What are your final thoughts on the iPhone?

May 6, 2007
United States
Hey guys, it's me! Probably only the most senior members here will remember me, I am from way back :)

I am just starting this thread to reflect on the last 7 or 8 months since the iPhone was released. I can still remember waiting on the night of the 28th excitedly to go get my iPhone. Anyways, I was just wondering how everyone likes their iPhone, whether you got it on June 29th or just yesterday.

What are your final thoughts? Have you had any problems with the device? Did it live up to the hype?

I love mine personally, and I will start off by saying that I am so happy to have spent the $600 and I have no buyer's regrets. I love the iPhone and have had no problems. Apple did a great job making it, marketing it, allowing it to live up to the hype, and making enough for the initial hurdle into the market. I applaud all of Apple's engineers and mainly Steve Jobs.

So, any thoughts, as we pull in the end of February and the new year of 2008?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I do remember seeing you mentioned a few times back when I joined, but I didn't see any posts from you.

I have absolutely no problems with the iPhone. Sure, I'd like to see Video Recording, Flash, the whole shebang, but for a cellphone, the iPhone is the best there is in my eyes.

- John

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
I can simply but happily say that this phone is the love of my life LOL ;) I just love this phone. It came without a few features but everyhing is not perfect but I think this phone is pretty close to perfect though. So much fun to have on the go and is simply the best phone on the market right now at a reasonable price.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Mine is the best phone I've ever owned, period. When the SDK is released one of these days, it will be by far the best phone I've ever owned. :)

No problems with my 1st gen device, it's running like a top even after being carried in my front pocket for the last 7 months and being dropped a few times.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
i've only had this phone since mid jan 08, but over all super awesome to say the least. however, i would like to see 3g, flash, copy/paste, and video in the future...yada yada. great phone, good job Apple!

ps. i think i should get a commission from Apple. just in the past couple of weeks, people have asked me about the iPhone and i give them a quick tutorial. i'm probably responsible for the sale of three phones already...

May 6, 2007
United States
I do remember seeing you mentioned a few times back when I joined, but I didn't see any posts from you.

I have absolutely no problems with the iPhone. Sure, I'd like to see Video Recording, Flash, the whole shebang, but for a cellphone, the iPhone is the best there is in my eyes.

- John
This makes sense, I took somewhat of a sabbatical from posting for a little while. I will now keep posting every so often when I get a chance.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming! I know the iPhone experience isn't nearly over yet, but I am just asking for your opinions on the last 7-8 months of iphone-ness :).

Thanks again guys!

May 6, 2007
United States
Apple, once again, completely revolutionized the market they went after.
I completely agree. We are the first buyers in the next revolution of technology. Congratulations, people! :laugh2:

All of the technology incorporated in the iPhone will be bettered and in the future, we will look back finding that much of the technology in our daily life was in some form or shape incorporated in the iPhone.

That's my rambling, what do you guys think?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Has its minor flaws which are in the process of getting fixed im sure. To me, the iPhone is the best phone on the market and is the new benchmark for all phones. I doubt any will come near it though, except maybe the garmin. But i like Apple. Problem is, i can never have anything less than an iPhone. oh well.

May 6, 2007
United States
I can't imagine life before my iPhone.

It's my soul-mate. The phone of my dreams. The phone of my life...
:rolleyes:
This is pretty funny. Although I don't care about my iPhone that much (gasp!), I really like it and it makes all of the technological activities that I must conduct, so much easier. I love having one device that does everything, and Apple, once again, did a great job. To all of the whiners and haters, go buy a Nokia or something.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Cantwait

I LOVE your avatar.
If you had a t-shirt I would buy it.

The iPhone is the greatest device I have had the pleasure to purchase.
I CANNOT IMAGINE life without it.

And I am NOT a 'gadget' kind of person.

Dana

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
i've only had this phone since mid jan 08, but over all super awesome to say the least. however, i would like to see 3g, flash, copy/paste, and video in the future...yada yada. great phone, good job Apple!

ps. i think i should get a commission from Apple. just in the past couple of weeks, people have asked me about the iPhone and i give them a quick tutorial. i'm probably responsible for the sale of three phones already...
We do have the AT&T referral program I agree though I have sold 1 iPhone and 1 touch... to others...

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
I actually think of the iPhone as a jack of some trades, master of none. I love my iPhone, but it's not everything that I want to be by any means. It is, however, the closest I can get with today's options and with my list of priorities. My number 1 priority is not to carry more than one device. That being said, here are the things that I've given up in order to have just one device. (Most of this functionality is what I love about my Sony Clié.)
  1. 16GB of storage is not enough, although I understand the technical limitations that exist in a reasonable price range. (This one isn't a complaint about the iPhone, it's a symptom of reality that I accept.)
  2. No voice recorder
  3. No video recorder
  4. No basic PDA apps, such as a task list.
  5. No copy and paste? WTF?
  6. I would like to see the iPhone show up as a removable drive in Windows Explorer. Since it doesn't, I cannot easily use the 16GB of space as a jump drive.
  7. Its called an iPhone, yet actually dialing a phone number can often take many steps to perform. The home button should have a double-click option of "Turn on, unlock, and take me to the phone app with the keypad."
  8. This is a bit of a stretch, but I wish it had an I/R port. I love that my Clié can be a remote control for TVs I come across in bars or restaurants. Also, beaming to a printer is nice.
  9. No access to the file system. It'd be nice if I could at least access images so that I could upload a custom avatar here via the iPhone. :)
  10. Sound customizations are too limited. I need to be able to have the phone tell me that I received a text message, and if I don't acknowledge it, keep reminding me every 5 minutes or something.
Now, having said those things, I do still indeed love my iPhone. It gives me what I've wanted more than the other features, and that is the Internet wherever I go. I choose the Internet over all of the things that this device is lacking, and that is why I have an iPhone. The Internet is the highest on my priority list after carrying only one device.

But the device does seem to have a bit of an identity crisis. It doesn't serve primarily as a phone. It's certainly not a PDA. I can't call it a computer with no file management. It's just a neat device that gives the Internet, which again, was what I wanted the most. :)

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Good post, Overscore. I agree. I like my iPhone. Haven't had an Apple product since my parents bought me an Apple II+, back in the xmas of '82. (showing my age)!I wish it did the same things that others here have mentioned, that it doesn't do, and these are things that just about every cell phone does. Some of the omissions from Apple are complete head scratchers, and I never hear any logical explanations to why certain things were left out.As mention, why is there no cut/paste? Why is the camera so under supported? MMS, video, pics in text, ability to save items from the net?I just don't understand the omissions of this simple stuff.