What do you miss the most while waiting for JB?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by bballrob, Oct 23, 2011.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So, the one thing I hate about a new phone coming out is waiting for the first JB. Specifically, I miss the 3G Unrestrictor. What do you miss the most as we wait for the first JB for the 4s?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

SBSettings is something I will always jailbreak for, I wish Apple would add this feature to iOS soon.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would have to agree with you. I absolutely love SBSettings, a quick way to reboot and even more. Also I just miss having a totally different iPhone than others who are not Jailbroken. Such as video wallpaper etc.

4. adambodkins

adambodkins Member
    Bronze

SBSettings, my3g, mywi, and unlimitones. I don't miss bitesms too much because I can now do pretty much what it did in notifier. But I do miss having the ability to respond and not close an app.

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Great thread idea!

Action menu for me. I forgot how crippled the stock Apple cut/paste menu is, and how much I use that tweak.
    Also really miss 5 column spring and dock, as well as being able to see "iSnowtrooper" instead of my carrier name.
    Kill spotlight search and kill multitask also come to mind.

Thought most missed would be ToneFX, but Apple did pretty good with iOS 5's updated ring/text/alert tone options!

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iRealSMS...by far.

SBSettings, iFile, 3GUnrestrictor, SwitcherMod, TruPrint, Safari Download Manager, Attachment Saver and MyWi are nice to have, but stock text messaging is missing some very useful features and iRealSMS is my #1 reason to jailbreak.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not even going to use Action Menu anymore now that we can make favorites with iOS 5.

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Once again, schooled by Europa ;-)

Wasn't aware that was available, found it in settings>general>keyboard
    Another example of the extreme usefulness that is EIC!
    Thanks, Mindi!

9. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

At this point I solely jailbreak for SBSettings. I have the 4GB a month with tethering plan so MyWi is no longer needed

10. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I primarily miss BiteSMS. Beyond that it is MyWi. I don't FaceTime much anymore on 3G so 3G Unrestrictor is not too big of an issue yet. While I miss SBSettings I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I primarily used it to reboot or respiring my iPhone 4 as it seemed to be getting slower and slower.

I really wish Apple would look at BiteSMS, iRealSMS, etc. and allow us to reply to, or send new, texts without leaving our current app.

But all in all I am making out better than I expected with no jb.

Michael

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

If there is no jb or functional MyWi if and when I need to tether--which is infrequent--I am thinking of just biting the bullet and going for the tether option. Hopefully we can remove that easy enough and not be penalized as there are literally months that go by that I don't need to tether.

One thing I doubt I will ever do is purchase anymore jailbreak apps. It's not that I don't like many of them. It's just that, to me, there should be a more organized approach to finding a jailbreak and perhaps those who profit the most from it could help ensure it is done in a more timely fashion. Right now it is like: "Hey buy my app! It might not work after the next update but we like you will be waiting till the next whizz kid finds an exploit and creates a workable jailbreak. Then you can use the app we sold you. Hopefully. Maybe. Yay!"

Michael

12. Michael Baturin

Gold

I agree with this - and unfortunately I am guilty of spending at least $100 on Jailbreak apps within the past few years. When I go a while without a jailbreak and then decide to jailbreak, I am always amazed at the list of apps I have bought. Granted, some are $1 or $2 - but there are a few of them in there that are $20 - $30. But I wish there was a more structured way of finding jailbreaks. You said it perfect - the jailbreak app makers are dependent on the whiz kids.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You're both right, the dev's do rely on the next jailbreak. I think I'll always find a reason to jailbreak. For me SBSettings is a must, I know I moan about it but it's something I really wish Apple would integrate into iOS. As Mindi said earlier the native Messages app lacks certain key features which have been possible for ages. Seems to me as if they aren't using multitasking on their devices the way it should be i.e having to leave the current app you're in to send or compose a message - This is another head scratcher. Hopefully these will come in a 5.x update.

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Exactly. Surely they have seen the jb texting solutions and how well they work--without Apple's support (i.e., they are probably more complex than they would be if they didn't have to piggy back on the existing text app).

Texting, as well as chat (AIM, MS Live Messenger, Yahoo, etc.) could all benefit from allowing pop-up replies.

Michael

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Couldn't agree more, I know a lot of people who use IM clients daily. The iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad would benefit greatly with further integration. They really need to work on the Messages app.

16. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

If it weren't for SB Settings, I wouldn't jailbreak any more. I'll use a few more: bitesms, five column ifile. But I wouldn't do the jailbreak for those.

Apple: Why oh why can't I turn bluetooth on/off easily?

17. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Even if Apple gave us an SBSettings styled app for iOS I'd probably still jailbreak for the unique look.

18. Michael Baturin

Gold

Or how about this - make the battery so good SBSettings is not needed to turn off radios when not in use. Easier said than done, but if anyone can do it, Apple can

19. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Great tip as a standin. However it doesn't like to work for some passwords. I still miss Action Menu, Activator and Double At. I don't use MyWi a lot but enough to miss it.

20. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

True enough. But my real problem is with the bluetooth keyboard. When I'm at my desk, I use it with the phone to instant message. But then I go to other parts of the house, the keyboard stays attached to the phone. If I need to type something, I can't because it won't show me the on-screen keyboard. Thus the quick need to turn off bluetooth.

Oh well, jailbreak fixes it, and then I can make my phone look cooler too.