What does iMessage do and why would I use it?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I love iMessage! Canadian texting is now free! We are no longer restricted to just email.
Free international is a great service.

I do so wish BBM would go cross platform because I've still many close friends and fam on Blackberry. The Canadian affect you know.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You are missing the point.
I get the point and but don't really care if you do or don't use iMessage. Since you have already stated you do not use it there is little more you can offer on the topic.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I do wish iMessage had 'Read Receipt' on by default. Sort of like BlackBerry Messenger...
Me too. I hate having to tell everyone to turn it on. But as a control freak I have to lol.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Free international is a great service.

I do so wish BBM would go cross platform because I've still many close friends and fam on Blackberry. The Canadian affect you know.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk
Don't worry. They will soon have to abandon that sinking ship.

But seriously, I have a few BB hold-outs as close friends too (one of the last has an iPhone 4S on order). Best I could do was have us use WhatsApp Messenger. At least it has the sent/read indicators.

Michael

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
iMessage is good if you want to sent a video through text. If you are on 3G the quality of the video will be reduced but on WiFi it isn't. That's why I use it. Other than that is pretty much useless if you are on unlimited texting plan
This. iMessage does not compress video, SMS does. To those who think iMessage is pointless, it's not. Not everyone can afford cel bills, iPad, iPod are used by many and useful for those who want to text to one another, not just kids. Rumor saying it will be implemented with iChat for Mac users. Who knows? Build it and they will come.

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
I have a friend who is in south Africa for a fee weeks, he has an iPhone. Will imessaging him run my phone bill up?

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
I have a friend who is in south Africa for a fee weeks, he has an iPhone. Will imessaging him run my phone bill up?
No, it shouldn't. They aren't billed to carriers but it however uses data. So running on WIFI shouldn't be a problem, now would it?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
No, it shouldn't. They aren't billed to carriers but it however uses data. So running on WIFI shouldn't be a problem, now would it?

I'm lucky enough to have unlimited data but idk about him, ill mention the wifi thing

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011

oh and unlimited texting should cover long distance lol

Oct 3, 2009
I get the point and but don't really care if you do or don't use iMessage. Since you have already stated you do not use it there is little more you can offer on the topic.

Michael
It's amazing how you can totally discount a valid opinion from someone just because it may not apply to you. You don't have to be totally abrasive just because someone has a different opinion or experience than you. It's pretty obvious that you might not care if someone uses it or not, but you certainly care WHY they don't use it.

Oct 3, 2009
Also when you are on any airplane and don't have Cell Service, you can still text if you access the airline's WiFi.
Last time I was on a plane, they wanted cells turned off. Or in airplane mode.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...curious, do you (asking all of you here) have your mobile number or email address as the CallerID?

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
...curious, do you (asking all of you here) have your mobile number or email address as the CallerID?
It depend on how they setup and it's optional, really. iPod and iPad don't use mobile number, so email will only show as Caller ID. Hopes that helps. :)

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
I do wish iMessage had 'Read Receipt' on by default. Sort of like BlackBerry Messenger...
I agree. I don't see why they made it an option. Wish they would have just integrated it right in from the beginning.

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
I agree. I don't see why they made it an option. Wish they would have just integrated it right in from the beginning.
Privacy control? Think about it. ;)

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
So put it in airplane mode. You can still use iMessage.
Now I wonder how it can sent data if it's in airplane mode without wifi connection. ;)