What does iMessage do and why would I use it?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I will remember to fly you to the Amazon rain forest as a requisite to personally moving to an iPhone.

Nope, no screenshot necessary. Thanks for all the info. :) I'll ask around and see if it can be of value to me. The challenge will be the change of habit in the circle. Thinking about my iPod as a messaging device is the last thing simply because I do have a cell. But again, I really miss BBM and this could be a stop gap.
Or you could get an iPhone. No stop gap needed lol *ducking*

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I meant my window in the desert here, not a hut in the rainforest.
You'd really turn down a trip to watch the tree frogs jumping about?

Or you could get an iPhone. No stop gap needed lol *ducking*
It's a bit expensive now with my prior commit, so the fit has to be perfect. (not that my current is that, perfect)

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
True, but neither are complete until they have a pool table.
I think with the maturity of the devices, we're all looking for that 'wow' factor of yesteryear. I get mine from daily/weekly root stuff. There is a cost to it though, so I'd not recommend my particular habit unless you're ready to frequent the forums.

Good night all. Assume third shift for you, Mindi?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You'd really turn down a trip to watch the tree frogs jumping about?
Meh. I saw a fishbowl of women, male prostitues soliciting guys on the street, a cart of well-arranged, gourmet beetles and a family of five traveling on one moped in Asia; that was more interesting than frogs in a rainforest.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Meh. I saw a fishbowl of women, male prostitues soliciting guys on the street, a cart of well-arranged, gourmet beetles and a family of five traveling on one moped in Asia; that was more interesting than frogs in a rainforest.
Somewhere an old retired sailor from the 70's just sat straight up in his bed. Lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think with the maturity of the devices, we're all looking for that 'wow' factor of yesteryear. I get mine from daily/weekly root stuff. There is a cost to it though, so I'd not recommend my particular habit unless you're ready to frequent the forums.

Good night all. Assume third shift for you, Mindi?
I was put on call due to low census tonight. :)

KRIEGHOFF

Bronze
Oct 28, 2011
WOW! I started a good one with this question!

I know this thread is now a month old, but there seems to be a lot of confusion based around iMessage and its amount of data usage and why one should or shouldn't use it. First, let me explain why iMessage is great, and I know this is purely anecdotal and doesn't apply to everyone.

Take myself for example: I am an AT&T subscriber who is on the 1,000 SMS a month plan (now no longer exists since iMessage came into existence, it's all or nothing with AT&T). I chose this because it allowed me to keep my cellphone plan under $60/mo (450 minutes, 2GB and a 15% discount).

Before iOS 5, I used Kik with those that I text the most and it worked well, because at the time those that I frequently texted weren't all on iPhone; some were on BB, Android, etc. Kik is nice, but I didn't particularly like the idea of having to have a third party app to text and the fragmented experience of having my messages scattered between the native text message app and Kik.

When the iPhone 4S hit, most everyone I know switched, at least those that I texted daily. This was great as we now all had the option to use iMessage and could delete Kik.

Now, as for data usage, even those on a 200MB plan should be okay — especially if they were already previously sending/receiving photos/videos as MMS does count against your data usage (this is as of a few days ago when I inquired about this directly with AT&T, it may be different for other carriers).

Every iMessage does count against your data plan, regardless if it includes photos or videos but the data amount is so minuscule that it does not matter. Before any text is counted in the total encapsulated size, a typical iMessage begins at around a 30-50 bytes. Each character counts for 1 byte so a typical message that is around ~100-200 characters would only be around 1.5-2KB. To put things into perspective, sending 100,000 (text only) iMessages in a month would use only around ~25MB of data. I'm a heavy text'er and at my peak, I send maybe 3,000 a month.

Now, if you throw into the mix your other devices that you own: iPad, iPod, etc. this is where iMessage truly shines. If you have things properly configured, you can have a seamless experience. Start a conversation on your iPhone and pick up exactly where you left off on your iPad, or vice-versa.

