What are your favorite Apple TV apps?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by acosmichippo, Oct 31, 2015.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Unfortunately it's pretty difficult to browse apps on the TV App Store. The only category they have is "featured" apps which is dominated by obvious apps which were mostly on the last Apple TV anyway. Apps from smaller devs like Air Video and Simplex are impossible to find unless you search specifically for them.

So... what are some good ones you've found?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My Apple TV 4 should be here in a few days. I'll post after I get it and check out the new apps. I didn't know there was going to be an Air Video Apple TV app. That's awesome! I was considering switching from it to Plex (with Simplex) since it would be simpler than using my phone and AirPlay with Air Video, but since there is now an Air Video app for the ATV4, I'll probably just stick with it as long as it works well.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Apparently the official Plex app is pending Apple approval. Might want to wait for that before buying Simplex.

The Air Video app is great, but it sure isn't as pretty and polished as Plex will be.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The Plex App is Approved. About to go home and check it out.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Used the official Plex app last night. It's very nice. It's a nice break from the Plex look that is across all platforms. My Plex setup has been a bit wonky over the past few weeks. Hoping the changes I made, coupled with this new app will settle things down.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I like the game Cueist. It is a beautiful Pool game graphically (you can even see some chalk when you strike the ball), and you can play against other players (in the next update). You can also play against the computer. Right now it is priced at $1.99 (half off for new Apple TV promo). It does take me awhile to get the hang of it with the remote. I still need some practice with it. One of the frustrating things is how difficult it is to hold it steady and line up your shot with the remote. That needs to be improved.

CORRECTION: I was doing it wrong. I needed to hold down the pad before shooting. That puts it in slow motion and allowed me to line things up. It is pretty awesome on the big screen.

#6 JWiPhone, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015