What exactly does the iPhone do that is so "revolutionary"

Status
Not open for further replies.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
What exactly does this phone do that other phones can do? I've come to the conclusion that the answer is nothing. In fact, it's actually a step back in technology.

No picture messaging
No video
No voice recording
Low volume
There are a lot of other phones that already have google maps and MP3 players
Battery isn't removable
No custom ringtones
No instant messaging
No voice dialing

I've just listed TEN BASIC FEATURES that numerous other cell phones have that the iPhone doesn't. How can any device that is lacking the features I posted above be considered "revolutionary"? I guess I bought into the hype like everyone else. Besides looking cool, there really isn't anything sweet about the phone at all. For the first couple of weeks the phone looked cool enough to satisfy me, but not anymore.....

I'm doing all I can to get an offer above 350 locally to sell it, but it seems as though nobody really wants it. Honestly, it's just a pain to use. I miss being able to call someone on my old phone without hitting 95 buttons, or send a funny video, or send a picture for christ's sake.

Jul 1, 2007
What exactly does this phone do that other phones can do? I've come to the conclusion that the answer is nothing. In fact, it's actually a step back in technology.

No picture messaging
No video
No voice recording
Low volume
Battery isn't removable
No custom ringtones
No instant messaging
No voice dialing

I've just listed TEN BASIC FEATURES that numerous other cell phones have that the iPhone doesn't. How can any device that is lacking the features I posted above be considered "revolutionary"? I guess I bought into the hype like everyone else. Besides looking cool, there really isn't anything sweet about the phone at all. For the first couple of weeks the phone looked cool enough to satisfy me, but not anymore.....

I'm doing all I can to get an offer above 350 locally to sell it, but it seems as though nobody really wants it. Honestly, it's just a pain to use. I miss being able to call someone on my old phone without hitting 95 buttons, or send a funny video, or send a picture for christ's sake.
Please stop with the non-sense already. The phone has been a joy to use for many people and I personally can vouch for the fact that *to me* it is the best phone I've ever owned in 10 years of owning cell phones (lots and lots of phones over those years)... by a huge margin. That is revolutionary to me.

I'm sure you've lost more than $300 at some point in your life. Sell it for what you can and move along.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Please stop with the non-sense already. The phone has been a joy to use for many people and I personally can vouch for the fact that *to me* it is the best phone I've ever owned in 10 years of owning cell phones (lots and lots of phones over those years)... by a huge margin. That is revolutionary to me.

I'm sure you've lost more than $300 at some point in your life. Sell it for what you can and move along.
Why don't you try answering my question instead of beating around the bush. What does this phone do that is so "revolutionary"? How can a phone that's missing 10 basic features that tons of other phones have be called revolutionary?

This post was about a serious question. I'm dead serious. What makes this phone revolutionary?

Bboy Trick

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
NJ

No picture messaging
No video
No voice recording
Low volume
Battery isn't removable
No custom ringtones
No instant messaging
No voice dialing

Where do you live man? Im tryin to get one for my birthday this saturday:laugh2:

ceiph

Aug 1, 2007
no phone has an ipod in it.
yes my blackberry can play mp3s but its a pain to use
the pure touch screen
and the internet browser destroys any other phones (yes ive had blackberry connect and using even opera mini is a pain)

3 reasons and thats just the top

No picture messaging (can be fixed with software)
No video (can be fixed with software..... but also why shooting video on a cell sucks)
No voice recording (can be fixed with software but i mean really?)
Low volume (preference)
There are a lot of other phones that already have google maps and MP3 players (as i said google maps on my blackberry worked well, not as easy to use but it work. mp3s however were a pain and didn't have playlists or anything that my iTunes library already has)
Battery isn't removable (its slim. ipods have never been removable, if you didn't know this before buying well ah well)
No custom ringtones (yes there are ways around this plus software)
No instant messaging (there are ways around this..... plus software update)
No voice dialing (both my razr and my bb had this and as neat as it was... i never used it)

so yeah your list of problems are really just whining and being impatient.

iAlex

Jun 27, 2007
Why don't you try answering my question instead of beating around the bush. What does this phone do that is so "revolutionary"? How can a phone that's missing 10 basic features that tons of other phones have be called revolutionary?

This post was about a serious question. I'm dead serious. What makes this phone revolutionary?
i will tell you right now,

the iPhone is a "white canvas" phone.. in any second the phone can be changed. It is a computer running software.. yes yes yes revolutionary? i don't know, but being revolutionary doesn't have to be world changing... the fact that its an ipod / phone / etc all in one is enough to be revolutionary to any fan-boy of Apple or new gadgets... something being revolutionary, doesn't have to be revolutionary to everyone.

Bboy Trick

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
NJ
But what the iPhone has is all in one device! All the stuff you said can be fixed with a good update! and if you watch attack of the show they said that there was hidden apps in the iPhone but will be added in a future update!

PS if i lived closer I would buy it off you!

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
no phone has an ipod in it.
yes my blackberry can play mp3s but its a pain to use
the pure touch screen
and the internet browser destroys any other phones (yes ive had blackberry connect and using even opera mini is a pain)

3 reasons and thats just the top

No picture messaging (can be fixed with software)
No video (can be fixed with software..... but also why shooting video on a cell sucks)
No voice recording (can be fixed with software but i mean really?)
Low volume (preference)
There are a lot of other phones that already have google maps and MP3 players (as i said google maps on my blackberry worked well, not as easy to use but it work. mp3s however were a pain and didn't have playlists or anything that my iTunes library already has)
Battery isn't removable (its slim. ipods have never been removable, if you didn't know this before buying well ah well)
No custom ringtones (yes there are ways around this plus software)
No instant messaging (there are ways around this..... plus software update)
No voice dialing (both my razr and my bb had this and as neat as it was... i never used it)

so yeah your list of problems are really just whining and being impatient.
lol, so you agree that the phone is missing these features. Your only response was, can be fixed with software. So what? There's no guarantee that will happen, and why wouldn't the phone have came with these options in the first place?

