What does the "S" stand for in iPhone 4S?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Since Jobs was still the CEO when they were working on it, I will say it stands for Steve. :D
I was thinking "Steve" when I saw the thread title & so I've also decided to get it in black in memory of his iconic turtleneck.
YMMV

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Well now it could stand for "sad" as in how we all feel due to his passing.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I posted iPhone 4S. "for Steve" on Twitter earlier, before I read this thread. Seems I wasn't the only one who thought of it.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
With Chevy vehicles an SS after the name (i.e. Camaro SS) indicates a "Super Sport" package which typically includes certain souped up modifications to the "regular" release. In the case of iPhones it think the single S is meant to convey the same thing, that it is a souped up version of the regular version.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Since Jobs was still the CEO when they were working on it, I will say it stands for Steve. :D
I retract my previous post and agree w/yours "4S" doesn't sound weird to me at all anymore, it fits 4(S)teve totally ;)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Even the simple fact that you can long hold vs shifting to get other characters is pretty universal across all the Android keyboards. I Makes composing a letter easier and faster. And for me at least the keyboard is actually my most used app bar none.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Why type/swype when you can use Siri to compose the letter/email?

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
true dat. but thoes who have swipe know that swipe also does speech to text. so for me swipe is a win. cause you can do all 3 things with swipe 1.reg typing 2.swiping, 3. speech to text. and oh just for thoes who don't know Android has had somthing like Siri for over a year now. and it works very well on the S2.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, we've had voice command and voice dictation for ages so Siri is a catchup tech in my book.

Anyway, background noise or the need to not be distracting to others limits it's usability. Also having to edit/correct things limits dictations appeal.

Lastly I know that Goggles past free 411 service was specifically to develop voice recognition to flex with challenges such as accent. I strongly suspect that Siri has yet to develop that database.

That said I do hope/expect Apple's version is polished as that would create a competitive pressure.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, we've had voice command and voice dictation for ages so Siri is a catchup tech in my book.
Anyway, background noise or the need to not be distracting to others limits it's usability. Also having to edit/correct things limits dictations appeal.

That said I do hope/expect Apple's version is polished as that would create a competitive pressure.
Apple has a knack for doing that. They weren't the first with a graphical user interface, a music player, a touchscreen phone, or a tablet. From the demos I've seen and the first impressions I've read from the people at the event, it looks pretty good.

Android's implementation is decent, but like you said, dictation takes some work. And I don't think the voice command interface is as well thought out. The integration with the alarms, calendar, email, messages, and other features, and the way it is presented on iPhone 4S is way nicer (the way a little paper strip flew up showing the alarm time and the ON switch just kinda tickled me). And the "conversation" is the big thing, I think. The fact that the computer asks for clarification, and retains memory of the context makes this more likely to succeed than conventional voice control which either picks something and runs with it or makes you pick from a multiple choice list.

Android:

"Set an alarm for six o'clock"

15 seconds later, when it finally does detect that my intent was "Set alarm" an error message pops up "In order to use this feature, download a clock application which supports this action from the Android Market." Tap Go to website... "Complete action using... Aurora? Browser? Dolphin? Firefox?..." Tap Browser.

Oh, nuts. "We're sorry, but the information you've requested cannot be found. Please try searching or browsing the Help Center"

There will probably be some kinks to work out like that in the new Siri, but I can imagine that what does work will work pretty well. It's not always the first implementation that makes it take off.

I think third-party integration will come at a later date when the closed system has been solidified (much like how iOS itself started out without sanctioned third-party apps), and then it will really shine.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Apple has a knack for doing that. They weren't the first with a graphical user interface, a music player, a touchscreen phone, or a tablet. From the demos I've seen and the first impressions I've read from the people at the event, it looks pretty good.

Android's implementation is decent, but like you said, dictation takes some work. And I don't think the voice command interface is as well thought out. The integration with the alarms, calendar, email, messages, and other features, and the way it is presented on iPhone 4S is way nicer (the way a little paper strip flew up showing the alarm time and the ON switch just kinda tickled me). And the "conversation" is the big thing, I think. The fact that the computer asks for clarification, and retains memory of the context makes this more likely to succeed than conventional voice control which either picks something and runs with it or makes you pick from a multiple choice list.

Android:

"Set an alarm for six o'clock"

15 seconds later, when it finally does detect that my intent was "Set alarm" an error message pops up "In order to use this feature, download a clock application which supports this action from the Android Market." Tap Go to website... "Complete action using... Aurora? Browser? Dolphin? Firefox?..." Tap Browser.

