What does the "S" stand for in iPhone 4S?

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
I don't get it? why do they keep sticking that letter in there...When 4G comes out in the iPhone will they dub it the iPhone 4GS?...Why cant they just keep it minimalist and simple..."S" stands for super maybe?!?!?!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
S = Speed. That's what it stood for when they released the 3GS anyway.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I think it means Speed also.

Funny they didn't mention it, or at least I don't think they mentioned it. They probably thought everyone would just figure it out.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Since Jobs was still the CEO when they were working on it, I will say it stands for Steve. :D

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I know....I'm just kidding around....I saw it somewhere else someone said it stands for sucker....so I stole it.....but my iteration would be sheep. Lol. Don't get mad at me people. :) I'm just fooling about. I never said I'm jumping ship either. I'm just holding out till the next go round

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Funny, I heard it stands for "platitudinous buffoonery".
Mmmmmmk. I'll give that one to you. I have no idea what it meant. I'm sure it's some sort of way to fire back at me. But that's ok. I'm not mad.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Mmmmmmk. I'll give that one to you. I have no idea what it meant. I'm sure it's some sort of way to fire back at me. But that's ok. I'm not mad.

You could look it up on Siri if you had it.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I know....I'm just kidding around....I saw it somewhere else someone said it stands for sucker....so I stole it.....but my iteration would be sheep. Lol. Don't get mad at me people. :) I'm just fooling about. I never said I'm jumping ship either. I'm just holding out till the next go round

I know you're kidding. It's not a big deal. There are a lot to people who absolutely will not get this new iPhone for a myriad of reasons. Everyone has their opinion. I don't fault them or point fingers or call names. People do what they think is best for them and their pockets.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
platitudinous - dull and tiresome but with pretensions of significance or originality;

buffoonery - acting like a clown or buffoon

This week's lesson brought to you by http://www.thefreedictionary.com and by the letter 'S'.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
platitudinous - dull and tiresome but with pretensions of significance or originality;

buffoonery - acting like a clown or buffoon

This week's lesson brought to you by http://www.thefreedictionary.com and by the letter 'S'.
The S at the end is a reference to

platitudinou"S"?

That's beautiful and I find it very appropriate ;)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Zipur

Bronze
Aug 26, 2011
Texas
The "S" is for the iterations before they got it right. 4A add to tmobil - fail, 4B- Bigger Screen - fail, 4C- Green Color - failed, 4d- External Antena -failed ...4S (Winner!)

Oct 3, 2009
X2

You could look it up on Siri if you had it.
HAHAHAHAHAA Good one.

I just found out that Android has had a Siri for about a year. I have been playing with it all day. Works slick, but I don't think i'll use more than setting alarms and texting while driving. Pretty funny how it reads out smileys though. Seems Apple is doing a lot of copying of their own with Siri and the new notifications system, etc.

One thing I wish Samsung would copy is visual voice mail. Forgot how handy that was.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
X2

HAHAHAHAHAA Good one.

I just found out that Android has had a Siri for about a year. I have been playing with it all day. Works slick, but I don't think i'll use more than setting alarms and texting while driving. Pretty funny how it reads out smileys though. Seems Apple is doing a lot of copying of their own with Siri and the new notifications system, etc.

One thing I wish Samsung would copy is visual voice mail. Forgot how handy that was.
Yeah, the visual voicemail requires carrier service and software. I think TMo & O2 Droids have it. Also annoyed that my carrier doesn't have it.

Are you posting to the forum from your SGS2? Get use to the Swype yet?

Oct 3, 2009
Yeah, the visual voicemail requires carrier service and software. I think TMo & O2 Droids have it. Also annoyed that my carrier doesn't have it.

Are you posting to the forum from your SGS2? Get use to the Swype yet?

I haven't posted from the S2 yet. Sitting here in front of the Mac so it's easier. I just started playing with the swype keyboard this afternoon and I think it's pretty cool. I saw a jailbreak thing once for the iPhone that was swype but I didn't know what it was so I never looked into it. It actually works good once you get used to it. I have been on iOS for so long I had no idea there were other thoughts on how to do things.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I'll have to admit "4S" sounds a little weird, it doesn't roll off the tongue as well as "3GS"...maybe it's just me but I was hoping for a different name than the "S" line lol.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I haven't posted from the S2 yet. Sitting here in front of the Mac so it's easier. I just started playing with the swype keyboard this afternoon and I think it's pretty cool. I saw a jailbreak thing once for the iPhone that was swype but I didn't know what it was so I never looked into it. It actually works good once you get used to it. I have been on iOS for so long I had no idea there were other thoughts on how to do things.
Even the simple fact that you can long hold vs shifting to get other characters is pretty universal across all the Android keyboards. I Makes composing a letter easier and faster. And for me at least the keyboard is actually my most used app bar none.