what are those dots that turn into stars?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
In the iPod part of the iPhone, what are those dots above the album titles that turn into stars? Believe it or not having the iPhone is also having my first ipod! Thanks!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
From chapter 4 of 'iPhone: the missing manual' by David Pogue.

"And you can rate a song, ranking it from one to five stars, by tapping its name and then tapping one of the five dots at the top of the screen. If you tap dot number 3, for example, then the first three dots all turn into stars. You've just given that song three stars. When you next sync your iPhone with your computer, the ratings you've applied magically show up on the same songs in iTunes."

This is a great book btw, and if you're new to Apple I highly recommend it. I'm not new to Apple products, but I don't have an iPhone yet and am trying to get a jumpstart.

Good luck! =P

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
and what happens after you rate them? Can you look them up by stars?
That, my friend, I do not know.

I know that I can on my 3rd gen. ipod, under playlist, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to on a brand new iPhone! =P

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
and what happens after you rate them? Can you look them up by stars?
i use them to create smart playlists in iTunes. that way i can automatically create playlists of my favorite songs (4 and 5 stars) that exclude everything else (everything with 3 stars or less). the smart playlists can be set to have "live updating" - every time i change the ranking on a song, it's inclusion in a playlist will adjust accordingly automatically.

i can also sort any playlist using the rankings too - favorites at the top (5 stars) to the least-favorite at the bottom, or vice versa.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
From chapter 4 of 'iPhone: the missing manual' by David Pogue.

"And you can rate a song, ranking it from one to five stars, by tapping its name and then tapping one of the five dots at the top of the screen. If you tap dot number 3, for example, then the first three dots all turn into stars. You've just given that song three stars. When you next sync your iPhone with your computer, the ratings you've applied magically show up on the same songs in iTunes."

This is a great book btw, and if you're new to Apple I highly recommend it. I'm not new to Apple products, but I don't have an iPhone yet and am trying to get a jumpstart.

Good luck! =P
From the iPhone User Guide:
"Rate a song:
Drag your thumb across the ratings bar to give the song zero to five stars." :p

Seriously, it might indeed be a great book. But this part is not missing from the official user guide.

--
Mike

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Well there ya go! ^

=P

Obviously, the OP ripped his box, instructions, etc to pieces when trying to get to his iPhone, thereforee he overlooked such details, hehe.

Can't say I blam'em.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well there ya go! ^

=P

Obviously, the OP ripped his box, instructions, etc to pieces when trying to get to his iPhone, thereforee he overlooked such details, hehe.

Can't say I blam'em.
Well in fairness Apple doesn't include it in the box--it has to be downloaded. ;)

--
Mike

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hey for someone without an iPhone (yet) you are holding your own.

--
Mike
Well thankya there pardner.

Of course couldn't keep up without you folks here @ everythingiPhone!

...>wipes brown substance from nose with shirt sleeve<......

Hehe, =D

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
do u guys actually rate it? i always find that to be so useless and took it off the tab
No, not really. I've rated to see if highlighted stars actually got modified. But other than that , no. You never know, one day in the future I might start rating my songs. On Monday one song might get two stars from me when on Friday it would get four, so I'm not sure if it would be very effective for me.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes I'm not sure I see the point for an iPhone. It's not like it has 100 GB of storage: to me the fact that a song gets on my iPhone in the first place means I rate it highly.

Ratings would work well if someone listened to a lot of music in iTunes, rated it, then chose to sync the My Top Rated playlist to the iPhone.

--
Mike