What directory are mail/text sounds in and can you change them?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

merlconn13

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
i know how to add ringtones and icons and all that i just want to know what dir should i look into for the sounds of e-mail, text, locking phone. things like that. thanks

EDIT: i saw that someone said u cannot do the text alert, but last week i seen someone saying they had the super mario "bye bye" when they locked the phone. thanks again

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
The file location is /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/..type
"ls /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/" without the quotes to see all the sound names in there (they are pretty simple for you understand what is what).

However, the files are of type .caf. You will need to download the free program called Switch. Convert your audio file to type .aiff and then rename the file to songName.caf. Then you can putfile it into the above directory. Hope this helps!

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
"ls /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/" without the quotes to see all the sound names in there (they are pretty simple for you understand what is what).

However, the files are of type .caf. You will need to download the free program called Switch. Convert your audio file to type .aiff and then rename the file to songName.caf. Then you can putfile it into the above directory. Hope this helps!
You can also convert sounds to .aiff in iTunes.
Go into preferences and make sure the aiff encoder is enabled.
Preferences > advanced > importing > import using: aiff encoder > ok.
Then right click or ctrl click on the sound file and convert to aiff.
After that follow the above instructions. :)

Bing bam boom.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Have you been able to change the text message ringtone by doing this? What is it labeled as? Textmessage.caf or something?

chugchugs

Oct 16, 2007
Tones for Text

How do I get to this location? Please help I miss my ringtones for text messages...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You need to have SSH installed on the iPhone. You can use independance or Installer.app once you have Jailbroken the phone to do this. Once you have SSH, you can use an SFTP or SCP program such as CyberDuck or Fugu to copy files over to that location.

On a side note, caf files are really just wav files. If you take a wav file and just rename it to .caf it should work just fine. I did it quite a bit on the 1.0.2 firmware and it worked great.

Customize also now has the ability to do custom sounds for the various system event. Then also have sound packs you can download and install if you don't want to go through the manual process of installing the sounds.

chugchugs

Oct 16, 2007
You need to have SSH installed on the iPhone. You can use independance or Installer.app once you have Jailbroken the phone to do this. Once you have SSH, you can use an SFTP or SCP program such as CyberDuck or Fugu to copy files over to that location.

On a side note, caf files are really just wav files. If you take a wav file and just rename it to .caf it should work just fine. I did it quite a bit on the 1.0.2 firmware and it worked great.

Customize also now has the ability to do custom sounds for the various system event. Then also have sound packs you can download and install if you don't want to go through the manual process of installing the sounds.

Sorry very blonde can you tell me how to get this onto my iPhone... Do I need to use safari on my actual pc... please help...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Ok then I'm gonna assume you have firmware 1.1.1 (you can verify that you do by going to Settings->General->About and looking at the Version).

If so, then you need to Jailbreak your phone. Follow the instructions on the Jailbreak page. If you can't find it, I'll dig up the link. It's pretty easy to follow.

chugchugs

Oct 16, 2007
Ok then I'm gonna assume you have firmware 1.1.1 (you can verify that you do by going to Settings->General->About and looking at the Version).

If so, then you need to Jailbreak your phone. Follow the instructions on the Jailbreak page. If you can't find it, I'll dig up the link. It's pretty easy to follow.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me... I found a jailbreak download but it had no instructions...Maybe you know the link to the download with instructions on how to get it to my phone and how to use it...Thanks again