What does iCloud mean for MobileMe?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
My initial thoughts when hearing about iCloud was that there would be some base storage free (which we now know there is, 5g) and what Apple would do is give us loyal, paying, Mobile Me customers some additional storage at no cost. OR they could give us the iTunes Match for free for a year or two since it is only $24.99.

From what I can see, the iCloud is more of a "train stop" on the way from my iPhone to my iPad and Mac and PC. I do not see where the information is being stored there. It just moves it to our other devices. There was no display of a Web Browser with access to your iCloud items. Everything they showed was on the Apple hardware. Unlike now, I can access my mail, idisk, galleries, contacts, calendar from any web browser on any computer.

I also found the calendar discussion, old hat. I already do exactly what the iCloud is "GOING" to do. I have a 5 user MM account and my wife has a me.com as does my son. One of us makes an entry on the family calendar and all our phones, computers, and iPads have the entry. Heck we get an email advising us of the entry (though I have tried to turn that off and MM just does not turn it off).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
From what I can see, the iCloud is more of a "train stop" on the way from my iPhone to my iPad and Mac and PC.
I really like that analogy.

What about our .mac addresses? I never moved to .me and would like to keep my .mac.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
a while ago, Apple said .mac gets automatically translated to .me on their end. I imagine that will continue.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I think the .mac just became .me accounts. However, I have a friend and I still email him as xxx.mac.com and he gets my messages. So Apple must have just done a re-direction or forward indefinitely on those addresses. I thought I remember seeing a notice by Apple that if you had websites or other information under .Mac, you had to save it or it was going to be lost. I fear that is what will happen with my galleries, though I would imagine they will transfer to my Mac and PC via PhotoStream prior to the loss of the online albums.

The part I liked is I would upload all of our pictures (just did Memorial Day weekend) and then send the album to friends and they could upload their pictures via email or online and download the ones I had. I do not see that feature being available in iCloud.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I was about to make a new thread for this, but seems like I may as well post it here:

What about iDisk? Has anybody any idea what will happen to iDisk? I use this thing a lot for school, although I'm aware that perhaps Documents on the cloud may be seen as a replacement for iDisk?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I think the .mac just became .me accounts. However, I have a friend and I still email him as xxx.mac.com and he gets my messages. So Apple must have just done a re-direction or forward indefinitely on those addresses. I thought I remember seeing a notice by Apple that if you had websites or other information under .Mac, you had to save it or it was going to be lost. I fear that is what will happen with my galleries, though I would imagine they will transfer to my Mac and PC via PhotoStream prior to the loss of the online albums.

The part I liked is I would upload all of our pictures (just did Memorial Day weekend) and then send the album to friends and they could upload their pictures via email or online and download the ones I had. I do not see that feature being available in iCloud.
When MobileMe replaced .Mac, it took Apple between 1 and 2 years before they declared that all .Mac information would be deleted, so I think that we will have a considerable amount of time before we need to even worry about pulling our things from MobileMe.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I was about to make a new thread for this, but seems like I may as well post it here:

What about iDisk? Has anybody any idea what will happen to iDisk? I use this thing a lot for school, although I'm aware that perhaps Documents on the cloud may be seen as a replacement for iDisk?
No mention of that. :( But I suspect it is going away. I guess since iCloud is free. aside from music matching, that comes with the territory.

I had hardly ever used iDisk---till now :(. I use it for little used apps for my MB Air, as onboard storage is limited. Guess it will be dropbox or similar when iDisk goes away, which is not for another year at this point.

Michael