What excuse will Apple make when...

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Ok, for the record I do love my iPhone...probably too much, in fact.

But I'm very curious as to what will happen when HTC's "Hero" ( http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html ), an android-based phone, is launched next month--WITH flash support for a full mobile internet experience?

Will Apple continue to say their battery just can't handle Flash? That'll sound weird if the Hero's does and seems to work just fine.
Will they say Flash is a gluttonous, memory-hogging piece of software that needs "refining" before its introduced to a mobile platform? Maybe so, but, again, the same question will remain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Hero to be an iPhone killer or anything (though it does look pretty sleek); it just seems as though it should leave us scratching our heads at some of the excuses Apple's used up to this point as to why they HAVEN'T included it.

Just my 0.02
Cheers everyone
-C

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I hope it's a better phone than the HTC touch pro, talk about a worthless phone.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Sigh, the only reason Apple hasn't released Flash is because Flash is a very controlling program. I forget the details, but something about the SDK limits flash.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
Flash in itself is a development platform. With flash on the iPhone, Apple lose their control over what happens on the iPhone.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Apple will say "go buy the hero". A company of that stature will not really care. They will only make changes if and when they want to, or they decide they are loosing grip of the market.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It will be late, but the iPhone will eventually have flash, just like we will have MMS this summer.
Initially Apple said that MMS is antiquated and you should just use email -which we all know doesn't help when you want to send a picture to someone without an iPhone. MMS might be antiquated, but it's still widely used and leaving it out of the original iPhone OS was a mistake that they now see.
Flash (is not antiquated) is going to be treated pretty much the same way. They are going to say that it's not needed, but eventually in order to stay ahead of the competition, they are going to have to include it. Otherwise, the "rich browsing experience" is not going to be as rich as other smart phones, killing a big selling point of the iPhone.