What do people see in AT&T?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Spetsnaz

Nov 26, 2007
Ok, it might just be that im not satisfied with the plans for the iPhone, or there are other plans you can get then the ones they show on the iPhone site, but i do not understand why people stand to pay so much a month for service...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

The lowest starting service you can get will be $60 a month, and that comes with 450 min's ,200 text messages, and 5000 night/weekend min's...which to the average phone user is not much, i mean you try not to use up all your day min's so you text, but then you run out of text messages and there is your problem. Another thing i do not understand is why do you care about night/weekend min's when the nights start at freaken 9pm-6am... It just seems to me that you are limited on the actually phone part of the iPhone.

And if you upgrade to unlimited texting it is a +$20 fee, so that makes the basic plan up to $80 a month, but normal people cant go by with only 450 min's a month so they upgrade to the $80 plan with double min's, which makes your montly bill $100.

I just don't seem to be able to find a balance in what plan i would feel safe using with the iPhone....

My message might seem a bit confusing, but that is because i might be confused about a few things, please don't flame, im a newbie to this...

Thanks

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You have to consider all the things that the plan includes. You are adding a $20 charge for the unlimited data (which if you compare to Verizon is cheap). The 450 minute is also roll-over, which means whatever you don't use from one month is rolled to the next. I guess it's just me, but 450 minutes is more than enough. If you look at an equivalent plan for Verizon (I had a Treo 700W with unlimited internet) it ended up being a couple dollars more a month than my iPhone. If you don't need the data plan, AT&T will now allow you to not add that. So I guess I'm saying it's about the same no matter who you go with.

Spetsnaz

Nov 26, 2007
It just seems worse i guess, with the data plan, what is that?

I guess since i have unlimited min's i'd have to look up my bills and see my average min. usage. If i can get by with unlimited texting and try not to use the 450min then i might buy the iPhone. But 450 min makes me feel so confined... But are those plans that i linked the only iPhon eplans right now?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, those plans are right. The AT&T site for the plans is here, http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...tion&source=IC9801001e0n1400&ContentId=900334.

The data plan just include the unlimited data for the iPhone. You know, surfing the net and email while not connected to a Wifi point. Most people haven't had this with their phones unless they've had a Crackberry or Treo so they neglect to add the extra money in for the data plans.

Spetsnaz

Nov 26, 2007
After long thought $80 a month wouldn't be bad if i could deal with the 450 min's, i might just keep all my calls for after 9pm tho lol. I wish they would change nights to 6-7pm, and weekends started on Friday ^_^, but thats asking to much.

Ty so much for your help.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I think that 20 bucks is reasonable, visual voicemail, unlimited internet [ i just tested the voyager and it SUCKED, the web browser is garbage, and 200 text included... this is better even then the blackberry plans that are available from ATT, 20 bucks is a good deal!

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I'm paying $100 a month right now on T-Mobile, and I have unlimited text, data, night and weekends, and I have 1000 minutes.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Every carrier has their own way to "gouge" what they can out of your wallet. You just have to decide what it is worth to have the phone you want and how you want to use it. I spend $140 a month (2100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data) and share (family plan) those minutes with three other phones. We never use them up. If it was just me, 450 wouldn't quite cover it but it would be close. Also, there is a plan to get the nights and weekends to start earlier.

Bottom line, locked phone=AT&T
unlocked phone= other GSM carrier

I have no problems with AT&T (Cingular) and haven't since AT&T wireless days over 5 years ago.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
everything is relative. before i got the iPhone, i was already with AT&T on the same 450 minute/month voice plan for $39.99. i rarely use up my minutes each month (and NEVER focus on when i'm on the phone to try to get the free night/weekend minutes) and have over 2,000 minutes in rollover at any given time.

and i had the 19.99 media net unlimited data plan to use with my treo 680. my total monthly increase to switch to the iPhone: $.01. totally worth it to me. i've been with AT&T/cingular since 1999 - i've had no problems with them whatsoever (knock on wood) and have always had great reception wherever i've lived.

AT&T now allows you to drop the data plan for the iPhone. while i don't think this makes much sense (why have an iPhone that has such great web browsing and other apps that easily gather information from the web without being able to use them as you wish without worrying about how much it will cost?), this could be a solution for you so that you can get a voice plan with more minutes for $20 "less"...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
LOL You and I have the same history with AT&T-Cingular-AT&T, same rate plan, and about the same amount of rollover.
Are you following me?

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Not only that but the majority of calls that I make on my mobile phone are to other mobile phones and as long as they are AT&T (which I would say 90% are) then those calls are free.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
and i believe if you are on one of AT&T's UNITY plans, you can call anyone either on a land line or a cell phone that is a subscriber to AT&T for free also!

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
think thats only cell. Most everyone in the midwest is on att land lines. Theyd lose a fortune if those calls were free.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nothing to do with plans, but this is what I see in AT&T:

- Evil
- Doom
- Despair
- Cruelty
- Badness
- [Create synonyms for above used words.]

- John

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I agree that 450 minutes a month is way too restrictive. I was trying to be good last month and still used 750.

Side note

For 7 bucks a month you can have your free night minutes start at 7 pm instead of the insane 9 oclock.

<----only pays $30 a month because I got lucky and am on a family plan. :)

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Ok, it might just be that im not satisfied with the plans for the iPhone, or there are other plans you can get then the ones they show on the iPhone site, but i do not understand why people stand to pay so much a month for service...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

The lowest starting service you can get will be $60 a month, and that comes with 450 min's ,200 text messages, and 5000 night/weekend min's...which to the average phone user is not much, i mean you try not to use up all your day min's so you text, but then you run out of text messages and there is your problem. Another thing i do not understand is why do you care about night/weekend min's when the nights start at freaken 9pm-6am... It just seems to me that you are limited on the actually phone part of the iPhone.

And if you upgrade to unlimited texting it is a +$20 fee, so that makes the basic plan up to $80 a month, but normal people cant go by with only 450 min's a month so they upgrade to the $80 plan with double min's, which makes your montly bill $100.

I just don't seem to be able to find a balance in what plan i would feel safe using with the iPhone....

My message might seem a bit confusing, but that is because i might be confused about a few things, please don't flame, im a newbie to this...

Thanks

man take yo'self to da Apple sto' and get dat iPhone man! LOL...you wont regret it...trust me:laugh2: