What do you want to see most in iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Apr 2, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For me, I'm still not happy with notifications. I'd love to see them do something major in this area.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In-app/lock screen texting and settings toggles are long overdue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. psylichon

psylichon Genius

More power-user configurable shortcut gestures a'la Activator.
    More control over how the home and lock screens looks.
    Deeper application hooks for Siri.
    Faster, local voice recognition.
    System-wide shortcuts to commonly accessed settings.
    More robust file system access and interchange.
    More robust stock apps. It's been a loooong time since some have been updated. Mail needs an overhaul.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think we'll ever get full file system access (I'll go in to detail on the reasons upon request). Partially expanded file system access that's still limited does me no good, so I don't even bother requesting that feature. I focus on the two things I think we're most likely to lose people to Android for - texting features and settings toggles. We've had these on jailbroken phones since before Android smartphones came out and they are easy to implement and incredibly useful. I'm perfectly happy with the Mail app. I'd rather see Siri improved to work faster and be more accurate than have application hooks. I can't get it to work with the current advertised features half the time right now, particularly through Bluetooth. For starters, Siri needs to fall back to Voice Controls automatically when we lose our cellular signal or at least stop using Internet for local controls such as music playback.

5. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

Something like irealsms or bitesms. Where we can respond to texts from lock screen or from any application without having to go to message app.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

• Toggles
    • In-app texting
    • Theme Store - Customisation
    • Activator
    • Mail does need an overhaul - especially with multiple accounts and/or exchange setup
    • Widgets - I should be the one who decides how long my battery should last even if I use widgets
    • Multiple-Users (Accounts) - goes way further than basic privacy control. This is a must on the iPad
    • Further Control over the filesystem i.e being allowed to use the system partition etc
    • Zephyr style gestures - I know we've got gestures, but Zephyr's better
    • Native Safari Download Manager
    • Dropbox integration into the OS.

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

• Mail does need an overhaul - especially with multiple accounts and/or exchange setup
        Agreed. So much could be done here
      • Widgets - I should be the one who decides how long my battery should last even if I use widgets
        Not gonna happen unless Apple gets their cut through App Store
      • Multiple-Users (Accounts) - goes way further than basic privacy control. This is a must on the iPad
        YES!
      • Dropbox integration into the OS.
        Just like Facebook and Twitter. But I suspect Apple is hoping to make iCloud into their own DropBox which would be OK if they did it right. iCloud could be good.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Something else I'd like to see in iOS 7 is having direct access to the built-in dictionary. Or a Dictionary/Thesaurus app from Apple that either comes with iOS or is downloadable from the App Store (for free of course). OS X has it, and I'd like to see it in iOS as well.

Does anyone know if the current built-in iOS dictionary contains definitions, as it does in OS X, or is it just there for auto-correction services?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Realistically, we're only going to get a few big software improvements/additions. I'm surprised so many people are ranking email improvements up there towards the top. Like the browser, we can improve mail and add features by installing alternative apps if it doesn't do everything we need. I'm looking for actual jailbreak features to be included as stock. If iOS 7 comes out and mail improvements are the big thing Apple touts, I'm going to be annoyed. We are way overdue for some of our jailbreak tweaks with no stock alternatives to become available.

10. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

All the "cool", "new", innovations we see from other phone OS makers - that's the stuff, or better yet, type of stuff I would like to see in iOS 7.

Some examples:

- TimeShift feature in the Blackberry Z10.
    - Eye Tracking system found in Blackberry Z10.
    - Cusomization features of Android.
    - Live Tiles feature of Windows OS.

I know all of these things are taken from other phone OS makers. Those phone makers tout these things as their differentiating factors although I believe Apple still has the dominate mobile OS. These other features and innovations we see in other phones' OSs aren't what I consider game changers but rather perception changers. I think these types of things are so popular with many people simply because they are "things you cant have on an iPhone" And while I don't expect Apple to always be the only company innovating, I do think they need to do a better job of keeping up with the seemingly small but cool innovations that ring home largely with consumer's popular perception.

11. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

toggles.

anything else would be gravy.

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The dropbox style feature would obviously latch onto and be a part of the iCloud service. My only concern is that it'll probably be a charged service, unless they gave everyone 2gb or so i.e like Dropbox does on signup. That way, I could move docs, photo's and other work type stuff into of a personal cloud based drive. I know you have the 5gb inclusive storage space, but I can't upload what I want!

Mail needs a spruce up, it's as simple as that.

Widgets, one can dream....

I use the downloadable iOS dictionary all the time. If there's something I'm unsure of I'll quickly check it (for those that don't know, tap and hold on the word, select it, then tap the define button) using the dictionary. I think this is a really good feature. Auto-correct is built into iOS.

As for eye-tracking. Meh. Imagine if you were a bit drunk, your phone would go mental!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, I dream about widgets every night. :p
    /sarcasm

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

:D

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Great. She's stopped dreaming about me every night. Not good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I don't think you will see widgets or live tiles for some time.
    The person who said Dropbox integration, as well as many other integrations is one thing I can see.
    Dropbox, Instapaper, etc

From the jailbreak side, I see cytact and parts of bite SMS making their way in.

I see Jihnny Ives making tons of pure cosmetic changes. I would even expect that light blue to be replaced with a darker one.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Please, no live tiles, Apple.

I don't get the lure of widgets. Yes, I do like the weather widget we currently have and stocks is nice if you like stocks, but I don't see a need for any others. Apps and websites are just as easy to access and they don't contribute to battery drain. To me, widgets are just flashy and unnecessary battery hogs like video wallpapers. I don't even use them on my iMac where battery life isn't an issue.

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Don't see it happening. Ever. Apple will protect its own cloud storage service, and iOS links to DropBox would threaten iCloud's evolution. I do expect to see a significant improvement in iCloud and its integration into iOS, perhaps with an altered pay structure for the service. Apple knows that the cloud is the future.

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

But she did not say it wasn't a widget of you. She still dreams of you. It's just that you're a widget... on her iMac, her iPhone, her iPod, and soon, on her iWatch.

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Couldn't agree more, it'll never happen because of Apple's iCloud. I do hope they allow us to have more control over what we/I store in the cloud, rather than the current stuff.