What could be causing battery drainage on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by nan, Apr 17, 2014.

1. nan

nan New Member

My iPhone 4 is draining in 4 hours. Just started after updating new software. Don't know if it's a bad app or the software. Any ideas?

Sent using iCafe app

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

How old is the phone? If it's a 4, it's probably got a few years on it. Could be normal wear and tear.

3. nan

nan New Member

It was fine till a couple of days ago. Did the update and updated a few apps and know I get less than 4 hours on a charge.

Sent using iCafe app

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You mentioned after updating new software. What did you update to / from?

5. nan

nan New Member

Life 360. A note. Updated.

Sent using iCafe app

6. nan

nan New Member

And ISO 7.1

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You didn't describe your type of usage or mention how long it lasted before the update. That would be helpful.

I get close to six hours of internet usage. It's longer if it's just music or something less battery-intensive. However, that's a 5s with a battery that's only six months old. Your 4 might have an old battery that doesn't hold its charge as long anymore.

8. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

My iPhone 4 on 7.1 & JB has the same good battery life as ever. Updating did reset some settings so I guess you've done all the usual stuff like check screen brightness (which is the biggest drain-even a small change makes a difference to drainage), turn off wifi/bluetooth/push notification and reboot occasionally.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What? Might as well turn off the phone and not use it if you're going to do that.

10. nan

nan New Member

Going to purchase a new battery and see what happens. I turned everything off and left my phone for a couple of hours and my battery did a huge drain.

Sent using iCafe app

11. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

Before doing so, disable background app refresh. That is a known batterykiller

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do a restore to factory settings first. Your battery was fine before the update so it's probably software-related.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Here's a battery drain test offered in a blog by former Genius Bar worker Scotty Lovelace.

Your Usage time should be accurate to how much you've used it since you took it off the charger.
    So here's the test: write down your Usage and Standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

14. nan

nan New Member

Thanks for the info. I went to Apple. They tested my battery and said it was fine. We reset phone to original and then I reloaded the phone. It still is draining. If I go out for three hours with it in sleep it's dead?. I'm thinking to replace the battery and see what happens.

Sent using iCafe app

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If Apple tested the battery and said it was fine, it must be an app or something else causing the drain.

#15 RoofMonkey, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014