What are people looking forward to the most about the iPhone 5?

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
It's not like the speed increases exponentially. Going from 1 to 2 GHz would be twice as fast, but it would also be unstable, have horrible battery life, and decrease the life of the hardware, so it just isn't logical to me.
Shouldn't you say it isn't logical "for" you?

Less battery life...for some people it's not an issue. They make these magic cords that plug into the wall and even ones that plug into your car, they let you charge your phone.

Decrease the life of the hardware? Most people overclocking and jailbreaking and what not are gizmo getters and get the new phone each year it's launched. So it's out of my hands in a year anyway. Who cares if the life has been reduced from 5 years to 4?

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
Yes and if you leave wifi on without needing it also. I can get all day with mine but I have to use SB Settings to make sure I'm turning things off as I stop needing them. Multitasking is nice to have but also a pain for the battery.
Just strange. I hear a lot of people talk that way.

I don't turn off wi-fi ever, only turn the brightness down when looking at it in the dark, and only kill apps when they are doing things wrong.

I charge my phone once every 2 days....sometimes 3. I don't talk a lot on it but I use apps all the time, send on average about 100-150 texts a day and send about 15 pictures (MMS) a day. Not including facebook pics and photobucket pics. I also use it almost exclusively for my email. iPhone 4 battery life for me has been better than any of my other iP's and better than my other smartphones.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Just strange. I hear a lot of people talk that way.

I don't turn off wi-fi ever, only turn the brightness down when looking at it in the dark, and only kill apps when they are doing things wrong.

I charge my phone once every 2 days....sometimes 3. I don't talk a lot on it but I use apps all the time, send on average about 100-150 texts a day and send about 15 pictures (MMS) a day. Not including facebook pics and photobucket pics. I also use it almost exclusively for my email. iPhone 4 battery life for me has been better than any of my other iP's and better than my other smartphones.
Wish I could do the same lol

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !

Less battery life...for some people it's not an issue. They make these magic cords that plug into the wall and even ones that plug into your car, they let you charge your phone.

Decrease the life of the hardware? Most people overclocking and jailbreaking and what not are gizmo getters and get the new phone each year it's launched. So it's out of my hands in a year anyway. Who cares if the life has been reduced from 5 years to 4?
The syntaxis is correct. Not logical TO her. I think you were thinkng about not PRACTICAL FOR HER to use it that way.

Reactions: Europa

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
For this reason alone, Apple will forever be playing catchup to Android. At least when it comes to hardward. unless they change and go with a removable battery. lets not forget the quads are coming out soon on Android and with that the cell phone will now have dynamic lighting and 1080p HD displays.2560 x 1600 display with 1440p HD
That doesn't have anything to do with my comment. I was talking about overclocking an Android anyway.
The difference between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4... my iPhone 4 battery life is great! It's 20x better than the iPhone 3GS's.
20x! Weird, mine doesn't even last twice as long. ;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I said it's not logical "to" me and that's what I meant. Cell phones weren't made to overclock. It's much different from overclocking a computer because you can't add heat sinks to cool them. Your numbers are arbitrary; you could experience problems much sooner than that. Jailbreaking is not a fair comparison to overclocking; excessive heat and hardware damage aren't associated with jailbreaking.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011

I said it's not logical "to" me and that's what I meant. Cell phones weren't made to overclock. It's much different from overclocking a computer because you can't add heat sinks to cool them. Your numbers are arbitrary; you could experience problems much sooner than that. Jailbreaking is not a fair comparison to overclocking; excessive heat and hardware damage aren't associated with jailbreaking.
This

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
Well nothing was "meant" to overclock. I have yet to see device advertised as being released 50% slower than it could safely go. What a marketing scheme that would be. LOL But there are people that like to tinker with their stuff. It doesn't matter if you are doing a phone, a computer, a game console or a calculator. The manufacturers have to balance performance with longevity and reliability. Someone who is going to tinker with their device is willing to sacrifice somewhere to reach the end result. In overclocking it usually is reduced lifespan. Overclockers are willing to sacrifice that. Just because YOU don't want to doesn't mean the process as a whole should be dismissed.

My point about jailbreaking was not a comparison to overclocking. You need to go back and re-read my comment. Although I would imagine that in order to overclock you would have to first jailbreak. What I was saying is that most people that overclock things are the gizmo people that have to have the next greatest thing so if the life of the device was reduced 50%, it's still not a big deal because the next new thing will be out in a year.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well nothing was "meant" to overclock. I have yet to see device advertised as being released 50% slower than it could safely go. What a marketing scheme that would be. LOL But there are people that like to tinker with their stuff. It doesn't matter if you are doing a phone, a computer, a game console or a calculator. The manufacturers have to balance performance with longevity and reliability. Someone who is going to tinker with their device is willing to sacrifice somewhere to reach the end result. In overclocking it usually is reduced lifespan. Overclockers are willing to sacrifice that. Just because YOU don't want to doesn't mean the process as a whole should be dismissed.
So within the context of iPhone, what would be "the end result" of overclocking?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

My point about jailbreaking was not a comparison to overclocking. You need to go back and re-read my comment. Although I would imagine that in order to overclock you would have to first jailbreak. What I was saying is that most people that overclock things are the gizmo people that have to have the next greatest thing so if the life of the device was reduced 50%, it's still not a big deal because the next new thing will be out in a year.
Well, computers can be safely overclocked and not experience stability problems as a result; that's what I meant by that.

I never said it should be dismissed. I just said it's not the same as overclocking a computer. It's much more problematic.

It's very doubtful that we'll be able to overclock the iPhone anyway, so it's pointless to talk about it. A MBP can't even be overclocked. I wonder why people aren't complaining about how they can't do that.

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
A MBP can't even be overclocked. I wonder why people aren't complaining about how they can't do that.
That's not exactly true. Depending on the build date and the grapics card installed, there are a few overclocking tools available. Mostly for overclocking the video card. The NVIDIA GeForce in particular is very overclockable.

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
And FWIW.....I don't have a desire to overclock my phone....although more speed is always a good thing. I have fake-clock-up installed and it's very nice. Doesn't overclock anything but speeds up the slow and clunky animations so apps load faster.

My comments were just for discussion.