What did you think if the Mac mini?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What do you think of the Mac mini?

Well now that I have a job I can dream of things that actually have a chance of happening in the near future instead of having to wait until a birthday or a Christmas:)

My plan is to ofcourse buy the iPhone first- and take care of the bill every month-, and then to save for AWHILE to ultimately buy a MacBook Pro:laugh2:
-Well when I was on the Apple website I noticed that the Mac mini is still there. . .and after looking at it and the info Apple gives I became interested. I like the idea of a small compact computer that is as portable as Laptop. . .now I know that ofcourse with its size and everything its gonna be alittle weak performance wise-but I'd have the MBP to rely on for that-, and that it doesn't come with a monitor/LCD panel, or anything but what do you think of it?
-Anything I should know about that might pursuade me otherwise?

If you don't remember what the Mac mini is/was here is the little beauty

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have a friend that is currently editing the audio for my wife's movie on his Mac Mini. the only real addition he has made is more memory and a secondary 750MB drive. Other than that, he says it's rock solid.
In case you need some perspective, the movie is a FULL 2 Hours. He is adding in all the audio. The voices ( we all had to do voice-overs due to external noise was too much when filming.), sound effects, the score, and the sound track.

I am looking at getting a very pimped Mac Mini and a Wacom Cintiq 21" tablet. besides the keyboard and mouse, that's all I will need.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
my dad has a pc and I'm getting tired of fixing that shi- everytime I go visit.. I just wanna visit not be computer tech.. I told him to save the trouble and get himself a mac mini... Were on craigslist looking for one of the macmini, the power pc chip (the only one) for his light surfing and very light ms word usage, its perfect for him.. Now to find one....

Jun 22, 2008
I had a Power PC Mac Mini originally running Panther, then later updated it to Tiger, never had a problem with it, very solid machine. Great desktop computer for someone who doesn't need a more powerful iMac or Mac Pro. I eventually upgraded to Mac Pro and gave the Mini to a friend, and he has been using it ever since and still to this day has never had a issue with it.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I also used to have a Mini (the original Power PC version) and had 0 problems, it was great. I did upgrade the memory to 1Gig but it was the first Mac I got when I decided to abandon Windows at home. As others have said, it's not the most powerful machine, but I ran Photoshop on it and did lots of digital image editing with a Wacom tablet. It was a little slower than other systems, but it did what I needed it to do. I even know someone running a forum on one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If I were you, I would go with the MacBook. I've been using the Mini for a little over a year, and after getting my MacBook, I find myself incapable to use that machine. There just isn't enough power there for me; however, if you don't need large amounts of power and speed, then yeah, it's great little thing.

- John

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I agree with John. I'd actually go iMac instead of MacBook, since you already plan on going pro. I almost got a mini, but very glad went with my iMac.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yep. a mac mini is a product i might recommend for my Mom... but for me? no thanks.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I saw one and it looks so fragile, I'm afraid I would break it.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think Im gonna listen to you guys advice and go for the iMac ;)
-What really attracted me to the Mac mini was the base $600 dollar pricetag, cause after I buy the iPhone+bill, Im gonna have to save and save for a very long while for a MacBook Pro cause of minimum wage haha! :(
-And I would also like to have a computer(desktop) for just general use IN MY ROOM-No family computer lol!

The main reason I want these computers is I guess part of myself wanting to prepare for college and to make sure I have the best of the best to succeed, but also take some load off of my parents cause theirs no way I can pay for college myself scholarship or not :(
+Id rather save for a computer than acting like my stupid friends and blowing the parcheck on stupid games for xbox 360 or PS3- I love games and the consoles but it is stupid when your a senior-My friends, I'm a Junior- spending their whole paycheck for that month on the newest video games and accessories :mad:

Well thanks again :laugh2: