What charges are associated with purchasing an iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 17, 2007
Hey guys im new to the site and I have a few questions for people that have AT&T. It's time for me to upgrade and I am thinking about purchasing an iPhone but im not 100% sure about the charges that you have to pay for that comes with the phone. I have unlimited text messaging but isn't there a data plan that I have to purchase? Someone told me that it was 20 bucks per month and after 2 months I don't have to keep paying for it if I don't want to. Any other charges that they make you pay for, I would appreciate it if you could let me know what they are and how much they will cost. Thanks.

Blue

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
The iPhone has its very own plan. Though you have unlimited texting NOW, it doesn't matter when you get the iPhone. The $20 per month data plan gets you 200 texts and unlimited data and visual voicemail. Then there's a $30 plan, and $40 plan, with the only change is the amount of texts. The $30 plan gets you 1500, the $40 gets you unlimited. I'm pretty sure that's the only difference in the data plans for the iPhone.

If you're on a family plan (I am) you can get unlimited texting for your other phone, much cheaper...

Dec 17, 2007
The iPhone has its very own plan. Though you have unlimited texting NOW, it doesn't matter when you get the iPhone. The $20 per month data plan gets you 200 texts and unlimited data and visual voicemail. Then there's a $30 plan, and $40 plan, with the only change is the amount of texts. The $30 plan gets you 1500, the $40 gets you unlimited. I'm pretty sure that's the only difference in the data plans for the iPhone.

If you're on a family plan (I am) you can get unlimited texting for your other phone, much cheaper...
So the text messaging plan will not go over to the iPhone? You need to purchase a different plan correct?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
As far as what the ATT people told me, yes you are correct. You can have it on a family plan (minute wise) but for texts and data - that goes to the 20/30/40 plan. Also, if you do search for unlimited texts or texting, you'll see a handful of threads pop up. Read through those, and you'll get more confirmation and information.

Good luck.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Im on a family plan with my wife and son so im just trying to get an idea how much it will go up if I pick up the iPhone.
I was an AT&T (Cingular) customer before I got the iPhone. If you were an exisiting AT&T customer, you can keep your current phone plan and just add the iPhone data to it.

I have an old plan that shares 450 minutes on a family plan. With my husband's Sync and my iPhone, our bill is about $110. I have the 2ndary line that is $14.99 or somthing and my iPhone data plan is $20. He has the main line and his data plan is $19.95. I think his plan includes 200 texts, like the $20 iPhone data plan. My bill is cheaper now than when I had a BB pearl!

Your phone bill may not change that much at all. If you have a data plan now, you just replace that with the iPhone data plan. Are you a current AT&T customer?

Dec 17, 2007
I was an AT&T (Cingular) customer before I got the iPhone. If you were an exisiting AT&T customer, you can keep your current phone plan and just add the iPhone data to it.

I have an old plan that shares 450 minutes on a family plan. With my husband's Sync and my iPhone, our bill is about $110. I have the 2ndary line that is $14.99 or somthing and my iPhone data plan is $20. He has the main line and his data plan is $19.95. I think his plan includes 200 texts, like the $20 iPhone data plan. My bill is cheaper now than when I had a BB pearl!

Your phone bill may not change that much at all. If you have a data plan now, you just replace that with the iPhone data plan. Are you a current AT&T customer?
Yes right now im an AT&T customer. I have a family plan and I have the unlimited text messaging for 30 bucks a month as well. Now my unlimted text doesn't apply for the iPhone? I know I would still need to buy a data plan for $20 to get the internet and all that but I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop more for unlimited text.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Yes right now im an AT&T customer. I have a family plan and I have the unlimited text messaging for 30 bucks a month as well. Now my unlimted text doesn't apply for the iPhone? I know I would still need to buy a data plan for $20 to get the internet and all that but I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop more for unlimited text.
You can keep what you have. Just add $20.00 a month for the iPhone data. The $20.00 also comes with 200 text messages a month, but since your current plan has unlimited texting, you're well covered.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
You can keep what you have. Just add $20.00 a month for the iPhone data. The $20.00 also comes with 200 text messages a month, but since your current plan has unlimited texting, you're well covered.
Hmmm... I was told that this wasn't true. That's the whole reason I had to pay my $40. I called the ATT store and they told me this, and I didn't believe them. So I called ATT directly (3 times) and the result was the same.

What I was trying to get was unlimited texting for the family plan. Since I couldn't, I had to get ulimited texting by phone, not by plan (since I had the iPhone, and my wife has a "regular" phone).