Oh, nuts. "We're sorry, but the information you've requested cannot be found. Please try searching or browsing the Help Center"

There will probably be some kinks to work out like that in the new Siri, but I can imagine that what does work will work pretty well. It's not always the first implementation that makes it take off.

I think third-party integration will come at a later date when the closed system has been solidified (much like how iOS itself started out without sanctioned third-party apps), and then it will really shine.
That's cool. I saw the video too and if it's really that polished I respect it and am impressed. Not enough to make 3.5" my daily use unit but be sure that'll ***** on my Android sites for a port.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
What did Siri do originally? If it's nothing like what it'll do on the 4S then it hardly matters that it was there in 2009.

Here's my video of voice command. Works on any Android. Doesn't need dual-core. Dates back to my G1, yeah 2yrs+ :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarsReflected?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/Uck47emnCiU

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarsReflected?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/gj9kPMlHv08

Yes, the interactive aspect on Siri is a nice polish. Really though, background noise cuts into the usability of this feature.

BTW: It's hilarious that that link of Siri show's LG & Blackberry as it's sponsors. Likely different on your end but if not, talk about salting the wound.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
What did Siri do originally? If it's nothing like what it'll do on the 4S then it hardly matters that it was there in 2009.

Here's my video of voice command. Works on any Android. Doesn't need dual-core. Dates back to my G1, yeah 2yrs+ :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarsReflected?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/Uck47emnCiU

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarsReflected?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/gj9kPMlHv08

Yes, the interactive aspect on Siri is a nice polish. Really though, background noise cuts into the usability of this feature.

BTW: It's hilarious that that link of Siri show's LG & Blackberry as it's sponsors. Likely different on your end but if not, talk about salting the wound.
I'm sorry I let my thoughts be known. You win. Android rules. We all know specs tell us which phone is truly the best.

By the way, your videos have no audio. That really would help. BUT ANDROID RULES!

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm sorry I let my thoughts be known. You win. Android rules. We all know specs tell us which phone is truly the best.

By the way, your videos have no audio. That really would help. BUT ANDROID RULES!
Yeah, my screencast software doesn't record any audio.

And really, wasn't knocking Siri that much and did say somewhere that I'd both love it to push the competitive landscape and that the interactive aspect is something we don't have.

Just wanted to clarify the competitions history as many Apple consumers tend to believe that Apple is/was the first in everything it does. Not, but Apple does make sure that everything that it does, is done well.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They may not be the first outright, but they're often the first to make stuff relevant, which is what matters in the long run.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
:)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Even the simple fact that you can long hold vs shifting to get other characters is pretty universal across all the Android keyboards. I Makes composing a letter easier and faster. And for me at least the keyboard is actually my most used app bar none.
Hold is a long hold faster than tapping a button? We can get the numbers to display without truly shifting to the next keyboard. You tap the 123 and slide your finger up to a number. As soon as you let go, you're back on the QWERTY keyboard. This saves a lot time. Many iOS users aren't aware of this feature.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Hold is a long hold faster than tapping a button? We can get the numbers to display without truly shifting to the next keyboard. You tap the 123 and slide your finger up to a number. As soon as you let go, you're back on the QWERTY keyboard. This saves a lot time. Many iOS users aren't aware of this feature.
Thanks, I'll actually try to make a habit of using that on the iPhone and iPod.

Anyway, yeah, a long hold is still faster.

In my keyboard below, holding on a character just longer than a tap triggers the character noted in superscripts.

uploadfromtaptalk1318032390018.png

Holding even longer triggers the extended option set under the key. Very useful for other langauges.

uploadfromtaptalk1318032608348.png

Also, dictation is available at the keyboard by triggering the mic key from all apps that use a keyboard.

Of course I am hopeful that yesterdays acquisition of Swype by Nuance does not negatively affect it's availability to Android.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks, I'll actually try to make a habit of using that on the iPhone and iPod.

Anyway, yeah, a long hold is still faster.

In my keyboard below, holding on a character just longer than a tap triggers the character noted in superscripts.

View attachment 16341

Holding even longer triggers the extended option set under the key. Very useful for other langauges.

View attachment 16342

Also, dictation is available at the keyboard by triggering the mic key from all apps that use a keyboard.

Of course I am hopeful that yesterdays acquisition of Swype by Nuance does not negatively affect it's availability to Android.
Do you think Apple will end up buying Nuance?