What are your favorite iOS 8 features?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Europa, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm a little late to the party and our WWDC thread is already locked. So what are your favorite iOS 8 features and what was missing that you were you hoping for?

Quick Reply was probably the biggest one for me. We've had this on jailbroken iPhones for more than five years, and it will be nice to finally have it as a stock feature. I'm also looking forward to Swype, photo editing enhancements, Notification Center enhancements, quicker access to favorites, Shazam integration and the ability to leave a group messaging conversation.

I didn't see anything about disabling animations altogether, and that's my biggest disappointment. I'm not sure why Apple insists on forcing intentional lag.
    I don't need full themes, but some basic customization such as app icon scaling, dock replacements/dock invisibility and icon layout would have been nice.

#1 Europa, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

One cool feature that wasn't mentioned in the Keynote but is listed is battery usage by app.

image.jpg

image.jpg

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I wonder how the Braille keyboard works?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I liked the new iMessage features. But WhatsApp founder wasn't pleased.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1401751402.322686.jpg

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I agree that Quick Reply will be awesome. They need to include several things that Jailbroken iPhones can do but stock iPhones should have already been able to do!

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He's trying to take credit for something that isn't his original idea. WhatsApp wasn't the first to utilize any of these messaging features. The early jailbreak developers were the ones who initially launched them back in 2008 - before the first Android smartphone and before WhatsApp were even available. Since then there have been countless variations of the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

The predictive txt and smart reply suggestions looks to be usefull. Hopefully will be less annoying than autocorrect...:D

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I don't see how that will work on a touch screen. Pun intended. :)

10. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Yay... Stevie Wonder can get a iPhone.. That opened up a whole new Market for Apple.

11. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

TIME LAPSE BUILT INTO THE CAMERA!

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I didn't hear much about DuckDuckGo, the search engine that will be added to Safari. It doesn't track it's users for advertising purposes.

13. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

after a bit more use I'm loving all of the upgrades to the Messaging app... Especially the improved "Details" view and the new quick scroll when you hit the little camera icon IMG_1178.png

14. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I keep hearing people talk about location based Icons popping up on their iOS 8 lockscreen. That sounds pretty kewl.

15. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I liked the Light and Color Meters used for photos. That looked really impressive.

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, I don't want to use a third party texting app, unless it could literally print money or something. the dev is just seizing an opportunity to promote his app.

17. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

The new iMeassage feature is cool, and 'hey Siri' works great. The voice message in iMessage is cool, and in a text message, tap Details at the top right and you'll see all kinds of info on that contact, including location and all shared photos. Plus, you can set Do Not Disturb up individually, per person, in that same Details window.

18. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I really like the quick reply in messages. I grabbed the below screenshot from another site. If you set your messages notifications to alerts it resembles chompSMS from Android (which is made by the chaps that make BiteSMS)...

[​IMG]

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it also looks like the BiteSMS jailbreak app for iOS, which came out before ChompSMS.

20. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I love being able to adjust exposure in realtime now in the camera app. No need for separate exposure and focus reticles on 3rd party camera apps. Just touch to focus and slide up/down or left/right depending on the orientation. Timer and time lapse is also a welcome addition

[​IMG]