What are the additional costs for MMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giddyup944

Jul 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Over the course of the day I have read through this whole post. Really good info here. I just got a "new" phone with 3.01, and carrier 4.0 on it and am going to resync it with iTunes v9.0 which was synced to my old 3.1 phone. My question for those of you who got MMS and tethering to work without jailbreaking: Are you using iTunes 9.0 and have you actually tested the tethering to see if it works or just seeing the setting for it enabled. Because after my last iPhone was updated to 3.1 i still had the benm hack and it showed tethering under settings but when I touched it, it disappeared. My goal is to have iTunes 9.0 with iPhone 3.01, no jailbreak or unlock, carrier file 5.0 with MMS, tethering and visual voicemail working. Does anyone have this combo going? And again thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It has helped me and I'm sure many others greatly!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
5.0 will enable MMS.

I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS on 3.0.1. Yesterday morning I had the 4.0 carrier and tethering, but no MMS. The Official MMS release in iTunes was not available to me, since I'm on 3.0.1.

Yesterday, I did the steps from the link below to update to 5.0 to enable MMS. It enabled MMS and worked fine, however it broke tethering. The same way 3.1 breaks it (the toggle shows up but disappears as soon as you turn it on). I then redid the steps (benm) to reenable tethering. I verified that tethering works by actually using it. MMS and VVM still works as well.

http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/09/12/how-to-enable-mms-picture-messaging-on-your-iphone/

Here's the tethering directions if you need them.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never heard of anyone getting hit with the bill. Still, I highly recommend keeping your data usage under 5 GB a month if you tether and not downloading large files. Going over 5 GB (it's like a soft cap), or even greatly increasing your data usage, can flag your account. Once flagged, they could investigate and easily tell that you were using a non-mobile browser. At that point, it is possible that they could hit you with a large bill for the non-mobile data usage.

giddyup944

Jul 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Europa, I actually just did the 5.0 carrier update like the website you linked to says and I can now tether. I rebooted my phone and i sent myself a picture message, received it, checked a visual voicemail, and am writing this over a usb tethered connection. I went to benm site and bookmarked it but i never installed it. Weird but all seems well, I have everything I want now, tether, MMS, visual voicemail, all on 3.01 FW.

Thanks again to all the help on this site!

melodix

Sep 26, 2009
I'm new here, but I LOVE MY PHONE so I thought I'd join! I am thrilled with this new update! I must have sent 8+ videos and even more pics today through mms!
:eek:k:eek:k

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm new here, but I LOVE MY PHONE so I thought I'd join! I am thrilled with this new update! I must have sent 8+ videos and even more pics today through mms!
:eek:k:eek:k
Welcome to EIC. The new update for MMS is like Christmas-come-early for most everyone in the iPhone community.

melodix

Sep 26, 2009
same for me! I sent tons of mms vids and pics today.... like a little girl at Christmas! I also downloaded iEmoticons and had some fun w/ that too!;)

melodix

Sep 26, 2009
man... i tried the tethering thing watching the video from europa (thank you for that btw) and everything, but seems there's some personality dysfunction.... didn't show the tethering option for me when i went to settings/gen/network...

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
Napoleon,

i tried this with my phone and i was having same problem hotmomma was having with the red exclamation marks and not sending mms....mine still wont work. i did what your instructions said....any suggestions? thanks
also did you change the network settings to match what was posted in the link? I had to do that to get it to work.

my next question is how would I go back to 3.0? I have a 3G and would love to get tethering working on it :) thanks for your help!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Download the 3.0.1 ipsw from iClarified and shift+restore in iTunes.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
H E L P!

I still cannot save this file to my desktop, the file is in my downloads but when I try to open the file this message comes up (I renamed as #378 suggested)

Windows cannot open this file
ATT_US.icpp

to open this file windows needs to know what program you want to ue to open it

I am using Windows Vista 64 when I try to open in iTunes nothing shows up in my downloads

giddyup944

Jul 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
You don't open the file. Just save it on your hard drive somewhere and then open iTunes, hold the shift while clicking the update button. Move to update carrier file and then find the file you saved to your hard drive, click it and iTunes updates your carrier file on your iPhone.

melodix

Sep 26, 2009
What firmware are you one melodix?
It won't work on 3.1.
i am using my new iPhone 3gs and just updated to the newest version on iTunes and also got the update for mms yesterday.... i am not at home so i don't know for sure and can't check... so i guess i'm not on the right firmware huh? what does that mean?
thanks for your help europa.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Status
Not open for further replies.