What did Steve mean...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mar 10, 2007
What did Steve Jobs mean by "Killer App"? During his keynote, he said that the Killer App is making calls. Can someone tell me what that means?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What did Steve Jobs mean by "Killer App"? During his keynote, he said that the Killer App is making calls. Can someone tell me what that means?
I'm guessing he meant the "Phone" app and it was his way of saying, "The phone is a killer app versus email, web or smartphone features."

I might be wrong and welcome opinions.

Mar 10, 2007
I'm guessing he meant the "Phone" app and it was his way of saying, "The phone is a killer app versus email, web or smartphone features."

I might be wrong and welcome opinions.
But by "killer," does he mean "really cool," or "industry-changing," or maybe just that he thinks it's the best feature of the iPhone? It's probably a stupid question, I just don't know what he means by "killer" - but i've read around a little and i've seen that term used in describing other devices and their features so i thought maybe it has some meaning in the electronics world that i didn't know about.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Wikipedia:
A killer application (commonly shortened to killer app) is a computer program that is so useful or desirable that it proves the value of some underlying technology, such as a gaming console, operating system, or piece of computer hardware.

In other words, the phone part is the real reason to buy the phone.
Certain games for certain gaming systems are referred to as "killer apps".

Xbox = Halo
PC = World of Warcraft

Stuff like that. Like, a REAL REASON to buy the thing.