Also, iMessage will work anywhere you have a data connection, regardless if it's on GPRS, Edge, 3G, LTE, Wi-Fi, etc. unlike SMS/MMS where you are required to be connected to a cellular tower and have a data connection through it. For someone that flies a lot, iMessage works on planes with Wi-Fi! Just turn airplane mode on and then Wi-Fi on and you're golden (and that's not a bug, that's how it's supposed to work. Airplane mode just shuts off all radios, and you can turn them back on individually).

Another cool feature with iMessage is having the ability to converse with someone without giving them your phone number (you can setup a number of emails to receive iMessages on). This may not be applicable to many, but I'm sure it has its use cases with some. Having control over such privacy/anonymity is not a bad thing.

For many, they will use iMessage and never know it; they will continue to go about businesss as usual and not feel the effects (or perks) of using iMessage. For others, it's a blessing. I personally don't see how anyone could see it as being something detrimental and not worth using.

I hope this clears up any confusion for those that are still unsure of what iMessage is and why they should (or why they shouldn't) use it.

raf66

Sep 26, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to the iPhone. I know I'm kind of resurrecting an old thread but I've got a question re: iMessage.

I just recently purchased the iPhone 5. I have a iMac desktop computer at home for my family's use. My daughter, who is in college, also has an iPhone (4). When she got her iPhone she was in HS and living at home, so she connected to our iTunes account. We have one master account (my kids and I all have had iPod Touches and my daughter has an iPhone), but the only hardware still utilizing the iTunes account is my desktop (obviously), my iPhone 5 and my daughter's iPhone 4. When I activated my iPhone 5 I did so with VZW over the phone (and by using my iTunes account). Now, when people using an iPhone/iPad (anything with iOS) text me, my daughter and I both get the message as an iMessage. Similarly, when I send an iMessage to my daughter she gets a duplicate message. I don't know if she would get copied on an iMessage that I send to another iOS user besides her. I certainly don't want to risk getting copied on her texts to her iOS friends (well, strike that, I guess it could come in handy!-JK), and I don't want her getting copied on my texts to/from iOS users.

Anyway, is this an iMessage issue or an iTunes account issue? Or both?

Thanks and so far this convert from a Droid X is lovin' his new iPhone.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Not for me i like it cause it sends like and vids fast like almost instant compared to a Normal mms or SMS.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to the iPhone. I know I'm kind of resurrecting an old thread but I've got a question re: iMessage.

I just recently purchased the iPhone 5. I have a iMac desktop computer at home for my family's use. My daughter, who is in college, also has an iPhone (4). When she got her iPhone she was in HS and living at home, so she connected to our iTunes account. We have one master account (my kids and I all have had iPod Touches and my daughter has an iPhone), but the only hardware still utilizing the iTunes account is my desktop (obviously), my iPhone 5 and my daughter's iPhone 4. When I activated my iPhone 5 I did so with VZW over the phone (and by using my iTunes account). Now, when people using an iPhone/iPad (anything with iOS) text me, my daughter and I both get the message as an iMessage. Similarly, when I send an iMessage to my daughter she gets a duplicate message. I don't know if she would get copied on an iMessage that I send to another iOS user besides her. I certainly don't want to risk getting copied on her texts to her iOS friends (well, strike that, I guess it could come in handy!-JK), and I don't want her getting copied on my texts to/from iOS users.

Anyway, is this an iMessage issue or an iTunes account issue? Or both?

Thanks and so far this convert from a Droid X is lovin' his new iPhone.
You don't need to use your iTunes ID email for iMessage: you can use ANY email account. Surely your daughter has her own email. She will need to set iMessage to use that email and uncheck the Apple ID email. The part that matters is the "you can be reached at part."

Or are you saying you are getting iMessages sent to a phone number?

Mike

raf66

Sep 26, 2012
Tinman, iMessage is only reaching us via our cell phone #s. I unchecked the email part, and she did the same.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Tinman, iMessage is only reaching us via our cell phone #s. I unchecked the email part, and she did the same.
Just have anyone but you uncheck that phone number in the "you can be reached" and don't "start new conversations from" sections. In iMessage settings.

I'm pretty sure iMessage asks you before attaching a phone number on a device (other than the devices own phone number). Your daughter likely said yes when asked. Instead she should have declined.

Michael