what AT&T/Apple shoulve done

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i just realized that its a complete load of crap since you bought the iPhone for $600 and you can only use your iPhone music player, and other functions as long as YOU still under contract of Att..
i mean. imagine you have this iPhone for years, and years from now how some you got sick of all the expenses and Att, and you decided to switch back to whatever your old provider was. But then you CANT use your iPhone as a music player, you cant use the calculator, photo, camera, calendar, or anything that does not have anything to do with the service of att

thats crap man,don't get me wrong, i love the iPhone more than anything else i own. but that isn't fair for us iPhone users years from now. wouldn't you think so?

i think somehow they need to make an update, so that even though you are no longer with att 2 years from now, you can still use your iPhone for your own entertainment.

damn it im pissed

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i just realized that its a complete load of crap since you bought the iPhone for $600 and you can only use your iPhone music player, and other functions as long as YOU still under contract of Att..
i mean. imagine you have this iPhone for years, and years from now how some you got sick of all the expenses and Att, and you decided to switch back to whatever your old provider was. But then you CANT use your iPhone as a music player, you cant use the calculator, photo, camera, calendar, or anything that does not have anything to do with the service of att

thats crap man,don't get me wrong, i love the iPhone more than anything else i own. but that isn't fair for us iPhone users years from now. wouldn't you think so?

i think somehow they need to make an update, so that even though you are no longer with att 2 years from now, you can still use your iPhone for your own entertainment.

damn it im pissed
Most of these features are pretty standard to most cell phones these days, in one form or another (mostly lacking compared to iPhone).
Meaning, that if you're still using a cell phone at that point (and I know you will be) then you'll already have something in your pocket that does all the same stuff, and you won't need the iPhone.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
yes, i know what you mean, but what if the next phone is somewhat better than this iPhone( im just saying ) but it doesn't have th ipod support widescreen like this, then wouldn't it just be cool to have the new phone.. AND an iPhone since it can play music( i love ipod and no other mp3)
i mean, i don't have an ipod video, i had a nano which broke months before the iPhone came out...

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
If you leave AT&T I'm not sure that it can't do what you want. After it's been activated, I don't think think having an invalid sim causes the iPhone to stop working. It doesn't stop working in airplane mode or when out of service range. You can just can't use it as phone with another carrier.

damn it im pissed

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
If you leave AT&T I'm not sure that it can't do what you want. After it's been activated, I don't think think having an invalid sim causes the iPhone to stop working. It doesn't stop working in airplane mode or when out of service range. You can just can't use it as phone with another carrier.
Try removing your SIM card and see what happens. :)
lol

If you want everything in 1 device, and you need an iPod, then your next phone should probably be the next Apple iPhone.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
yes, but if you are not longer with att, the only thing you can do with the phone is call emergency. and you cant even get to the menu like the first time you got the iPhone and before activation

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
nah, i glad i got the iPhone, its the best of the best. but all im saying is it wouldve been a lot better if the owner have complete control of the phone even he/she leaves the att provider.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
nah, i glad i got the iPhone, its the best of the best. but all im saying is it wouldve been a lot better if the owner have complete control of the phone even he/she leaves the att provider.
That's not really an iPhone issue though. It's a USA cellular carrier market issue.

All the phones I have ever owned have been subsidy locked... I just never cared because I never needed to switch carriers until I switched for the iPhone.

There are always good phones only available on someone elses network. Being ex-Verizon, I know how many times I wished they'd carry a decent phone everyone else had.

That's just how the market is... if you don't like it, write your congressmen who sells them the public airwaves. It isn't the iPhone's or Apple's fault.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Try removing your SIM card and see what happens. :)
lol

If you want everything in 1 device, and you need an iPod, then your next phone should probably be the next Apple iPhone.
After a phone has been activated-and then deactivated, as long as it has the SIM in it that it was using I believe the ipod function works. When I bought an 8GB and activated it through iTunes, my 4GB that i took back the following day worked still (as an iPod only). Also somewhere on CNET.com i saw a video of how to use the phone as an iPod only.

I agree with the OP that it is a load of crap that we are stuck on a 2 year contract, but we knew that when we bought the phone and accepted those terms and are legally binded whether we like it or not. It is what it is and there is nothing we are able to do about it.