What case is best for my situation?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by bams50, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Just got a 4s. It's my only phone. I restore classic cars and am looking for the best protection I can find for use in the shop: dusty. sometimes cold/damp, paint fumes. Also answer calls, text, and navigate the 'net with dirty hands. Also, I intend to put it on and take it off frequently.

What do you all recommend? I'm thinking Lifrproof of course, but what else could fit the bill and maybe not cost as much? Rather not beat an $80 case to premature death;) But I'd rather ruin cases than the phone.

Recommendations?

2. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Otter box defender case. There are lots of threads with really good info on this subject. I use the otter box. I am a firefighter and an AC repair man. Put the phone through hell and even after I had the 3GS for two years I took it out and it looked like I just took it out of the box. Not a blemish on it.

3. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I would go with the otter box.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

4. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Otterbox Defender

5. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks. I just went to order one and looked at a review that said:

All the ports are properly lined up except for the earphone jack. It is off...way off.

So now I'm confused. Is this true? I want to be able to use earphones with the case on!

6. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

it said that for the otter box case? If so I have one and know of a lot of people that do and haw never heard of any ports not being lined up. The otter box has always been fairly expensive but has always been worth it because of superior quality. I don't think you will see any problems. And if for some reason you do it has a really good warranty behind it.

7. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

The hole in the plug for the earphone jack is perfectly lined up for its ACTUAL purpose; to allow the noise cancellation mic to work. (You'll see the small pinhole next to the jack). The headphone jack is supposed to be covered and accessed only by opening the plug.

8. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

OK, thanks. I just blew off the quote I posted above and ordered one. Thanks all!

9. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I can't believe someone gave it a bad review because of that. Lol. I get what they are saying but its for the mike not the headphone jack. Lol.

10. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

sweet. Let us know when you get it. You won't be disappointed.

11. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Erm? Lifeproof?

12. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Lifeproof is watertight. It would be good for keeping dust out. And you can rinse it off when it gets greasy.

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

13. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

For keeping dust out? Lifeproof. No question. Otterbox sucks at keeping dust out

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

He has already ordered a case.

15. RedWritingHood

Bronze

Well, He said he wants to remove the case frequently, and one of the reviews I read mentioned that as per the company (LifeProof), the case shouldn't be taken apart and put back together more than ~50 times.

I will look for and add the link to the article when I'm back at my computer.

I had the Lifeproof case initially but have switched to an Otterbox Defender and am much happier with it, personally.

16. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

LifeProof FTW!

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

18. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I did think a lot about Lifeproof. But with the problems reported in the long thread here I was hesitant to pay $80 for it until more positive reviews come in. Here's what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280775926910

I won't rule out another case in the future. I can of course be careful with it, so I'll be careful to recognize the case's limitations. Thanks for the help; I'll use this one and keep looking at your suggestions!

19. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Otterbox arrived today. My first impressions:

Overall, looks like it will be good for what I mostly needed, which is mostly shock/dirty hands protection. Belt clip seems sturdy.

Downside, it totally negates the nice-looking design of the 4s; plus, there's little protection against dust, and next to no protection against liquid.

I think it will turn out to be worth the price. I will continue to look at other cases for other situations. Thanks again for the input!

20. deepakgandhi

deepakgandhi New Member

I have tried some cases in the market. I had negative results when I was raking pictures with the flash "on". I was having feedback. As soon as I take the case of, pictures turn out to be good. Any suggestion which case to get?