What does iCloud mean for MobileMe?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
There are still some paying MobileMe members out there... I wonder if this will be glanced over or if they might give them a little bonus like free iTunes matching or increased storage.

Sep 6, 2010
I thought Naps said in another thread that MobileMe is gone? I have a MM email address that hasn't worked in a while.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Fortunately my sub is up in September. Hoping iCloud will be up around then too.

I think they have not accepted renewals from some people. Refunded it--but it will probably still work post-expire for them too.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I thought Naps said in another thread that MobileMe is gone? I have a MM email address that hasn't worked in a while.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
MM is not gone. Mine works. And they did say that me.com email addresses were part of iCloud.

MobileMe as a product may be gone but they would not yank email like that. Has to be another thing going on if yours does not work.

Mike

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i'm sure the service will continue just fine. I just think it's an unusual situation where there are still paying customers for a service that is being openly mocked by Steve Jobs himself in the Keynote.

Sep 6, 2010
MM is not gone. Mine works. And they did say that me.com email addresses were part of iCloud.

MobileMe as a product may be gone but they would not yank email like that. Has to be another thing going on if yours does not work.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. Maybe I need to check to see if my subscription is up to date. I don't remember getting any notification about it, though.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks, Mike. Maybe I need to check to see if my subscription is up to date. I don't remember getting any notification about it, though.
That is probably it. Unless you used the Web version of MM. In that case its slow-as-molasses speed may have made it seem like it was down. :)

Michael

Sep 6, 2010
I never really used MobileMe anyway, except for the email address. So I'm okay with not having it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Heh. Just got this email:

Important information for MobileMe members.
Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

MobileMe is a service provided by Apple • Terms of Service • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. • 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014

You are receiving this email from Apple to notify you of service information regarding your MobileMe account.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Excellent. I might actually start using my me.com email address lol. I started out using it only to forward all my gmail mail to, before gmail was true push. At least I got my email address before the floodgates were opened, and pickings are slim. :)

Michael

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
If you have Mobile ME, it will work as is till July 2012. But, when iCloud is released you can convert over to it, and KEEP your current email address. If you have JUST renewed your service, you'll get a refund, BUT, Apple are extended ALL Mobile ME account till July 2012...

I received an email from Apple today (like many other Mobile ME users) about it...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm curious. Can any Mobile ME user log into the Control Panel app, in Windows? I can't, albeit the web interface works...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yes, it should work. That's what it's for.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I received the same email. What it does not address is "Galleries" on MM. I have 20g of pictures stored in albums. With iCloud, I guess everything will get dumped to my Mac and/or PC?

I liked having the ability to share albums with friends and letting them up and download. I guess Apple wants me to use Google's Picasa.

No mention of iDisk either. Guess they want us to go to another company's service like Dropbox or SugarSync.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, there are still a few unanswered questions. I guess we'll just have to wait and see all the features that iCloud offers.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I received the same email. What it does not address is "Galleries" on MM. I have 20g of pictures stored in albums. With iCloud, I guess everything will get dumped to my Mac and/or PC?

I liked having the ability to share albums with friends and letting them up and download. I guess Apple wants me to use Google's Picasa.

No mention of iDisk either. Guess they want us to go to another company's service like Dropbox or SugarSync.
Very good points. I rarely used the Galleries feature but have started to store seldom-used MacBook Air apps on iDisk. Guess we will have to see how it plays out.

Michael