What do you guys think of the Google G2?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I met a guy at work last night (he worked for central staffing, so I probably won't see him again anytime soon) that uses the newly released G2. Initially, he was saying the iPhone "is a joke", because of all the Apple restrictions, but I explained all that jailbreaking allows. His wife actually uses an unlocked V1 (they're on T-Mobile), so I'm sure he already knew most of what the iPhone is capable of.

He said they port all the good iPhone apps to Android and it's unlocked and doesn't require jailbreaking to do things such as theming. He wanted to show me some of its capabilities, but his battery was dead. He did say that while AT&T will work, it would be pointless because only T-Mobile recognizes the software to run the apps, or something along those lines. He said he could do phone # spoofing, VNC, augmented reality, etc. So, it sounds like they're keeping up with the iPhone very well.

He also said that Biowall is in the works for Android, which will allow eye and fingerprint scanning to unlock the phone and passwords etc.
http://lslwww.epfl.ch/biowall/

Anyway, it sounds like a great phone and I got the feeling that this is the iPhones biggest competitor, not the Palm Pre.

What do you guys think about the G2?

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not much of a competitor with a dead battery, eh?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, that's not really fair ;)

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
is that the my touch that just came out, i think its ok ...

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I think any new smartphone should have the capability to have eye/finger print scanning to unlock your device, in addition to regular passwords.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, I don't think it was that one. The T-Mobile myTouch 3G in the US is known as the Rogers HTC Magic in Canada docomo HT-03A in Japan. Your post got me looking for it, and there seems to be several that are referred to as G2's. His was black, had a track ball, and expandable memory and he said it was released last month.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
No, I don't think it was that one. The T-Mobile myTouch 3G in the US is known as the Rogers HTC Magic in Canada docomo HT-03A in Japan. Your post got me looking for it, and there seems to be several that are referred to as G2's. His was black, had a track ball, and expandable memory and he said it was released last month.
Well, I thought the product is made by HTC, so HTC gives it their product name and then different carriers, countries, etc. give it their own name. They pretty much do that with all HTC products...

No?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, but I could tell from the pictures that it wasn't that one. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. They're all running Android and that's what I was looking for opinions on.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's the HTC Hero that's the bigger of the two Android competitors. It features the HTC Sense UI and will release on Sprint next month. myTouch is a slight improvement over the G1.

The Hero is certainly interesting. I've never been wowed by the Android Marketplace. Over 8,000 apps though.... I'm probably not looking in the right place.