What does iMessage do and why would I use it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
iMessage is simply another form of text messaging, BUT, it uses your data package, versus your text messaging plan. The person you're conversing with MUST have an iOS device, i.e. not a BlackBerry, or Android, etc.

The benefits of this is that you can see when someone is typing a response to you, and if they have their 'read receipt' on, you can see when they have read the message, too...

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It is also free as far as not counting towards your texting plan. I don't have unlimited texting, so anyone I txt on IOS 5 doesn't get counting against my limited txt plan.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Does anyone know about how much data it uses for a text? I know it will vary and also be more when multimedia is evolved but just looking for an average of a sentence about this size. I would think its very small and won't affect people's data that much.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Yeah, the data use is minuscule.

As to the typing, however, that really doesn't show active typing. It actually just shows that the person has the app open and their cursor is in the message box.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...ah, brilliant info. I wasn't aware of this...

Yeah, the data use is minuscule.

As to the typing, however, that really doesn't show active typing. It actually just shows that the person has the app open and their cursor is in the message box.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Not true. Just having the app open with the cursor in the message box does not show the active typing indicator. It shows the typing indicator only if you did in fact start typing, and continue typing. You can type half a sentence and the indicator will show while you are typing it. If you stop typing for 5 seconds it will no longer show the typing indicator to the other party--not until you start typing again will it reappear for the other person.

I am looking at it right now between my iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. Works exactly as you would expect it to work.

Michael

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
How do you know if a person read your text? I have it on but I don't know exactly what it does when they do. If I send and says delivered?

Vonwachtstain

Bronze
Jan 2, 2011
CT, USA
iMessage is good if you want to sent a video through text. If you are on 3G the quality of the video will be reduced but on WiFi it isn't. That's why I use it. Other than that is pretty much useless if you are on unlimited texting plan

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
How do you know if a person read your text? I have it on but I don't know exactly what it does when they do. If I send and says delivered?
You will see it like this, below the message you sent: "Read 7:31 PM."

I have everyone I know on iOS 5.x turn on read receipts. :)

Michael

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You will see it like this, below the message you sent: "Read 7:31 PM."

I have everyone I know on iOS 5.x turn on read receipts. :)

Michael
see that's why I didn't get that. I don't text anyone but my GF and it was set to off on her phone, I thought it was my phone. Thanks!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
The person you're conversing with MUST have an iOS device, i.e. not a BlackBerry, or Android, etc.
To clarify, not only must they have an iOS device, they must have a device running iOS 5.

As far as its real benefits, my girlfriend and I both have 4Ss, mine on AT&T, hers on Sprint, and we use iMessage all the time. Most of my outbound messages are colored blue, which tells me they're sent as iMessage. I can see when she's typing a reply, and I enable the read receipts, so she knows when I read a message...and if I don't reply right away, she knows I'm probably driving or busy. But it confirms it got there. It's more flexible than texting in the types of files you can attach. MMS also uses the data plan to send the file, so it's a wash. We both have unlimited texting so there's little advantage other than the fact that when there's no data service available, it does revert to texting very well.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Bear in mind, the person you're sending to must turn on read receipts (their option) for you to know when they read something you send.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I've noticed iMessage is lightning quick, faster than a regular text message it seems like.

I've tried it w/a friend who had a 4S and it pretty much was on his phone once I hit the send button lol.

Oct 3, 2009
Message for me is pointless. I have unlimited text and so do most people I know. I also have unlimited data so it's not a big deal but most people I know do not have unlimited data so they have turned iMessage off so it doesn't eat up their data plan.

And I have no need to text to iPods. That's a high school/middle school kid thing.