An Ipod is just an MP3 player, you know that, right? A lot of phones have them. The internet browser is the best, but that doesn't make it "revolutionary". Look up revolutionary in the dictionary. Other phones have them, and some are pretty comparable. I'd rather have another phones browser and be able to send pics, take video, record voice etc...

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
the fact that its an ipod / phone / etc all in one is enough to be revolutionary to any fan-boy of Apple or new gadgets... something being revolutionary, doesn't have to be revolutionary to everyone.
An ipod is just an MP3 player, tons of phones have MP3 players and can do everything the iPhone can and more.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
That's the most basic thing I always hear from people with Treos, BB, and the matter.

I say this: "Ok open your device, play a song (specify here), go open cnn.com, check a stock quote that is NOT saved (specify), type a simple text to each other that is about 4 sentences, review an old voicemail, check an e-mail message, find the closest 711 gas station, take a picture, and set an alarm for 8:00am. First one done wins"

I bet everyone $5 before I do this cause I'm very very sure I'll win.....and possibly they will crash (actually happened to someone)

The revolution TO ME isn't so much what you can do, but how easy it is and how pleasurable it is. People underestimate the importance of GUI (Graphical user interfaces). Things are so fast and easy, plus the SMALL SIZE! That impresses me that I don't have to carry it on my hip.

It's not for everyone, just like cars. Some people don't see the need for BMW when a Honda does the same thing.....hopefully you see the difference though (leather, power, comfort, quality interior and exterior technology, etc) Sell your iPhone if you are not happy about, I'm sorry you were not impressed.

iAlex

Jun 27, 2007
An ipod is just an MP3 player, tons of phones have MP3 players and can do everything the iPhone can and more.

rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y

-radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.

i believe you don't realize the scale of the word revolutionary, just the fact it has a browser / phone / and an ipod makes it innovative. ok call the most popular Mp3 player ever created just any other mp3 players.. ok phone, mp3, browser has been done. Mac OsX on a phone hasn't.. revolutionary!

we win you lose.. go back to everythingdenial.com

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
revolutionary?

lol, so you agree that the phone is missing these features. Your only response was, can be fixed with software. So what? There's no guarantee that will happen, and why wouldn't the phone have came with these options in the first place?

An Ipod is just an MP3 player, you know that, right? A lot of phones have them. The internet browser is the best, but that doesn't make it "revolutionary". Look up revolutionary in the dictionary. Other phones have them, and some are pretty comparable. I'd rather have another phones browser and be able to send pics, take video, record voice etc...

For one it may be revolutionary, for another it may not be. It doesn't matter what it has or doesn't have. For me it's an amazing phone and it far ahead of anything else. It's its own device there is nothing else like it. It's like comparing Apples & oranges. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But don't sit there and tell everyone that it's not a revolutionary phone when maybe for them it is.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
That's the most basic thing I always hear from people with Treos, BB, and the matter.

I say this: "Ok open your device, play a song (specify here), go open cnn.com, check a stock quote that is NOT saved (specify), type a simple text to each other that is about 4 sentences, review an old voicemail, check an e-mail message, find the closest 711 gas station, take a picture, and set an alarm for 8:00am. First one done wins"

I bet everyone $5 before I do this cause I'm very very sure I'll win.....and possibly they will crash (actually happened to someone)
If I were one of your friends I'd say ok, send me a picture, record our conversation, change your ring tone to your favorite song, send me a video. You'd feel pretty stupid, sort of like you will when you read this.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y

-radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.

i believe you don't realize the scale of the word revolutionary, just the fact it has a browser / phone / and an ipod makes it innovative. ok call the most popular Mp3 player ever created just any other mp3 players.. ok phone, mp3, browser has been done. Mac OsX on a phone hasn't.. revolutionary!

we win you lose.. go back to everythingdenial.com
So if I create a cell phone that weighs 145lbs and claim that since it can withstand a blow from a sledge hammer, that's revolutionary? Based on your definition it would be, but how relevant is that when the thing weighs 145lbs? I'd rather have a phone that weights 5 ounces and would shatter upon being hit with a hammer. The things that make the iPhone revolutionary have little or no use. Just as the 145lb phone does.

Just as much as I'd rather have a phone that can actually do basic things over one that just looks cool. The phone fails the functionality test big time. It has show but no go.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
If I were one of your friends I'd say ok, send me a picture, record our conversation, change your ring tone to your favorite song, send me a video. You'd feel pretty stupid, sort of like you will when you read this.

Just curious. Name a phone that can record a phone conversation. I've never heard of one. If it's possible I want one.

Thanks!

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Just curious. Name a phone that can record a phone conversation. I've never heard of one. If it's possible I want one.

Thanks!
My old Env could, and it was the original EnV. You can only hear the voice on the other end, but there's a few 3 way calling tricks you can use to record both voices.

iAlex

Jun 27, 2007
So if I create a cell phone that weighs 145lbs and claim that since it can withstand a blow from a sledge hammer, that's revolutionary? Based on your definition it would be, but how relevant is that when the thing weighs 145lbs? I'd rather have a phone that weights 5 ounces and would shatter upon being hit with a hammer. The things that make the iPhone revolutionary have little or no use. Just as the 145lb phone does.

Just as much as I'd rather have a phone that can actually do basic things over one that just looks cool. The phone fails the functionality test big time. It has show but no go.
then you proved your issue with the iPhone wrong, the iPhone is revolutionary, just like a 145 lb phone would be too..

lock thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.