What does a constant iPhone 3G low-battery indication mean (and how to solve it)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
For days, on various cables and chargers, my kid's iPhone 3G has been stuck on this low-battery indication:
iphone_3g.jpg

We let the battery sit for days, so as to die, so that we might reboot it; but upon plugging it back in, it still just sits there at this low-battery mark.

Unfortunately, the only working button on the phone is the home button as the top and left buttons fell off long ago.

The reason I post this is to ask if you guys with iPhone experience recognize what kind of state the iPhone 3G is in - and perhaps - you have the experience to suggest ways to get it out of whatever mode it's stuck in?

Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is that screen glitches at the top? You could try blowing out the dock port with some compressed air and using a different charging cable and outlet/USB port. If that doesn't work it's likely hardware failure.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
Is that screen glitches at the top?
Thanks for your reply. The phone was dropped a thousand times as it's used by a kid.
But the kid says he didn't drop it recently.
You could try blowing out the dock port with some compressed air
That's a great suggestion. I just blew it clean with compressed air. Used a whole bottle of the stuff and plugged it back in. I will report back if it makes a difference.
bot.JPG

and using a different charging cable and outlet/USB port.
I had tried that. I used different cables, tied to the PC, to the car, and to the wall. All had the same results.
walll.JPG

If that doesn't work it's likely hardware failure.
Is there a way to reboot the thing without having a top button?
topp.JPG

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Letting the battery die is the only way in your situation and that didn't work. It sounds like hardware failure.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
Letting the battery die is the only way in your situation
One thing I don't know, having had no experience with iPhones, is whether this empty red battery symbol is common.
I was hoping that this "symptom" would be something that at least has been seen before.
Am I the first one with this particular symptom that you know of?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, I've seen it before. Those screen glitches are a bad sign and indicate that there is likely something wrong with the hardware. I imagine you could get a replacement 3G for about $50 on eBay or Craigslist. You can get a 3GS for less than $100 now.