What does iMessage do and why would I use it?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Message for me is pointless. I have unlimited text and so do most people I know. I also have unlimited data so it's not a big deal but most people I know do not have unlimited data so they have turned iMessage off so it doesn't eat up their data plan.

And I have no need to text to iPods. That's a high school/middle school kid thing.
Well if you think of iMessage as equivalent to texting then it is pointless. But that is not the fault of iMessage. As for data... it uses so little that it is not even worth mentioning. If you sent 1,000 160 character messages per day that would only be 5MB of data in an entire month. It doesn't even make a dent in even the smallest data plan. So I have to shake my head at the data concerns.

As for me, I would much rather use iMessage than plain old text. With text I don't even know if the message was actually delivered, let alone read. In a back and forth conversation with iMessage I can see when the other party is in the midst of typing so I will often wait to see what they are typing before sending another message. With text I would have sent a message that might not even apply. Then the back and forth crap to correct it. Let me not forget the classic "sent my text just as I got yours."

Anyone who is already using IM should feel right at home with iMessage (ditto for BBM users). Regarding the people I know on iOS 5.x , we pretty much have all stopped using whatever flavor IM each of us preferred. No longer do I have to remember that Tommy uses Yahoo and Rosalie MSN Messenger. Now it is just iMessage. Better yet if either of us have no access to data but still have cell signal for voice, iMessage will automatically send as text. So that tops just about any IM app in that regard.

Michael

topeyeguy

Nov 28, 2010
Another big advantage of iMessage is free texting between iMessage users when using WiFi. Great for overseas use or USA/Canada. So when you see the recipient is "blue",
text away without affecting your text or data package!

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
iMessaging is one of those things that, had it been on the original iPhone, might have knocked Blackberry out of its industry leading status for businesss right then and there. But that was one of those things that seem to me Jobs was wrong about. He really thought that by now all messaging would be email only.

He was a visionary, just not a prophet as so many thought. He was allowed to be wrong now and again.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Also when you are on any airplane and don't have Cell Service, you can still text if you access the airline's WiFi.

Oct 3, 2009
Well if you think of iMessage as equivalent to texting then it is pointless. But that is not the fault of iMessage. As for data... it uses so little that it is not even worth mentioning. If you sent 1,000 160 character messages per day that would only be 5MB of data in an entire month. It doesn't even make a dent in even the smallest data plan. So I have to shake my head at the data concerns.
Well if you think of texting as in just sending words, then yes, but what about pictures and video? Those can eat up data pretty fast. So before shaking your head, you should think of the whole picture. Again, might not apply to you but lots of people send pictures and video on a daily basis.

Although I am not entirely sure that pictures and video go through iMessage. Super slow sending of MMS even when on Wi-Fi.

tfalsetta

May 10, 2009
Ever notice you can't iMessage and talk at the same time if you are on verizon. I can't believe the iPhone has made Verizon look so bad.

Oct 3, 2009
Edit...if you turn off cell data then iMessage sends fast on wi-fi. So I think it defaults to cell data first for all messages (text and MMS) and only does wi-fi if you do not have a data connection.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I was actually serious, I want to drop my text plan altogether and only rely on iMessages. I don't text anyone but my girlfriend so its good to know I can imessage her using wifi if I'm ever stuck on a plane with no cell service, which has happen before.
So my was a legit question, maybe I sounded stupid there, it won't be the first time.

Oct 3, 2009
I was actually serious, I want to drop my text plan altogether and only rely on iMessages. I don't text anyone but my girlfriend so its good to know I can imessage her using wifi if I'm ever stuck on a plane with no cell service, which has happen before.
So my was a legit question, maybe I sounded stupid there, it won't be the first time.
If the only person you text is someone with an iDevice and running iOS 5 then it's legit but if not, then wi-fi text messaging isn't going to work well since it doesn't work with other devices.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Oh yeah, that's why it makes sense to me :D

Oct 3, 2009
Oh yeah, that's why it makes sense to me :D
:LOL: that's why I said it was a little misleading. I would venture to guess that most people don't only message to people running iOS5. For your use it would be perfect depending on data usage but based on other comments from you it seems you don't send many pictures or video either.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
:LOL: that's why I said it was a little misleading. I would venture to guess that most people don't only message to people running iOS5. For your use it would be perfect depending on data usage but based on other comments from you it seems you don't send many pictures or video either.
Why would you have a friend that isn't running ios5 lol :p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well if you think of texting as in just sending words, then yes, but what about pictures and video? Those can eat up data pretty fast. So before shaking your head, you should think of the whole picture. Again, might not apply to you but lots of people send pictures and video on a daily basis.

Although I am not entirely sure that pictures and video go through iMessage. Super slow sending of MMS even when on Wi-Fi.
Uh, yes, "texting" is just words. That is what "text" means. You cannot send anything other than text via SMS. Sub-par videos and pics are sent via MMS not text. iPhone 4S pictures are not even received properly by half of my contacts when sent as MMS, nor is there any confirmation they actually did or did not go through.

If someone wants to send send videos or pictures iMessage is better than MMS. For one thing, MMS turns videos to crap. iMessage sends them in high-quality, but slightly lower if on 3G (but still way better than MMS). Plus you actually can tell they have been delivered. That is not a feature to just dismiss out of hand: it is extremely useful in actual use.

The data usage is still a straw man argument since the alternative to sending equivalent quality videos or pictures is email which would use the same amount of data.

Michael

Oct 3, 2009
Uh, yes, "texting" is just words. That is what "text" means. You cannot send anything other than text via SMS. Sub-par videos and pics are sent via MMS not text. iPhone 4S pictures are not even received properly by half of my contacts when sent as MMS, nor is there any confirmation they actually did or did not go through.

If someone wants to send send videos or pictures iMessage is better than MMS. For one thing, MMS turns videos to crap. iMessage sends them in high-quality, but slightly lower if on 3G (but still way better than MMS). Plus you actually can tell they have been delivered. That is not a feature to just dismiss out of hand: it is extremely useful in actual use.

The data usage is still a straw man argument since the alternative to sending equivalent quality videos or pictures is email which would use the same amount of data.

Michael
You are missing the point.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
I love iMessage! Canadian texting is now free! We are no longer restricted to just email.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Message for me is pointless. I have unlimited text and so do most people I know. I also have unlimited data so it's not a big deal but most people I know do not have unlimited data so they have turned iMessage off so it doesn't eat up their data plan.

And I have no need to text to iPods. That's a high school/middle school kid thing.
Do they have the 200 MB plan? I can't see it making a dent in a 2 GB plan.

That's a little judgmental, don't you think? I have a friend who has an iPod Touch and a non-smartphone. We use iMessages instead of cellular whenever she has WiFi. I don't see how that's a "middle school/kid thing."

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I do wish iMessage had 'Read Receipt' on by default. Sort of like BlackBerry Messenger...