What computer besides a Mac is good?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
My mom said I need a new computer and said she will probably get me a laptop for Christmas. $1,000 is not an option for a Macintosh! So, I need a PC.....UGH! But hey, it's a new computer. So, which brand is good? What about a specific computer? Under $300 please! Just something more then a 2 GHz processor and 0.99GB of RAM! Thanks!

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
A Dell seems about right. HP is in the same range but I have had horrible experience with HP laptops in the past, especially the Pavilion ones. Also take a look at Fujitsu-Siemens. They're not a very famous company, but they actually make very decent laptops for the price.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Dell here my old laptop running XP is the best I ever had
son has Alienware
I have Sony now and am soso on it.
Also I bought that Dell way back on e-bay and got such a steal it was brand new (not refurb)

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Since you will be getting this for Christmas, the new Windows 8 PCs, laptops, and <ahem...> tablets will be out. Actually, Windows 8 has been getting good reviews, including the tablet version.

Sent from my iPad 3 (64GB)

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Since you will be getting this for Christmas, the new Windows 8 PCs, laptops, and <ahem...> tablets will be out. Actually, Windows 8 has been getting good reviews, including the tablet version.

A windows tablet? Eew....

But I am looking forward to windows 8!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
A windows tablet? Eew....

But I am looking forward to windows 8!
Don't knock it until you've tried it. ;-)

When Microsoft came out with the Tablet PC in the mid 2000s (about seven years ago), they were pretty cool. I had one (still have it in a box somewhere). The bad things about it that I didn't link was that it required a stylus–you couldn't use your finger, and it was heavy to carry around in your hand all day. Doctors didn't like to hold them for long while making their rounds.

I think Microsoft's "round two" with tablets will be very interesting.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Don't knock it until you've tried it. ;-)

When Microsoft came out with the Tablet PC in the mid 2000s (about seven years ago), they were pretty cool. I had one (still have it in a box somewhere). The bad things about it that I didn't link was that it required a stylus–you couldn't use your finger, and it was heavy to carry around in your hand all day. Doctors didn't like to hold them for long while making their rounds.

I think Microsoft's "round two" with tablets will be very interesting.

My iPad could do much more then the Windows Tablet, I'm sure. :) It's against my code to buy a tablet or phone that's not Apple.