more. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Apple put a quad-core chip into the iPhone 5... not going to happen, though. I don't think having a removable battery is a plus, the current battery in the iPhone 4 is great, unless you're referring to the need to replace it on the go due to overclocking.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I don't think having a removable battery is a plus, the current battery in the iPhone 4 is great, unless you're referring to the need to replace it on the go due to overclocking.
How about being able to change the battery on the go with a spare one because you don't have a charging source readily available?

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
their are a lot of folks out their who have 2 jobs or work while going to school, and some don't have cars or an office to plug in their cell phones when the battery gets low. now i had an iPhone4 and i know for a fact that i could not go through a whole day without a recharge. hell i was lucky if the darn thing madee it to 3pm. keep in mind i wake up at 6am and get home around midnight. that means my iPhone would be down for approx 9hrs. not gonna cut it in my life. now an extra battery cost like 10 bucks and it only takes approx 5secs to repalce before your up and running.

Reactions: debest74

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
their are a lot of folks out their who have 2 jobs or work while going to school, and some don't have cars or an office to plug in their cell phones when the battery gets low. now i had an iPhone4 and i know for a fact that i could not go through a whole day without a recharge. hell i was lucky if the darn thing madee it to 3pm. keep in mind i wake up at 6am and get home around midnight. that means my iPhone would be down for approx 9hrs. not gonna cut it in my life. now an extra battery cost like 10 bucks and it only takes approx 5secs to repalce before your up and running.

This X 1000

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Talking about battery, I have heard its better but how many more hours with the upgrade of the battery do you think we will get?

And what was roughly the difference from iPhone 3GS and iPhone4 (battery wise)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Talking about battery, I have heard its better but how many more hours with the upgrade of the battery do you think we will get?

And what was roughly the difference from iPhone 3GS and iPhone4 (battery wise)
The difference between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4... my iPhone 4 battery life is great! It's 20x better than the iPhone 3GS's.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
The difference between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4... my iPhone 4 battery life is great! It's 20x better than the iPhone 3GS's.
Nice !
Yeah I have a 3GS and battery is poor, a full charge will give me 9-3 then it's needing charged. I heard if you take it off of charge when it has not fully charged it makes your battery worse ( die faster)

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yes and if you leave wifi on without needing it also. I can get all day with mine but I have to use SB Settings to make sure I'm turning things off as I stop needing them. Multitasking is nice to have but also a pain for the battery.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Yes and if you leave wifi on without needing it also. I can get all day with mine but I have to use SB Settings to make sure I'm turning things off as I stop needing them. Multitasking is nice to have but also a pain for the battery.
Nice I noticed brightness is a real pain ! And 3G connection aswell.