What do you think of Apple's Beats acquisition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, May 12, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

As annnounced recently on everythingicafe.com, Apple is rumored to be in talks to purchase Beats for $3.2B. Also as stated in the article, it is questionable whether Apple's interest in Beats is for the headphones alone. What are your thoughts on this?

If Apple were to purchase Beats just for the headphones, then I, for one, would be extremely dissatisfied with this decision. I think it's a horrible deal for Apple. There are a number of other companies who make audiophile-grade headphones that have been around for much, much longer than Beats. Bose and Sennheiser, to name just two...

Bose has been around since 1964.
    Sennheiser has been around since 1945 (though I don't know what year they started offering headphones).
    Grado has been around since 1953 (though I don't know what year they started offering headphones).
    Beats was founded in 2008. How can they possibly have the audio engineering savvy of these other companies?

Many, many years ago, I purchased an IBM Aptiva tower PC, and on the bottom of the right speaker (there were built-in speakers mounted on either side of the monitor), a small plate that read "Audio by Bose" had been affixed (see photo below; photo stolen off the Internet). It also says "Audio by Bose" on the lower right-hand corner of the subwoofer. I was proud of that "Audio by Bose" logo.

Bose.jpg

I would be proud to have a small Bose logo on my computer. But if Apple's purchase of Beats means Beats' audio technology is going to be incorporated into iMacs, MacBooks, etc., then I certainly hope Apple doesn't let them stamp the Beats logo on Apple's products. I woud be ashamed of having the Beats logo on any Apple product I may own in the future.

I certainly hope Apple does as they have done in the past: I believe the iPhone was one of the first phones that didn't have the carrier's logo emblazoned on it.

#1 Rafagon, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Lousy headphones, good subscription model.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've never owned a pair of Beats headphones (and have no intention to ever own a pair). I used to have a pair of Sony headphones that cost about $75 and the sound was absolutely perfect.

In the meantime, I'm content with the quality offered by the stock iPhone earbuds. I only wish they offered some sort of noise cancellation to keep out the sounds of nearby humans talking.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The sound quality of Beats has always been disparaged by audiophiles, but they are backed by a popular musician, perceived as premium quality and marketed well, especially to kids who enjoy heavy bass music. This has been a recipe for success and resulted in them remaining a profitable company. I think Apple is more interested in acquiring the subscription service than the hardware. This purchase is a good move because it cuts out part of the competition.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Boy, do I live a sheltered life. I'd never heard of a Beats subscription service ... oh, well ...

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had never heard of it either. I had heard of Beats, but haven't been impressed with anything I've seen.

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Beats headphones are more of a status symbol. It's an accesory. I've seen teens and adults wearing them on their heads but not over their ears without it connected to any audio device. I chuckle. It's a fad that will fade away but the streaming service is good. It's not just hip hop, BTW. Apple saw Beats great potential when Beats acquired MOG which Beats only paid $10 million.

#7 ZR_Yancy, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What is this world coming to... well... to a much lesser degree, an iPhone 5s is a status symbol... sorta. Fortunately, you don't have to sell a kidney on the black market in order to afford one.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Ahem. It was two years ago.

#10 Napoleon PhoneApart, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I would never have considered that deal to begin with. But number 3 would have blown it for sure. I still don't see where Apple gets $3.2 B worth of anything. That money would be better spent giving the iPhone longer battery life and other nice goodies.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow, I am surprised! I signed up for the free trial just to see what happens and created a playlist. I've been listening to Shadowfax for the past 15 minutes or so. I never would have guessed that a streaming service with a name like "Beats" could do a Windham Hill playlist. I'm impressed so far.

15. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Today's playlist was all Frank Zappa. I may have to reconsider planning to rip all my CDs & vinyl again. It was on external drives twice and the hardware failed me both times ... darn you Western Digital! Admittedly, this was in my pre-OSX days. Now, if they have stuff as obscure as Wildman Fisher, William Burroughs, Gentle Giant, and Gandalf, I will be truly impressed.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

"Jazz is not dead; it just smells funny."

"Trudging across the tundra, mile after mile..."

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Three words.......Backup, Backup and Backup again! I have 266GB of music on my PC, on a second PC and on a USB hard drive. Plus my son has a copy as well. The biggest problem is keeping all the copies identical when changes are made.

Sent from my iPhone 5

18. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't bought a WD drive since then but my time machine drive is a USB connected 500 GB WD portable that's just started deleting my very oldest file versions. I'd better replace that one soon. I have a lightning connected 3TB drive that is driven by Carbon Copy Cloner. It still holds my original Snow Leopard image before I upgraded to Mountain Lion. A second partition holds the ML image.

19. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The Beats acquisition could end up a horrible idea for Apple. I don't like Beats. I don't like anything about Beats. If I'm forced to pay out the a** just to listen to my music, Apple will lose me. I just hope all that does not pan out.