What do you need 64GB for?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
This is not a question of your purchase of a 64GB iPhone. I am just curious as to why you need a huge storage capacity? I always buy the 16GB (apart from my 3GS which was 32GB) that I bought from a friend. If I buy an iPhone now it's always 16GB. I never even fill that. How do you plan to fill 64GB? :O

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
This is not a question of your purchase of a 64GB iPhone. I am just curious as to why you need a huge storage capacity? I always buy the 16GB (apart from my 3GS which was 32GB) that I bought from a friend. If I buy an iPhone now it's always 16GB. I never even fill that. How do you plan to fill 64GB? :O
I wanted my entire music library on my phone which is around 33 GB. Plus some movies. I use my phone in my car as an iPod so it comes in handy to have all the music at my fingertips. Plus with having HD movie taking ability I decided to go with the bigger version.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
So who sprung for the new 64GB size this year? I did. More room for movies! Also, with the larger pics and new stabilization feature when recording video, I'm sure I'll be taking a lot more. Space is the last thing I'll want to worry about. The $399 + $250 price tag hurt a bit but between selling my wife's old phone and my old phone, we'll recoup most of that back.

So which size did you get and why?
There is a thread like this. Tilted 16, 32, 64 .....
The quote is the first post from that thread. Maybe a nice mod will merge them.

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
There a lot of reasons.. I am about to leave my country (Denmark) for 6 months.. Ill be in australia, thailand, new zealand and USA. I want to bring music with me and a few series i can watch on all these flights. Also ill take a lot fotos for facebook and a blog... But for good pictures ill bring a real camera.. Also ill use it to play games if bored and as a gps/ leksikon and translater ... Damn i got a lot stuff on this device ... So yes I can fill it maybe remember I am not near my mac half a year

Oct 3, 2009
Couple of reasons.

Hold a larger part of my music.
Store movies when I want to which works great while on the road because of the ability to airplay
Store more games for the kid
Store more spreadsheets
Hold more and longer HD video
Hold more pictures
And higher resell value in a year

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I had a 16GB 3GS for the past 2 years. I was always trying to creatively manage space.
Figured it would be nice not to have to worry about that at all....
Also, with 2 small snowtroopers running amok, doing HD video worthy antics, thought I would rather have too much than not enough.
Higher resale down the road a +!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Now that the camera is 8MP and records video at 1080p, a larger capacity iPhone would make sense since the photos and videos will be larger in file size. Plus I'm sure the iOS takes up more space with Siri installed.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Now that the camera is 8MP and records video at 1080p, a larger capacity iPhone would make sense since the photos and videos will be larger in file size. Plus I'm sure the iOS takes up more space with Siri installed.
That makes sense, I was wondering how much space Siri actually took up. I don't really use my camera tbh. I take pictures of my work but that's about it. The only pictures I have on my iPhone now are wallpapers. I may opt for the 32GB or 64GB next year.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think Siri takes up all that much space.
Siri is over the internet so most is done of servers so cant take a lot space
The 4S version of 5.o is 797 MB and the iPhone 4 version is 774 MB.