What does the SDK code release mean?

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Will this mean non Apple people will be able to fix problems with the iPhone? I don't know what the code is exactly or what it will make possible.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
it means they will be hiring developers for applications for the iPhone. these will probably not be free

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
it means they will be hiring developers for applications for the iPhone. these will probably not be free
Why should they be? Try to get a really useful app for the Palm devices that is free. I spent hundreds of $ on my Treo's apps.
Or for the PC.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
sure if they make apps that Apple will cover if they crash the phone and will back up sure then ill pay for it.... the only thing that i will not pay for is camera options, i have seen that there is a person selling more options for the camera for like 20 bucks or so.. that is something that Apple should just fix..

but yes.. im up for paying for good stuff AIM would be one of those, i remember that i bought aim for my treo...

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
jivetalk.com, its a good aim interface, at least I think so. Hell its pretty quick on edge too.

DRzFinest18

Bronze
Dec 9, 2007
New Jersey
how much will the apps cost? The iPhone is my first smartphone or w/e you call it lol.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I doubt anyone knows for sure.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Means Steve finally got his head out of his ass and realized his vision of webapps only was a crappy idea. Expect to pay for them, expect Apple to only select ones that they test and agree with (and sold in iTunes) and expect hackers to figure out how they are transferred to the phone and break it in the month that follow whatever major update happens around the time the first native apps are available.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
wow if there going to cost money then I should have jail-breaked, I thought sdk allowed any company to make an app and as long as Apple passes it then its open and free to the public

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, as someone who doesn't feel comfortable jail breaking their phone, I'm really excited about this! I hope they come out with some really cool games. I wonder if PAC man will ever be available for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Im pretty sure you are all misinformed and ranting about nothing. Sdk is a software development kit that can be used by anyone, Apple will not be "hiring" developers to make apps, companys or small indie devolpers or whoever can make these apps as they please. The apps would not neccisarily cost money but possibly could. And as was disscussed in this thread AIM would defintly be a practical app for the iPhone...but for you to be talking about price is crazy. Do you pay for aim on your computer? Hell no. You most likely won't pay for it on the iPhone either. We have unlimted Internet and full Internet display so aim is no diffrent here than on your computer. So here's my two cents most apps from sdk will be free and a few special service or big corporate ones might cost a couple bucks. Time will only tell...can't wait for feburary.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
so is anybody going to discuss this anymore and argue with me?/ add stuff I missed?

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I agree

so is anybody going to discuss this anymore and argue with me?/ add stuff I missed?
I'm with you. I think most apps will be free, but I do also feel that there will be a lot of apps that you'll have to pay for.

My 2 cents

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
OK. I will discuss. First, I have a stock phone.

I think there are many useful apps that we can expect to pay for. I have already posted before that I would pay for a program that intergrates my to-do's with deadlines and reminders into the calendar app (like my BB had). I tried the web apps for to-do's but it was such a PIA that I just put dealines into the calendar app now, but it is not a nice and clean as the BB was.

I am sure other people here would like to read word or excel documents on the iPhone. I would like native games, too. I would pay for different themes and icons. I am not a hard core businesss user, so I can't think of anything else right now.

If people are spending their time and effort to make apps, then I can expect to pay my money to use the program. I am not sure why so many people think programs should be free because you cannot "feel" them like a case or a set of earbuds.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
as long as there are apps to PAY for, there will always be people working on ways NOT to pay for them. Weither they are hacks or programs that do the same thing, the option will be there.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
HA I love that, priceless, literalliy. You say people want to get paid for there apps there've made. News flash: your wrong. For jailbroken iPhones there's a little thing called installer with hundreds of apps and its all free. People would do just the same with sdk, sure big businesss might charge and a few small developers but hackers and programmars alike will make there apps for fun and for community just like installer. That's my two cents again.

OK. I will discuss. First, I have a stock phone.

I think there are many useful apps that we can expect to pay for. I have already posted before that I would pay for a program that intergrates my to-do's with deadlines and reminders into the calendar app (like my BB had). I tried the web apps for to-do's but it was such a PIA that I just put dealines into the calendar app now, but it is not a nice and clean as the BB was.

I am sure other people here would like to read word or excel documents on the iPhone. I would like native games, too. I would pay for different themes and icons. I am not a hard core businesss user, so I can't think of anything else right now.

If people are spending their time and effort to make apps, then I can expect to pay my money to use the program. I am not sure why so many people think programs should be free because you cannot "feel" them like a case or a set of earbuds.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Sorry if I seem harsh I just feel like argueing and proving my point

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Sorry if I seem harsh I just feel like argueing and proving my point
No problem. You asked for someone to argue with you, so I chimed in. I still think we will get good apps that will cost money. I bought several apps, happily, for my BB.