What are your favorite iOS 8 features?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm a little late to the party and our WWDC thread is already locked. So what are your favorite iOS 8 features and what was missing that you were you hoping for?

Quick Reply was probably the biggest one for me. We've had this on jailbroken iPhones for more than five years, and it will be nice to finally have it as a stock feature. I'm also looking forward to Swype, photo editing enhancements, Notification Center enhancements, quicker access to favorites, Shazam integration and the ability to leave a group messaging conversation.

I didn't see anything about disabling animations altogether, and that's my biggest disappointment. I'm not sure why Apple insists on forcing intentional lag.
Apple seems to be opening up iOS just a little. Perhaps one day we'll see themes. :)
I don't need full themes, but some basic customization such as app icon scaling, dock replacements/dock invisibility and icon layout would have been nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I agree that Quick Reply will be awesome. They need to include several things that Jailbroken iPhones can do but stock iPhones should have already been able to do!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I liked the new iMessage features. But WhatsApp founder wasn't pleased.
View attachment 36903
He's trying to take credit for something that isn't his original idea. WhatsApp wasn't the first to utilize any of these messaging features. The early jailbreak developers were the ones who initially launched them back in 2008 - before the first Android smartphone and before WhatsApp were even available. Since then there have been countless variations of the same thing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
He's trying to take credit for something that isn't his original idea. WhatsApp wasn't the first to utilize any of these messaging features. The early jailbreak developers were the ones who initially launched them back in 2008 - before the first Android smartphone and before WhatsApp were even available. Since then there have been countless variations of the same thing.
yeah, I don't want to use a third party texting app, unless it could literally print money or something. the dev is just seizing an opportunity to promote his app.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The new iMeassage feature is cool, and 'hey Siri' works great. The voice message in iMessage is cool, and in a text message, tap Details at the top right and you'll see all kinds of info on that contact, including location and all shared photos. Plus, you can set Do Not Disturb up individually, per person, in that same Details window.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
I really like the quick reply in messages. I grabbed the below screenshot from another site. If you set your messages notifications to alerts it resembles chompSMS from Android (which is made by the chaps that make BiteSMS)...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I really like the quick reply in messages. I grabbed the below screenshot from another site. If you set your messages notifications to alerts it resembles chompSMS from Android (which is made by the chaps that make BiteSMS)...

Yeah, it also looks like the BiteSMS jailbreak app for iOS, which came out before ChompSMS.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I love being able to adjust exposure in realtime now in the camera app. No need for separate exposure and focus reticles on 3rd party camera apps. Just touch to focus and slide up/down or left/right depending on the orientation. Timer and time lapse is also a welcome addition