What does this mean on the screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iPolarbear, Jan 21, 2014.

1. iPolarbear

iPolarbear New Member

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1390318528.286540.jpg
    I am trying to format a new hard drive but when I put the OSX disk in, I can hear it reading the disk then after a few minutes the screen goes blue for about 30 seconds then white again with this showing. Can anyone tell me what it signifies?

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The colored spinning beach ball means a program is not responding. I've never seen the "tire tracks" though.

Try running Disk Utility to repair permissions. Run it 3 or 4 times in a row followed by a restart. Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. You can also run is via the Terminal. That's what I do.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is on the OS install screen, so you are unable to install the OS and get into any applications, correct?

Which version of OS X are you installing?

4. iPolarbear

iPolarbear New Member

I have installed a new hard drive as the old one was corrupted but the tyre tracks have been showing up on the screen for sometime and this is what I got if I tried to boot up on a disk.
    The new drive is a Western Digital green 1TB - old one was Seagate Barracuda 7200. Used ifixit - went well and reseated ram afterwards. Put old drive in caddy - if I try and boot up on that, get the same as when it was in Mac ie Apple, spinning wheel, bar starts 1cm in turns Mac off.

If I try and boot up on Lion recovery flash which I made ages ago or OSX disks or Disk Warrior (bought too late to save old drive) Apple, spinning wheel, after 3 mins blue screen for 30 secs then as in picture. Basically, it is doing the same now as it was before I changed the drive - could there be another problem? Disk is not formatted so am trying to boot up on OSX to start formatting. Have tried original OSX (Tiger) and Snow Leopard.

5. iPolarbear

iPolarbear New Member

And nobody in any of the forums have ever seen this fragment if bar code before (tyre tracks).

6. iPolarbear

iPolarbear New Member

I have taken it to the Genius Bar who couldn't boot it up with their utilities either and they confirmed that the hard drive was too far gone and told me that any generic hard drive certainly up to 1TB would do but that they don't work on Mac of this age. It is an iMac late 2006 2111 2.33Mhz with original 750GB HD. Could it just not be recognizing the new hard drive? But then why would it not boot up on the OSX disks? I did run the Apple Hardware test on the old drive on a loop - 22 hours - said no probs! Just like the utilities. All these problems began after I installed Lion. Could be co- incidence. Had to have a new graphics card a some time ago. Time Machine corrupted about 6 montes ago and that seems to have been the start of these problems.

#6 iPolarbear, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  7. Lani Lei

Lani Lei Guest

Me too. Have never seen the tire tracks, if you want to call it that!